Planned deco on a recreational dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a presumption, it's a fact...

newer gear or ideas shouldn't be presumed to be improved or safer.
But, in this case, it is a demonstrable fact, based on fewer deaths but a much larger diving population.

But, in this case, it is a demonstrable fact, based on fewer deaths but a much larger diving population.

I cannot say population size based on the number of certifications matter here. While in the 80's (which is where I came out of), there were fewer divers, those that dove I would suspect had a higher participation rate. Now there are many 1 dive in life only divers. Back then it was too costly and too much of an effort to get certified just to walk away from it. While it happened, I bet it was much rarer then today.

I have not seen statistics but the only ones that would count are based on rate and type of dive, i.e. X deaths/injuries per Y dives. The fact that there are fewer deaths can be attached to a lot of factors including stronger insurance regulation of types of dives being done. I have looked for these types of statistics but have never found them.

I also take exception to the common statement that gear in the 80's or earlier is outdated now. I bet that the design of the most parts of your gear including the regulator have not changed much if any going back often to the 60's. Some material improvements have happened including more use of silicon and the computer and associated algorithms but in general the gear is the same. I do not think that the spring loaded anti-kick... .what ever fins are a game changer in these stats.

There are some major changes in areas such as in deep and cave diving. The training has become formal rather then just mentor based. These areas have seen a drastic change in the death rate. I do not believe that the same can be said for general recreational diving.

I also take exception to the common statement that gear in the 80's or earlier is outdated now. I bet that the design of the most parts of your gear including the regulator have not changed much if any going back often to the 60's. Some material improvements have happened including more use of silicon and the computer and associated algorithms but in general the gear is the same. I do not think that the spring loaded anti-kick... .what ever fins are a game changer in these stats.

There are some major changes in areas such as in deep and cave diving. The training has become formal rather then just mentor based. These areas have seen a drastic change in the death rate. I do not believe that the same can be said for general recreational diving.
I would mostly put the 1980s in the current epoch. Go back much further, and you do NOT find: SPG, computer, BCD, modern tables/algorithms, safety stops, and the list goes on.

I would mostly put the 1980s in the current epoch. Go back much further, and you do NOT find: SPG, computer, BCD, modern tables/algorithms, safety stops, and the list goes on.

So, do you really think my original Scubapro Pilot is too old? It is old and mostly abandoned technology and it is a bit complex but I doubt if there is current technology that can out-perform it. Not that anyone would notice much difference on a recreational dive.

So, do you really think my original Scubapro Pilot is too old? It is old and mostly abandoned technology and it is a bit complex but I doubt if there is current technology that can out-perform it. Not that anyone would notice much difference on a recreational dive.
I do not know if it is too old. Are you worried about it? If were old enough to have a CO2 cartridge in it, then that ought to be disabled. I should add an alternate second stage/octopus to the list of we-didn't-used-to-have-them-and-we-are-better-off-now.

I do not know if it is too old. Are you worried about it? If were old enough to have a CO2 cartridge in it, then that ought to be disabled. I should add an alternate second stage/octopus to the list of we-didn't-used-to-have-them-and-we-are-better-off-now.

CO2 cartridge!!! The pilot I am talking about is a regulator.

CO2 cartridge!!! The pilot I am talking about is a regulator.
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Scubapro Pilot BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom