Phuket-Koh Tao Bashing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Four big spotty fish that move about all the time, versus 30 world class wrecks that stay where they should?
Jamie

How many of those wrecks are actually within the parameters of safe diving for Open Water certified scuba divers on single 80 cubic feet air tanks?

:D

none of them , i'm very pleased to say.

that's what makes it exciting . isn't that what diving is about?

how many people say on a Thursday evening, 'how about diving this weekend, dear, it'll be really safe'

by the way, we've had big spotty fish everywhere in the last few weeks, two at a time rubbing themselves on the boat.

how do you stop them, get one of those shark repellent pod things?

J

can't remember the score now, but we must be thrashing you blokes over there, enjoying the weather?

how many people say on a Thursday evening, 'how about diving this weekend, dear, it'll be really safe'
Hopefully most people will want safe diving. I do not believe diving is about pushing the limits.

perhaps if more people realised that if they go underwater for a period of time relying on their equipment and physical fitness and training/supervision that they may die , perhaps they wouldn't dive and then die.

diving IS a potentially dangerous activity, which is one of it's attractions.

or has is been sanitised that much ?

i think it's wrong to promote diving a as a safe sport, it isn't .

people die doing what we do, whether in Phuket or Koh Tao.

golf is safe, however, or perhaps ping pong. You certainly have more ping pong your side than ours

J

J

I certainly did not start diving because of the danger factor. Nobody denies that diving has dangers but it's not a reason for diving "because it's dangerous". I object to diving being promoted as an adrenaline sport.

Golf is safe... see, even golf can be dangerous :)

Golf related head injuries in children -- Macgregor 19 (6): 576 -- Emergency Medicine Journal

snopes.com: Golf Club Shaft Death

» Death By Golf Cart… Again. - GolfNow Blog » Archive

and finally...YouTube - Golf Accidents

You gotta love Google!

jamiemac "dive with me, you never know, you might live to tell the tale!"

Diving is dangerous.

It should be sold as such.

People die.

The general public have been de-sensitised to the inherently dangerous nature of scuba.

Perhaps if we told them this, they would turn up to their open water course with the idea they could fail.
Then they would take it more seriously.

[steps off soapbox]

You can keep your big spotty fish, we see them here all the time too.

I would rather have the lumpy-headed T-fish swimming with the family.

Followed very closely by wanting to swim with the bikini-fish and the G-String ray

Last edited:
none of them , i'm very pleased to say.

that's what makes it exciting . isn't that what diving is about?

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Maybe for some (tech) divers diving is all about going deep, doing "dangerous" things (wreck/cave penetration and exploration) and pushing physical limits of oneself.
For the majority of recreational scuba divers though diving is all about looking at colorful fishies and corals, snapping pictures and getting a nice tan inbetween dives.
Recreational divers just want to be safe and comfortable and have fun; it's as simple as that.

I must add though that the tech divers I know plan their dives extremely well and prepare their equipment and gas supplies exceptionally thoroughly. They would NOT do their dives if they had reasonable doubt that it would endanger themselves or their diving partners.
I think that's the way it should be. Anyone thinking differently either has a death-wish or is just plain stupid.

:D

...swim with the bikini-fish and the G-String ray

Plenty of those on Koh Tao which is where I'm going back to in exactly 4 days from now. But, (un)fortunately I bring my G-string ray with me, I can only look and not touch. :D

we seem to have lost the whole point of this thread.

you west coast nancies might like your spotty fish and safe diving, but us Gulf of Siam men are real divers, not interested in sun tans and snaps, but real exploration, which is the heart of scuba diving - to me anyway.

when was the last time you dived a site no-one had ever been to? King Cruiser,Elephant head? Eeerrrrr, Racha yai? The moray called Bob?

before you spit too much, don't forget this thread was supposed to be light hearted banter

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom