photo backpack recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolman

Contributor
Reaction score
I need a soft-sided, lightweight backpack that will:

a) fit into airline carryon-luggage

b) carry the following

-- 2 dSLR bodies
-- 3 lenses
-- 2 strobes (Ike DS-125)

c) would be nice if it had a laptop computer compartment as well.

Can someone recommend something, please?

Rick Colman

rcolman:
I need a soft-sided, lightweight backpack that will:

a) fit into airline carryon-luggage

b) carry the following

-- 2 dSLR bodies
-- 3 lenses
-- 2 strobes (Ike DS-125)

c) would be nice if it had a laptop computer compartment as well.

Can someone recommend something, please?

Rick Colman

Before you decide keep in mind the airline weight limits on carry-on as well as the size.

On my last trip to the Philippines and Okinawa all the airlines involved weighed my carry-on case and gave me a lot of grief. I have since revised my traveling methods.
Hawaiian Airlines allows 25 pounds for a carry-on while Philippine Airlines allows 7 kilos (8 pounds).

If you are going to be using your case for international travel check the respective airline websites for baggage allowance on both check-in and carry-on.

You may be surprised at the excess baggage rates. For example, Philippine Airlines has different rates for in-country flights versus "regional" flights, like Philippines to Okinawa which they do not consider an international flight. Their carry-on limit is 7 kilos on all flights but their check-in limits are radically different. From the US or Canada it's two bags at 70 pounds each. Regionally or in-country it's 20 kilos (44 pounds) total. Excess rate for regional flights is $8.00 US dollars per kilo, which can be a killer. Their in-country excess rates are much cheaper.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=19518

CompuTrkPlusAW_rt_stuffed_N.jpg

You might be pushing it to get two bodies in. Plus the thing is going to weigh a ton.

I sure am loving mine. My kids gave me a large on for Christmas, and I bought a little one that I can even take on the bike. I think I will be putting the pack inside my Pelican for travel and then that inside a camouflaging duffle.

Gilligan:
allows 15 kilos (8 pounds).
You mean 8 kilos (~15 pounds.)

I purchased one of these recently...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Camera-Equip...QQihZ006QQcategoryZ113385QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was able to get in it:
- 2 x C5050's
- PT-015 housing
- 2 x Inon strobes
- Inon wide angle lens
- 2 x Inon macro lenses
- 4 x 20" arm segments (tray had to go in the carry-on)

It also has an area for your laptop. I'm not sure what it weighed full (maybe 10kg) but it looks compact and light on your back.

HTH,
Mel.b

kidsdream:
...CompuTrekker AW...

You might be pushing it to get two bodies in. Plus the thing is going to weigh a ton.

I can fit a Canon body with 24-105, 17-40 and 70-300 lenses.

I also have lens hoods in there. If I took them out, I may be able to fit another body. With strobes? No way.

Blackwood:
I can fit a body with 24-105L, 16-35L and 70-300DO lenses.

I also have lens hoods in there. If I took them out, I may be able to fit another body. With strobes? No way.

I use the CompuTrekker AW. I carry 2 bodies, 2 - DS 125 strobes, 100mm, 10-22mm, 24-70mm with lens hood, cards and card reader a few accessories and in the outside pocket I have a 70-200mm in a lens case and 2 quick chargers for the strobes. I carry my laptop in another case. Yeah, it does weigh a ton but just act like it is light when you check in. I've never been asked to weigh it.

A few pics...

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

Why do you carry your laptop in another case. I thought the Computrekker had a slot for the laptop?

Any problems with internal Philippines flights on CebuPacific, for example?

Rick Colman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom