photo backpack recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman:
Dennis, LOL... I have the same bag and was just thinking where to put my newly purchased Canon 70-200. How the heck do you get that in the overhead luggage space??? that's gotta be so fat with the 70-200 in outer compartment!

maybe I need to get the computrekker plus...

edit: oh and Catherine... you still have zero contacts... :rofl3:

Yeah Mike, it is pretty fat...:D But it fits easily into most overheads on planes except foe small jets like a CRJ. 737s and up, lots of room. I just flew to Mexico on a 757 and I had plenty of space. I always put the 70-200 in the Portercase when I travel to Asia though. As Jeff said, you can always add outside pockets.

One thing I did buy for returning in February is this Photographers vest. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...tchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Photographers+vest&noImage=0

It is cheap and light, I plan to put it into the backpack and if I do run into carryon weight restrictions, I can simply wear enough equipment to come in below the limit.

Diver Dennis:
I've seen the Think Tank too, Slingshot. How much?

The Airport addicted is about $400. I'm not sure how that is better than the porter, or the Lowepro.

It took me a long time to realize that you can not stuff 1000 cubic inches of gear in a backpack that is 800 cubic inches in size! :D Believe me I've tried.

I'm not sure how bag A that is X dimension can hold more than Bag B of the same size. Sure the pockets and dividers make a difference, but certainly most of the bags discussed here have very similar dividers and configurations that can be customized.

On this last trip I used a Pelican 1500 series case (1520 I think) for my housing, and dome port. It fit nicely in the top of my check-in roller duffel and provides protection against anything, but theft.

RonFrank:
Hey Dennis,

So you are able to carry both bags internationally without anyone asking you to weigh them? I generally put heavy items in the carry-on to meet checked weight limits which even going to Mexico last week were 50lbs each.

The check-in guy in Denver weighed my roller carry on just last week, it was 45lbs. He made me transfer some stuff to my check-in luggage but fortunately I was 10lbs light with those, and he did not charge me. I think this was unusual, but maybe they are starting to get even more hard nosed about carry on weight. Coming home there was no issues, and I'd never been asked to have my carry-on weighed in the past.

UW photography and diving sure have made traveling interesting, or maybe a better word is a pain in the Tail! :D

No Ron, I didn't have any problems and I flew to Palau, Yap, Bali, Philippines and Sipidan. The other thing I always do is to is to wear the backpack and roll the Portercase right up to the front of the check in counter. Might not help but can't hurt...:wink:

Singapore was the most liberal airline I found. You would not believe the junk people were bringing back from Bali...:shakehead

I wrap my housing in medium density foam, the ports in a wetsuit and pack them in one of my hard sided suitcases. I had all my dive equipment and housing in one suitcase when I went to Mexico last week along with a few clothes and it as under 30 kg.

I found in Asia, you get 20kg plus another 10kg allowance for dive equipment or I called it camera equipment depending on the particular airline allowances. I also phone the airline before I leave and print out a copy of their regulations to show the folks at check in. Helps a lot, especially when they are busy.

Traveling to and from North America you get 2 check ins at 32kg.

Diver Dennis:
One thing I did buy for returning in February is this Photographers vest. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0038615903804a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Photographers+vest&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Photographers+vest&noImage=0

It is cheap and light, I plan to put it into the backpack and if I do run into carryon weight restrictions, I can simply wear enough equipment to come in below the limit.

just get some cargo pants and stick that 70-200 L lens in a leg pocket...:rofl3:

pakman:
just get some cargo pants and stick that 70-200 L lens in a leg pocket...:rofl3:

I would be very popular after walking up and down the aisles a few times...:D

Mind you, maybe the 24-70 might be a better choice.:wink:

I guess that might cause a problem if they make you take the belt off at the xray machine...

remember what you're mom always told ya... wear clean underwear... :wink:

rcolman:
Why do you carry your laptop in another case. I thought the Computrekker had a slot for the laptop?

Any problems with internal Philippines flights on CebuPacific, for example?

Rick Colman

Cebu Pacific's website states 20 kilos for check-in and 7 kilos for carry-on.

The bottom line is if a an airline employee zeroes in on one your bags then they will weigh it. If they find the bag overweight they will likely weigh all your bags as with me on my last trip. You are at their mercy. They even weighed my backpack which I was wearing.

The screener in Okinawa took my dive knife out of my check-in bag and measured the blade length. I had all I could do not to laugh as the knife has a 3" long blade. HELLO, it's check-in luggage. That same screener eyeballed my hard carry-on case then walked over to the ticket counter and obviously told her it looked overweight. Sure enough the ticket agent then weighed it.

Since that trip I have given up on hard cases for carry-on. They weigh too much empty and every kilo counts.

I have two camera backpacks that I use for different circumstances.

DryZone_200_2_n.jpg

Lowe Pro Dryzone:
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/waterproof/DryZone_200.aspx
It's water proof and ideal for bringing on a boat. However, for day to day use in a dry environment it is a bit of a pain in the but to open and close.

sequence-pack350.jpg

Dakine Sequence
This is my other camera backpack. I bought this for backcountry skiing and climbing but now use it in all kinds of situations. I love this pack.
http://www.dakine.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom