Plain and simple, which do u prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bebo

Contributor
Reaction score
First, let's just assume (remember, just assuming:wink: ) that I prefer paddle fins. The question is for those of you w/ enough experience AND those of you who actually tried the gear that I'm about to mention.
Plain and simple, which of the following fins would you choose and/or recommend?. But more important, are they worth the money or should I stick w/ something cheap.?

a) Mares Volo
b) Mares Avanti Quattro
c) Dacor Tiger Blue

Remeber, my intention is not to stir the fin world. I'm just gathering information to try (I can only try) to make an educated decision. I don't care about any brand in particular, heck! I'm new at this.

Thx for all the help I can get.:)

I'm not sure I understand who you want to reply, but here goes.

I use split fins because I have bad knees (surgery) and they are easier on the knees. My wife uses a scuba pro fin with a flex in them because she says they are easoer on her legs.

The foot pocket is a bit small.

Great for frogs, backing up, etc.

Pretty cheap. $60 or so at LP. IIRC.

Peter

i like the mares Quattros.

Stiff enough to produce some torque but supple enough not to hurt the feet. Huge foot pocket that prevents cramping and can be worn with dry suit boots.

I am finding that a shorter fin makes it easier to walk around on a boat or just before you jump in at a land entry.

Of the three you list I'd go with the Quattro's. I own both Quattro's and Volo's. I use the Quattro's for my dry suit and the Volo's for my wet suit. I do really like the volo's, but It's up to you if the extra cost is really worth it. If you can, get a hold of a set of each and give them a try. As far as I know the Dacor Tigers are just a Volo with a slightly different shape and color...

Steve

bebo once bubbled...
First, let's just assume (remember, just assuming:wink: ) that I prefer paddle fins. The question is for those of you w/ enough experience AND those of you who actually tried the gear that I'm about to mention.
Plain and simple, which of the following fins would you choose and/or recommend?. But more important, are they worth the money or should I stick w/ something cheap.?

a) Mares Volo
b) Mares Avanti Quattro
c) Dacor Tiger Blue

Ok, I have the Volo fins... cuz I thought they were supposed to be faster than the Quattros... I may still be proven right... although I've heard that the Volos are very weak when doing alternate kicks or swimming through current.

The thing with these fins (spilts and other weird ones like the Volo 'hinge') is that they assume calm waters. In strong currents, vortices and other hydrodynamic anomalies form and make these fins lose their speed advantage. The Quattros however are basic paddles... running on a simple channel technology.

They are harder to paddle than the Volos, but provide more 'raw' power.

Think of a sports car vs. a 4x4 truck... I haven't raced anyone with Quattros yet, but I will tell you that there was a time that I was leading a dive group (and I wasn't finning fast at all) ... and the only one who could keep up with me was another guy wearing Volos as well... and I don't mean by a few feet... I almost lost the group I was leading (my Volos were still new and I wasn't aware of how much faster they would make me) ... I was practically 20-30 feet ahead...without my knowing it.

The Quattros and the SP Jetfins provide RAW power... brute force... the harder you fin, the faster you go, the heavier they get. Basic physics... the splits, and hinge technologies rely on certain conditions that have to be met. The splits, and Volos work best with higher kick frequency... unfortunately they hit their limit with how many kick cycles you can make... and no matter how 'hard' you fin, it won't make you go faster... you have to fin FASTER to go faster, not harder.

Another analogy I can think of is gears on a bicycle. Low gear is easier to pedal ... higher gears need more brute force.

Thx guys, I appreciate your help.:)

I have used the Quattros and like them, but frankly you get more bang for the buck with the plain old Plana Avanti or the Genesis Aquaflex (same fin, different label). It offers 90% of the performance for 50% of the price.

In any case they are power fins and you needs the legs to match to take full advantage of them. If you have strong legs, I think you woul do well with them. If not, go with a split fin.

DA Aquamaster:

"Plana Avanti or the Genesis Aquaflex (same fin, different label)."

Oh, man are you joking!!!!??

Both of THOSE fins have only two channels and the Quattros have four-hence quattro.

It's just those 2 channels that make ALL the difference.......

doesn't it?? maybe not-huh?. Oh, probably not at all....they are the same.

Back
Top Bottom