Planning a trip to Indonesia? - Watch out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
If you're thinking of going to Indonesia in 3 years, watch out. Don't bring a girlfriend. You could go to jail if you're caught cohabiting. Bring a marriage certificate if you're traveling with your wife!

There must be an election coming up ! My husband and I have been married for 25 years, I did not change my name, as is the norm in my country of origin, and we certainly don’t travel with our marriage certificate. In Egypt if one partner is from a Muslim country, I believe that a marriage certificate is required for two people of the opposite sex to check into a hotel. Am sure that Indonesia will get around this with various exemptions.

Even if this does go through, it won't affect tourists.
Just like their alcohol ban, there are exemptions in the tourist hotels in Jakarta and all of Bali.
On this bill specifically, it says complaints can only be filed by family members.

A couple of facts:
1. In this proposal's current form, charges can only be brought against someone for out-of-marriage relations and/or cohabiting by a family member.

2. The sex before marriage and cohabitation laws already exist in many areas of Indonesia and can be enforced by certain organizations such as the public order police called SATPOL PP. This would take the ability to enforce these regulations away from them unless charges are brought by a close relative and ending their "morality raids" on hotels and such.

3. In my 14 years of living in Indonesia, alcohol has never been more readily available and cheaper in Bali and Jakarta than it is now.

A quick opinion:
1. We go through this with sex and booze every year or two. This, too, will soon pass. It makes for great clickbait and gives attention to certain politicians, religious leaders, and western media organizations.

Only children or the spouse can report. Without a report no case. And the report always involves both of the couple involved. So, absolutely nothing to do with visiting tourists.
Indonesia does not have any financial social security in case a spouse is left behind by his (usually by her) partner. By the way, divorce is legal in Indonesia as well. Very bad journalism and cheap click-bait.

Back
Top Bottom