pissed right now...grrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My lifelong dream was to dive the Blue hole of Dahab, so I arrive in Dahab and do a few dives without issues, but today I'm scheduled to do the Canyon and the Blue Hole but my body has other plans. My ears which were fine yesterday diving some nameless reef are acting up today and REFUSE to equalize. Absolutely no idea what the problem is because I have no colds whatsoever. To be safe I specifically took an Advil in the morning to help but it made no difference. I managed to equalize after 6 mins on the first dive and completed the Canyon thanks to the very patient DM from Poseidon divers. However, on the MAIN HIGHLIGHT DIVE, the Blue Hole, my ears flat out refused, after 6-7 mins the DM told me to abort and took the other diver away which of course is understandable :( I'm so bummed at myself but I am planning to try again after a break of 1-2 days.

The entry to the Blue hole via the Bells is just spectacular, OMG! I so wanted to continue on the dive but didn't want to damage my ears. I tried Valsalva, chewing and everything, including rising a bit to clear to no avail.

To make things worse someone stole all of the $20 that was in my backpack (which I had put in a special zipped pocket as lunch money)...the backpack was in the dive op's truck and I was told it would be locked but apparently someone got in and took it leaving me without a cent! I had to borrow money from the DM for lunch..geez! Makes me really wary of Egypt since prior to this I have visited Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel and Palestine and never had a cent stolen from me.

Good call on aborting the dive. The hole will still be there when you return. Next time, blow some snot rockets to see if that helps.

Good call on aborting the dive. The hole will still be there when you return. Next time, blow some snot rockets to see if that helps.

Is that a Tech term? I can't find it in my six PADI and SSI books.:confused::D

That blows about the trip. Sorry you didn't mark it off your bucket list. But good one on thumbing the dive, I've had to do that a few times also.

Advil will do nothing to help clear your ears. You should try Sudafed (or generic equivalent) for that. I wouldn't take it all the time but for a one day event, and especially one this important, it might have helped.

Respect to you for aborting the dive. Not easy to do on the main event that you have travelled for!

Good call though.

Canyon is nicer than the blue hole anyway. Pity the Beduoin kids (its always them, they usually go for cash and mobile phones, sometimes clothing too) stole your stuff - it happens a lot unfortunately.
Was it taken from the restaurant at the blue hole or from inside the truck/jeep at Canyon?

Have a look at some of the old threads about 'snorting saline/seawater'. That's worked for me before . But I was working... I wouldn't recommend this for fun diving, it's not worth the risk.

Look at this thread- just the first 20-50 posts- you'll get the idea.
Shooting Salt Water up my nose

Advil will do nothing to help clear your ears. You should try Sudafed (or generic equivalent) for that. I wouldn't take it all the time but for a one day event, and especially one this important, it might have helped.

If you are going to give Sudafed a try make sure you get the original (or equivalent). The ingredients should say it contains pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. If the name of the product is Sudafed PE or the ingredients say it has phenylephrine hydrochloride.

If all you can find is Sudafed PE ask if they have the original stuff behind the counter. I know in the US they keep it behind the counter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom