Plain and simple, which do u prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plana Avantis suck... well, not totally... if you're coming from those cheap grocery snorkeling sets that sell for $14... then the Avantis are ok.

I have a pair... I bought them when I was taking my OW classes since they were one of the cheapest fins available at the time.. I was already eyeing the Quattros back then.

The Quattros not only have 4 channels, but are a lot longer, stiffer, thicker, and are made of slightly different materials.

I'd really like to try and race someone with either Jets or Quattros... just for fun.

Oh, and between the Volos and the Tigers, I'd go for the Volos. The Tigers also have the OPB technology, but Dacor doesn't use Mares' channel thrust, which I feel is what makes Mares fins better. The OPB thing is just a bonus... makes finning easier, but doesn't make the fin faster.

If you want a good all-around performer, I think you'd be better off with the Quattros. I'm saving up to buy a pair myself. The Volos are cool... fast...sleek looking. But in really strong currents, they don't perform as well as the Quattros and are more expensive.

They are NOT bad fins... they are actually better than most, and faster than almost all the fins I've tried... I'm comparing the Volos against the older Quattros here which are, on their won, one of the best fins out there already.

I'd say stick with the Mares line over Dacor...they may be the same company now...but there are slight differences, that make all the difference! :wink:

I really appreciate your input guys:pong:

You want paddles, eh?

How bout considering good old Jetfins?

Great fin, decent price, great control.

And the Plana Avantis, for the price, are decent performers.

2 channel, 4 channel...who cares...the motors are in your legs, not the fins. I really don't see the purpose of being *fast* underwater...all it does is kill your bottom time.

I would say go with the Quattro's. I love them, they work well, and lots of power, but also pretty efficient.

Volo's are nice too, as long as you dont dive doubles. Then they suck...

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
And the Plana Avantis, for the price, are decent performers.

2 channel, 4 channel...who cares...the motors are in your legs, not the fins. I really don't see the purpose of being *fast* underwater...all it does is kill your bottom time.

The point is not to go fast... it's to test your fin's efficiency.

Yes, the motors are your legs..but the transmission are your fins... you can have the best motors in the world... but if your transmission sucks... you'll be wasting a LOT of power.

The Volos provide a lot of speed with very little effort... but not much power. So diver towing, or finning against currents isn't that good.

Jets and Quattros provide a lot of power and speed, relative to the amount of effort you put into them... the stronger your legs are, the more power you can get... so towing, and currents are not a problem.

What I am curious about is the theoretical speed difference between Volos and Jets/Quattros. I wanna see if I can swim a lot faster than a Jet/Quat diver, with a lot less effort in calm waters.

It's of no real use... just out of curiosity.

And it does matter how efficient your fins are... if it didn't matter.. then we wouldn't need fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom