Suggestions for a several months long trip destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barmaglot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Something like 99% of my job is done over internet (IT sysadmin), and since COVID started, I moved to working from home, which, in turn, has opened a new opportunity: working from a good dive location. I have spent this past winter (December through March) on Koh Tao in Thailand, working on weekdays and diving on weekends, with a side trip to Richelieu Rock, and this was a very positive experience, which I am keen to repeat next winter. With this in mind, I'm looking for locations that offer:

• A liberal visa policy (3+ months stay). As far as COVID measures go, I have no problems with doing a week or two of quarantine if required - as long as I have internet access and food, it's barely an inconvenience
  • Inexpensive accommodation (apartment or small house)
  • Reasonably fast and reliable internet access - this is critical; I can make do with slow intermittent internet for a 1-2 week vacation, but not for a several months period during which I am in front of my screens 10-14 hours per day, 5-6 days a week
  • Good quality and reasonably inexpensive diving - I rarely dive without my camera, and I don't do caves, but otherwise I'm not very picky; shore or boat, reef or muck, wide-angle or macro, it all works for me. Easy access to short liveaboard trips is a bonus
  • Good selection of food, whether local or international, is a bonus but not critical
Thus far, I am primarily looking at Phuket in Thailand. Koh Tao was good, but I was there in the off season, and visibility was quite iffy, largely restricting diving to muck and macro, whereas on the Andaman Sea side of Thailand, November through April is the good diving season. Thailand in general and Phuket in particular is also well developed enough to allow me to live and work normally, yet it remains affordable.
Maldives is too expensive for a longer stay; as I understand it, it's targeting short-duration tourists rather than expats, plus I suspect that Internet access there is less than great.
I loved diving in the Philippines while I was there, but on the downside, everywhere I went, Internet access was absolute crap. If it were possible to stay connected in Puerto Galera, I'd love to spend a few months there, but alas. Maybe in a few years when Starlink is fully operational and has global reach.
Indonesia... Bali would've been great, probably, if Indonesian government recognized Israeli passports. Same for Malaysia.
Mexico? I'm afraid I know very little about it. I'm also somewhat wary about the crime situation there, as well as Caribbean diving in general being disappointing after experiencing Red Sea and Southeast Asia. Same goes for South American destinations such as Colombia and Brazil.

Any other suggestions?

Your choice is limited in Asia if both Indonesia and Malaysia are off-limited.
At the time of writing you can write off Philippines as well until 2022.
There are diving in Japan(including Okinawa), Korea and Republic of China(Taiwan) but winter is the wrong time.
So Thailand is probably the only one and should try Koh Lanta this time. Koh Lipe would be a nice side trip.

I have backpacking in Mexico many yrs ago and never ever experienced anything unpleasantness. use your common sense. NO idea what it is like nowadays.
Yucatan peninsula has plenty to offer beside diving(cenotes). You have to check the weather pattern during that time especially on hurrican.

How about Southern Australia and New Zealand? Summer there.

Good point about Lanta; I actually spent a week there some two years ago, would be nice to go back. I guess between Lanta and Phuket, the latter is more urbanized, while the former is more rural. Diving is more or less similar, except Khao Lak liveaboards are more accessible from Phuket.

Southern Australia/New Zealand... what the cost of living and diving like there? Being first world countries, I can't imagine they're cheap. Also, while I'd love to see some sea dragons, I have the feeling that AU/NZ is going to stay locked down for years - unlike Philippines and Indonesia, they're not facing a great deal of economic pressure from the loss of tourism.

Never dived in NZ but pretty expensive at GBR especially on LoB.
Tons of backpacker accommodation in both countries but the cost of living is a lot higher than anywhere in SE Asia.

Dec to Mar is perfect for Yucatan Peninsular and the west coast of Thailand.
Both countries are famous for their food.
If I have 3 months I will go to Yucatan because there are more to do/see. But the peninsular is huge compare with Phuket or Koh Lanta so travelling could be an issue if you are staying in one spot.

Good luck.

In your case I would try my best to obtain a business visa for Indonesia. You will be working during most of the time after all.
Once you get that, the gates to paradise will be wide open.

In your case I would try my best to obtain a business visa for Indonesia. You will be working during most of the time after all.
Once you get that, the gates to paradise will be wide open.
The OP would have to change his nationality first.
He is from Israel.

Technically, I could renew my Russian passport which expired over twenty years ago (it's actually branded 'USSR' on the cover) and use that for a visa-waiver entry, or I could apply for a calling visa - apparently it's an option despite the absence of diplomatic relations between Israel and Indonesia.

I'll have to look closer at Mexico; are there any specific locations you would recommend there for a longer stay? I don't like traveling around too much because it takes up a lot of time, and one of my takeaways from the Koh Tao stay was that there weren't enough days in a week to work and dive leisurely - and that's on Tao, where I could go out for a two-tank dive in the morning and come back in the afternoon.

I'll have to look closer at Mexico; are there any specific locations you would recommend there for a longer stay? I don't like traveling around too much because it takes up a lot of time, and one of my takeaways from the Koh Tao stay was that there weren't enough days in a week to work and dive leisurely - and that's on Tao, where I could go out for a two-tank dive in the morning and come back in the afternoon.
That is the advantage of Koh Tao and PG(most of the sites are within 15 mins from the room).
I was backpacking in those days so the stay in one spot was no more than couple of days. If you are diving in Cozumel then you have to stay on the island. If you want a bit of mobility then you have to find a place on the mainland.

Back
Top Bottom