Planned deco on a recreational dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use the TP as a data point, and factor in other conditions (current, surge, stressors that could increase breathing rate, depth profiles, and other factors that could be factored in "on the fly"). TP is calculated on an assumption of "static" conditions. Based on what I experienced on the way in, I would move that value up or down accordingly as the dive progressed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
then seeing as the 'current, surge, stressors that could increase breathing rate, depth profiles' are unknown then your TP is the controlling factor as its real time -stage diving will work after you have knowns
you may have some points in your original comments but in my view TP is the gas plan in this situation volumes are best guesses

I wish I had teeth as nice as your dogs.

I've reread the entire thread out of curiosity and can not figure out who you are referring to, or what it might mean. Please humor me.

On topic: I draw the line for "recreational" when I can no longer directly ascent to take my next breath from the surface. If I have a deco 'ceiling' I'm now wanting to be prepared for solving issues underwater instead of calling the dive and heading up. If the group I'm with is skilled and experienced enough to do this, I'll plan however much deco obligation we feel comfortable with.

Regards,
Cameron

I've reread the entire thread out of curiosity and can not figure out who you are referring to, or what it might mean. Please humor me.

Just above my post was a post from Doby45. Just take a look at the chompers on that puppy!

106644.jpg

Just above my post was a post from Doby45. Just take a look at the chompers on that puppy!

@Doby45 haha fantastic, how could I have missed such a stunning set of pearly whites.

I routinely plan for deco on rec dives below 100 ft, or including overheads, or with foreseeable hazards.

That is, make a deco plan for staying 10 ft deeper, 5-10 min longer than intended. That way I get an idea of how to use our air if things go wrong, how much we need, and what the turn pressure should be. "Ride the PDC up" gets reckless at 100-130 ft already.

I know that's not the OP's idea of planned deco... but a plan should assume at least one thing going wrong. Just for a single contingency at 130 ft and 5 minutes to deal with it, 80 cu.ft. is only borderline enough.

Last edited:
And the point of diving outside your training range is...?
To push the limits of said "Training".. You don't need to pay someone to learn.. How the hell did the first guy get his card.. There is not one thing that a diver can't learn on his own.. Baby steps.. A mentor... Being smart about the risk.. I'm going to side mount a pair of 40's... Do you think I need someone to give me a card... I don't..

Jim...

Why would you need a formal training for everything?

Now, I see a quite big difference between a 10 minutes deco obligation and an overhead environment. In the former one you can neglect your deco obligation and run the risk of DCS. With an overhead, the penalty may be A LOT WORSE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom