pissed right now...grrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I have noticed is that when the water is really warm, say 80F or so (Caribbean waters)..I hardly have any problems equalizing. It gets tougher as the temps drop. I wonder if there is any demonstrated evidence of water temperature and ability to equalize.
I have noticed the same thing. Others have reported it also. I am hesitant to draw conclusions based on my own experience, since my cold water diving was done when I was a new diver, and new divers frequently have clearing difficulties. I don't dive in truly cold water any more, and I generally don't have any clearing difficulties in tropical water down to 20ºC (68ºF).

Last edited:
Greetings Devon I feel your pain my friend.
Beware the Pseudoephredine it can and will cause issues with your physiology and not recommended for diving.
I have suffered both the reverse block and the non-equalization at deeper depths.
Never is it at a good time! IT JUST PLAIN SUCKS!
If you dive enough it will happen.
I try to keep the ENT on my good side and before big trips make sure to stack the deck in my favor if possible.
I commend you on your call, there is no single dive worth ending your diving career!

The cash is unfortunate but predictable.
If outside the US take it with you in a waterproof bag, "zip lock aquasealed" .
My DS undergarment has a inside pocket or I put it between my dive skin and my wet suit.
It is not always comfortable but always with me.
I am giving advice but one never knows, you can do all the preventative measures and misplace it yourself! Only my wife can testify to this! DXXB WITNESSES they always tell on you!

Glad you are ok and you will get it nest time don't sweet it!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

I used to take sudafed so ofted they called me scubafed. Aspirin wont help but sorry about the missed dive, but theres always 1-2 days later or another trip.

Not good. As well as a major increase in the risk of a reverse block taking it for 2-3 days in a row or longer can lead to the rebound effect which actually makes you MORE congested.

I repeated the dive today taking pseudoephredine 1 hour before the dive. Unfortunately it didn't help and I still could not equalize my left ear. After a few minutes of trying I do manage to equalize while descending super slow, after 10m or so things settle down and descending further than that has no issues at all. The problem resurfaces when I get a very painful reverse block again at around 6m. Ascending is painful and I fear I will blow my ear out! It took me 10 entire mintues to ascend the remaining 6m and with a lot of pain.

I did have very slight congestion the night before but in the morning I was breathing normally and felt good with no nose blockages. Not sure why I am having such a tough time now since my 5 dives earlier this month in Aqaba were uneventful in terms of equalization. I was hoping to do the Thislegorm in 3 days but will probably do a test dive the day before to check if my ears are still co-operating. Otherwise I may just rent a snorkel and go snorkeling... will dive the Thislegorm when I get new ears that actually work LOL <sarcasm>!

The Blue Hole dive btw was great, similar to the back wall of Molokini although I think there is more reef life in Molokini than here.

Dehydration (or just not drinking enough) causes congestion combined with the really dry air (ok so weather currently isnt exactly normal).

Pseudoephedrine before a dive like that isn't good and is potentially dangerous. Rebound and reverse block could screw up further diving. If you're still in Dahab then go to the Blue House Thai and ask for whatever meal you want spicy. That'll clear any congestion guaranteed!

Not good. As well as a major increase in the risk of a reverse block taking it for 2-3 days in a row or longer can lead to the rebound effect which actually makes you MORE congested.

I do not take decongestants anymore. I know when not to dive and respect it.

Forced a dive with congestion and could not dive for three months after waiting for my ear to get better and tube to clear of snot.

It's not worth it.

Yeah, now I have some slight blockage in my left ear, hopefully it will clear by itself soon.... but it looks like my diving is done till my ears get better... sucks but that's life!

I'd go see an ENT and make sure something else isn't happening there.

Yeah, now I have some slight blockage in my left ear, hopefully it will clear by itself soon.... but it looks like my diving is done till my ears get better... sucks but that's life!

If you're still in Dahab go to see Dr Heikel at the chamber. A proper hyperbaric doctor and he (and the other staff there) are good....unlike the other ones in town that are more like Dr Nick off simpsons!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom