Photo of fossilized scallop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the information about Photobucket. I have been using Photobucket for years. I had no idea that some people can't see the photos.

The day I found the fossilized scallop, one of the guys (Will) found a similar one but dropped it while climbing the ladder. Apparently he had it under his arm because it was way too big to fit in a pocket or bag. He said it was the size of a large diner plate.

We are going to another fossil bed, offshore Murrels Inlet SC, next Saturday.

Divers like different things. I am personally, magnetically attracted to fossils. Over a period of time I have learned what to look for. (color, hardness, weight)

I started out with fossilized sharks teeth. Now days the fossilized shells are getting my attention.

I am glad to see people enjoying the postings and photos. I think its a great hobby.

When I go out, I am so enthralled with the fishies that I forget that there may be fossils underneath. My friends here are always finding Indian arrowheads. I never have found one...but then I am accused of never looking down. Although I don't collect much of anything, I could see how it would be cool to find some fossils and mega-teeth. Wonder if anything like this is accessible in the Gulf of Mexico?

Hello Terry,

Here is the way it has been explained to me. Fossils are everywhere on the planet.

Fossils are in particular layers of the earths surface. The names of some of the layers in the Southeast USA are the Hawthorne, Yorkstown, Chandler Bridge, etc.

In some areas the layers come to the surface of the earths crust. A fossil hunter is always on the lookout for this. Fossils are not generally found in soil (soil consists of organic matter). Fossils are usually found in limestone or some other hardened material that is able to last through the millions of years.

One of the areas we dive the Gulf is offshore Venice Florida. It is on the west coast of Florida about halfway down. There are LOTS of fossils found there.

One has to develop and eye for fossils.

Research the internet, study up on it, and keep and eye out. They are there. You will find them.

Fossil diving the Gulf of Mexico in Venice Florida

The reason some people cannot see Photobucket or other photograph web sites is that their work firewalls block those sites. Same with YouTube and other video sites. When I am working on base at Langley AFB, all of these sites are blocked. We were just recently allowed to view facebook and some of that is blocked. So, try to think of this when posting pictures.

Hello Terry,

Here is the way it has been explained to me. Fossils are everywhere on the planet.

Fossils are in particular layers of the earths surface. The names of some of the layers in the Southeast USA are the Hawthorne, Yorkstown, Chandler Bridge, etc.

In some areas the layers come to the surface of the earths crust. A fossil hunter is always on the lookout for this. Fossils are not generally found in soil (soil consists of organic matter). Fossils are usually found in limestone or some other hardened material that is able to last through the millions of years.

One of the areas we dive the Gulf is offshore Venice Florida. It is on the west coast of Florida about halfway down. There are LOTS of fossils found there.

One has to develop and eye for fossils.

Research the internet, study up on it, and keep and eye out. They are there. You will find them.

Fossil diving the Gulf of Mexico in Venice Florida

Thanks for the video. Took me a minute to get "tooth eyes". Guess I will have to contact Jamie.....

The day I found the fossilized scallop, one of the guys (Will) found a similar one but dropped it while climbing the ladder. Apparently he had it under his arm because it was way too big to fit in a pocket or bag. He said it was the size of a large diner plate.

We are going to another fossil bed, offshore Murrels Inlet SC, next Saturday.

Lee,

Nice collection! I've had good luck diving for fossils off-shore of Wilmington, NC.
Have you been up there yet? I hope you had good dives this weekend!

Terry K

T-Dog .... Have not done the Megalodon tooth bed offshore Wilmington yet. Its on the list. Looking forward to it. I think I will use Aquatic Safaries larger boat. Haven't tried it yet. I was told it will run 25 knots/hr. From what I have seen, the site strikes me as a bone yard with large fragladons and an occasional pristine tooth with all serations, root, and enamel. I am also expecting a lot of growth on the teeth, camoflaged teeth, and 90% buried teeth with corners or points sticking out of the bottom.

I use Aquatic Safaris, and think they are a great outfit: Shop, Boat and Crew!
The best teeth seem to be lying right at the surface, surrounded by whale ribs.
They are heavily encrusted with barnacles and such, but that comes off easy enough!
I need to try Murrel's Inlet sometime, what operator do you recommend?

I actually prefer them heavily encrusted. Beginners will inadvertantly pass over them. My mind is honed in due to many years of search. Whenever I walk in the dirt or gravel I find my eyes involuntarily latching onto everything triangular. Surrounded by whale ribs is a very good indicator.

The boat I like in Murrels Inlet SC is Express Water Sports.

Express Water Sports - Myrtle Beach Scuba, Parasail, Kayak & dolphin watch & Ocean Sightseeing, Banana Boat And jet skis in Myrtle Beach South Carolina - Home

I have seen them grow into something over the past 15yrs.

They have some worthwhile dives on their schedule, in my opinion. Their boat is a 42 foot Newton these days. Its a good operation. I plan on using them many more times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom