pissed right now...grrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd steer well away from Sudafed if you might be completing deep dives and/or subject to narcosis. Most 'non-drowsy' Sudafed contains stimulatants (pseudo-ephidrine or simular) that can really have a nasty effect at depth.

I used Sudafed once when I was doing my AOW course many years ago. Approaching the bottom of my deep dive I experience really strong heart palpitations, trembling and agitation. It was a very unpleasant experience.

Was it taken from the restaurant at the blue hole or from inside the truck/jeep at Canyon?

from inside the truck at Canyon... I was told my the DM that the bag would be safe inside the truck. Perhaps the driver did not lock the truck or had the windows down, I don't know... at the Blue Hole we stopped for lunch and when I reached in to take my cash from the pocket in the backpack there was nothing there. Of course the dive op claims this type of thing is unheard of, hmm..

Extremely fortunate that it was only a small sum of money that I had brought as a tip for the DM and a few bucks for lunch and there was nothing else of value in the pack.

DAN has an article on the use of medications while diving.

I'd steer well away from Sudafed if you might be completing deep dives and/or subject to narcosis. Most 'non-drowsy' Sudafed contains stimulatants (pseudo-ephidrine or simular) that can really have a nasty effect at depth.

I used Sudafed once when I was doing my AOW course many years ago. Approaching the bottom of my deep dive I experience really strong heart palpitations, trembling and agitation. It was a very unpleasant experience.

Andy,

Do you normally react to narcosis with a feeling of anxiety? I'm wondering if the pseudoephedrine enhanced your normal reaction to narcosis or if it created something totally different.

I have read that pseudoephedrine can be a central nervous system (CNS) exciter and therefore not recommended for enriched air diving but this is the first time I heard it causing heart palpitations, trembling and agitation.

I've never used Sudafed on deep dives but that was just luck that I never needed it. I do however get dark narc and a slight feeling of anxiety even when not on any medication.

Darrell

This is a potential problem that DAN notes when talking about this kind of a drug. Some people experience these kind of reactions and should definitely steer clear of them while diving. Other people do not have those kind of reactions. DAN strongly recommends not using any medication while diving until you are sure of its effects on you personally.

I used to use Sudafed because of chronic sinus problems that made it difficult to clear my ears. I no longer use it because I dive enough these days that I don't have that kind of a need and because I am afraid of the very reaction that Andy describes.

The other issue with sudafed is it can wear off on a dive leading to reverse block.

Ibuprofen won't, but Advil* probably will

LMAO!
Yeah, silly of me.. I looked at what I took and it's 200mg Ibuprofen Advil, no wonder it did not work. I just got some Clarinase (120mg Pseudoephredine sulfate and 5mg Loratadine) and will use it. I have taken Sudafed once before while diving and had really good results but I don't use it regularly but I will for this dive!

One thing I have noticed is that when the water is really warm, say 80F or so (Caribbean waters)..I hardly have any problems equalizing. It gets tougher as the temps drop. I wonder if there is any demonstrated evidence of water temperature and ability to equalize.

Temps here in the Red Sea are now around 70F and in addition i'm not wearing a hood and in a 5 mil...

from inside the truck at Canyon... I was told my the DM that the bag would be safe inside the truck. Perhaps the driver did not lock the truck or had the windows down, I don't know... at the Blue Hole we stopped for lunch and when I reached in to take my cash from the pocket in the backpack there was nothing there. Of course the dive op claims this type of thing is unheard of, hmm..

Extremely fortunate that it was only a small sum of money that I had brought as a tip for the DM and a few bucks for lunch and there was nothing else of value in the pack.

Its far from unheard of. Wonder if the driver didn't lock the truck then buggered off to one of the restaurants to sleep while you dived. Its sad but it does happen and without fail its the kids doing it. Lighthouse is another great place to get things stolen (they'll even take spare weights if its shallow enough for them to collect).

Wonder which driver and guide you had.

It's not as bad as Malta though where you leave you vehicle unlocked - that way they wont smash the windows to break in to look through your car while diving!

Andy, Do you normally react to narcosis with a feeling of anxiety? I'm wondering if the pseudoephedrine enhanced your normal reaction to narcosis or if it created something totally different.\l

That was my first deep dive, in a dark water, cold quarry. I've never suffered badly from narcosis since though, including some very deep air dives. It was a long time ago... so my recollection isn't brilliant... but it didn't feel like any narcosis I have experienced since.

I used to take sudafed so ofted they called me scubafed. Aspirin wont help but sorry about the missed dive, but theres always 1-2 days later or another trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom