Planning to do CCR. thinking of JJ-CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How heavy is it roughly?
Without tanks, I would guess upper 30 pound range. It is also quite large.
Not that my standard Optima is better for size, it is a huge beast as well for packing.
Everything is a tradeoff with rebreathers. I'm not knocking the JJ, the size and weight is really its only mocking point, it is a good unit.

It’s still heavy and can be a pain to travel with. Doable but you’ve gotta do some tetris getting your bags packed light enough

What CCR is travel friendly? P2? Poseidon?

Choptima, sidewinder, revo micro, are all incredibly travel friendly. I'm sure there are more, but I have experience with those.
Again, everything is a tradeoff, you need to weigh your needs.
I have a preference from that list, but others will have different feelings.

The guy is shopping for a JJ, I doubt a Poseidon or P2 are on that same list. If they are, I would wonder what the qualifiers are for that list.

Travel friendly is one of the primary reasons I choose a rEvo micro Titanium. My plan was to get on an airplane with it. Just barely small enough to pass off as my carry on luggage.

Maybe not my first choice if all my diving was local, or caves, or 100m dives. But for travel and 60m/200ft dives I am happy with it. But that is what I wanted a rebreather for. Based on my planned use.

@LanceRiley,
As other have mentioned, the JJ is a heavier than most other rebreathers on the market when comparing to standard on-board dil/O2 configuration. However, depending on how often you plan to fly, packing it for flying is not that big of concern when considering all the gear (wetsuit/drysuit, fins, regs, etc) you will be traveling with. Depending on the airline and their baggage requirements, between checked bag and one carry for the head+etc, you should be good to go.

For you goals and support available to you, it is a solid option.

Disclaimer: Dive both a JJ and a sidewinder (primarily sidemount, but also backmount).

i know of wrecks in my area at 70m-110m

i thought of JJCCR since theres an instructor available. actually my tech instructor. very accessible

If that is the case I would go with the JJ.

Aside for the fact that the JJ is an extremely reliable robust unit. I see your located in the Philippines I would base your unit choice a lot on this because the support for the unit will be difficult. If you have a JJ instructor near you then he/she can assist you, mentor, and if you have problems with your unit can help with repairs/spare parts, also chances are there are other JJ divers in your area then if there is an instructor so this also gives you the opportunity to dive with other JJ divers that can assist and bounce ideas around with. For example lets just say hypothetically you go with an XCCR and now you do all your diving with your JJ friends and JJ instructor near you and then maybe your MAV button is sticky and needs a new o-ring and you dont have any and you forgot how to disassemble your MAV. So now you have to wait weeks to order in an o-ring kit to the Philippines and then try and figure out how to replace it. If you were on a JJ its highly likely your instructor or fellow dive buddy would have an oring they could lend you and show you how to change it. Also every year when you need to replace your cells you can do a group order with your friends to split the shipping cost or chances are the instructor near you places a couple order a year for other customers or misc parts so you could just tag onto that order.

I too live in Asia and also have a JJ and know about 10 other JJ divers in my area and it makes things alot easier. I also have another unit that only 1 other person has and it make things much more difficult.

Secondly it seems like there are lots of comments about traveling and how heavy the JJ is. I travel with my JJ all the time! If you compare similar units the weight of them is all about them same im not to sure why everyone is saying the JJ is extremely heavy. For back mounted, ECCR, onboard gas, large duration scrubber units the JJ is in the same weight rage as other units if not lighter. Especially if your diving in the tropics go with AL back plate and S19 tanks. For example a JJ with no tanks and AL backplate is about 18.5kg travel weight. A Revo Micro Ti is 15kg. In the grand scheme of traveling with tech diving gear 3.5kg difference is absolutely nothing.

Tha
If that is the case I would go with the JJ.

Aside for the fact that the JJ is an extremely reliable robust unit. I see your located in the Philippines I would base your unit choice a lot on this because the support for the unit will be difficult. If you have a JJ instructor near you then he/she can assist you, mentor, and if you have problems with your unit can help with repairs/spare parts, also chances are there are other JJ divers in your area then if there is an instructor so this also gives you the opportunity to dive with other JJ divers that can assist and bounce ideas around with. For example lets just say hypothetically you go with an XCCR and now you do all your diving with your JJ friends and JJ instructor near you and then maybe your MAV button is sticky and needs a new o-ring and you dont have any and you forgot how to disassemble your MAV. So now you have to wait weeks to order in an o-ring kit to the Philippines and then try and figure out how to replace it. If you were on a JJ its highly likely your instructor or fellow dive buddy would have an oring they could lend you and show you how to change it. Also every year when you need to replace your cells you can do a group order with your friends to split the shipping cost or chances are the instructor near you places a couple order a year for other customers or misc parts so you could just tag onto that order.

I too live in Asia and also have a JJ and know about 10 other JJ divers in my area and it makes things alot easier. I also have another unit that only 1 other person has and it make things much more difficult.

Secondly it seems like there are lots of comments about traveling and how heavy the JJ is. I travel with my JJ all the time! If you compare similar units the weight of them is all about them same im not to sure why everyone is saying the JJ is extremely heavy. For back mounted, ECCR, onboard gas, large duration scrubber units the JJ is in the same weight rage as other units if not lighter. Especially if your diving in the tropics go with AL back plate and S19 tanks. For example a JJ with no tanks and AL backplate is about 18.5kg travel weight. A Revo Micro Ti is 15kg. In the grand scheme of traveling with tech diving gear 3.5kg difference is absolutely nothing.
thanks! You suggested aluminum plate…. Any chance i can use a helium titanium backplate? 😉

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom