photo backpack recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This backpack only has room for 15" laptops and mine is 17". I use the slot for storing papers and manuals. It's been about 8 months since I have been on an internal PI flight but had no problems. I've been on Cathay, Singapore and Malaysian in the last few months and had no problems with 2 carry ons even though some of those airlines allowed only one plus a personal item. I use a PorterCase for my main carry on and it doubles as a luggage cart. http://www.portercase.com/

I also use a PorterCase, and love it. Hard-shell protection, and when used as a cart I've rolled it through airports with well over 100 lbs of gear stacked atop without trouble.

If money were no object, I'd try the Think Tank Airport addicted, but it's price is too steep for me.

Remember, you can also add outside pockets to this to increase its capacity. I've found those extremely useful. For example, you could add two pouches to carry the Ikelite DS-125s or an outside pocket for a large lens.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Accessories/lens_cases/Lens_Case_4.aspx

Lowepro makes a lot of accessories for their camera cases.

Jeff

I do carry my laptop (without the charging AC unit) in mine. It is a pretty tight sweeze as the pocket is not very wide.

Dennis, LOL... I have the same bag and was just thinking where to put my newly purchased Canon 70-200. How the heck do you get that in the overhead luggage space??? that's gotta be so fat with the 70-200 in outer compartment!

maybe I need to get the computrekker plus...

edit: oh and Catherine... you still have zero contacts... :rofl3:

rcolman:
I need a soft-sided, lightweight backpack that will:

a) fit into airline carryon-luggage

b) carry the following

-- 2 dSLR bodies
-- 3 lenses
-- 2 strobes (Ike DS-125)

c) would be nice if it had a laptop computer compartment as well.

Can someone recommend something, please?

Rick Colman

I use the LowePro Nature Trekker backpack. I doubt you will find any one carryon bag that you will be able to get all the gear listed above in. The strobes are bulky. You don't list what lenses you are carrying, so it's hard to judge. I *think* I could get everything minus one strobe in my LowePro minus the laptop.

Diver Dennis:
This backpack only has room for 15" laptops and mine is 17". I use the slot for storing papers and manuals. It's been about 8 months since I have been on an internal PI flight but had no problems. I've been on Cathay, Singapore and Malaysian in the last few months and had no problems with 2 carry ons even though some of those airlines allowed only one plus a personal item. I use a PorterCase for my main carry on and it doubles as a luggage cart. http://www.portercase.com/

Hey Dennis,

So you are able to carry both bags internationally without anyone asking you to weigh them? I generally put heavy items in the carry-on to meet checked weight limits which even going to Mexico last week were 50lbs each.

The check-in guy in Denver weighed my roller carry on just last week, it was 45lbs. He made me transfer some stuff to my check-in luggage but fortunately I was 10lbs light with those, and he did not charge me. I think this was unusual, but maybe they are starting to get even more hard nosed about carry on weight. Coming home there was no issues, and I'd never been asked to have my carry-on weighed in the past.

UW photography and diving sure have made traveling interesting, or maybe a better word is a pain in the Tail! :D

Back
Top Bottom