picking out my bungied second - thoughts? - SP intensive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Deciding to set up some gear utilizing a long hose primary and a bungied second. I dive cold water (Great Lakes), but not ice. My 1st stage is a SP MK-17, and my primary is a G-250v going on the long hose. To go with that, I am thinking about a S555 as a bungied second. Any thoughts of this reg in this application?

Other choices in my collection: G200B, G250v, 109, maybe a 156.......

Yes, another G250v is possible, but the smaller size of the S555 appeals to me if this reg deals with the potential for 36 degree water (I know the MK-17 will)... The G200B is the same size as the G250V, without the adjustmant or a metal barrel.... and the 109/156 are possible, but again are larger and theoretically "heavy".....

The 200B might end up on my pony coupled with a MK-2+ (or the S555 if you talk me out of the thoughts above). Then again, the 156 might go on the pony as it is indestructable.....

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Any thoughts?

All of my alternates are 109s. I like the user adjustment so I can detune it until it is in my mouth. You will not notice the size or weight on the bungee. I use a G500 or R295 on my pony. There the size does matter.

For the sake of parts commonality, my long hose and necklace are identical. This has never caused a problem for me.

All the best, James

For the sake of parts commonality, my long hose and necklace are identical. This has never caused a problem for me.

Same here. Only difference is a seacure molded mouthpiece on my primary and a stock/oem on the necklace.

I would want a balanced 2nd as my backup. YMMV.

I too would say have both secondaries identical. It is also nice having a reg that can be detuned until needed.

If you go the 200b route (my choice) I'd use that as my primary and the 250 as the back-up.

Same here. Only difference is a seacure molded mouthpiece on my primary and a stock/oem on the necklace.

I would want a balanced 2nd as my backup. YMMV.

S555 is balanced, G200B is balanced, 156 is balanced, (as would another g250v) but - if the 1st is balanced (MK-17), there is no need to balance the second, no???????? The pony - would preferrably be a balanced second as the MK-2+ is not balanced.....

I too would say have both secondaries identical. It is also nice having a reg that can be detuned until needed.

As for "detuning" - If I remember correctly, the S555, the G200B, and the G250V have the pre-dive/dive switch..... the 109 (as well as the G250v) is user adjustable....

maybe my question should have been: Is the S555 (or G200B) a good cold water (non-ice) reg?

As for "detuning" - If I remember correctly, the S555, the G200B, and the G250V have the pre-dive/dive switch..... the 109 (as well as the G250v) is user adjustable....

The pre-dive/dive switch on all those 2nds will reduce the strength of a free flow (venturi effect) but will not reduce the tendency of a well tuned reg to bubble a bit in some condition. The user adjustment increases cracking pressure and will prevent free flows from starting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom