Phoenix Pre Build Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made numerous posts on discussions concerning how to set the pin length, Luis has as well and so has Bryan. Refer to one of those LONG assembly threads on vdh.

The length of the pin, approx 1.33, is determined by setting the pin in the built up nozzle and then placing the push pad onto the pin. Press down on the pad. The pad shall just kiss the face of the nozzle before the nozzle parts mechanically bind inside.

Be sure and install the circlip with the "sharp" side facing out to you. BTW, the sintered filter has a top and bottom as well, rough side out.

N

Yep, sorry Nemrod. I just went through my printed material, and I have luis' excellent diagrams of the assembly with all the measurements - including the pin length - duh ...

Good practical way of getting the correct pin length. Thanks.

Thanks for the circlip and filter hints as well. Makes sense about the filter, since the filters in the old DA (according to SCRIPPS) should go in fine first then coarse furthest out.

Henrik

What Nemrod said is correct.

I just assembled two Phoenix nozzles, and in both of them I had to trim (file) the pin down to around 1.31 so that the mushroom cap would bottom out. You do not want a gap between the mushroom pin support and the face of the nozzle when you press down on the mushroom.

I am not sure how the parts tolerance stacked up on these two units to require the slightly shorter pins, but that is the way it worked out. There are too many parts and I don’t have the tolerance specifications for them.

I think the thing is that the 1.33(ish) measurement is very close but each regulator is an individual. For optimal performance the way both Luis and I trim the pin is correct. I would rather the pin be slightly short than to long. If the pin is over length the internal parts can shove up against the sintered filter, I don't like that for a variety of reasons.

N

1.33 is the length mentioned by Bryan Pennington for the Phoenix. The RAM pin is much shorter. You might want to start with a cut a few thousandths longer. Check the space under the button and verify 0.035 clearance. If greater, gently file the pin to length.

Building up the RAM HP block should be same as the Conshelf except that the assembly in the RAM is removable. I place the nozzle in a vise and start inserting parts from there; HP poppet, long spring, spring block, short spring, filter, snap ring and like that. Press everything down with a thumb and make the final push with a flattened dowel. If a round dowel is used there won't be enough room to use the snap ring pliers. Normally, if going to this amount of trouble I just oxygen clean the whole mess before assembly. Dump all parts including the nozzle into a cup of Ensolv. Remove after one minute, dry, and insert Viton O ring into spring block smeared with Christolube.

Thanks for chiming in guys; I just read through the 17 page Word document of "clippings" I've collected from various Phoenix Build discussions here and on VDH. Luis, Nemrod and Pescador all figure prominently in "post" count. The answers to most of my questions are in that document.

Pescador; for the assembly I chickened out and bought the assembly tool mentioned on VDH. I'm a big believer in making things easier for myself - well that, and I have a tool fetish :)

- Any further test results on the new Main Springs?

Thanks again

Henrik

I might break bad and buy one of those tools myself if available. Nothing new to report on the springs. I have one installed in a RAM and using the regulator maincasting for general purposes like air tools. I'll check it now and then for IP. If that jives, will run the IP up and down for grins.

I might break bad and buy one of those tools myself if available.

I think the guy that makes and sells them (contact info at VDH) makes them as orders come in. So I'd think they're still available. It's a very nicely made tool. In addition to the Phoenix I got a couple of Conshelfs off eBay, so I thought it'd be worth it.

Henrik

The assembly tool makes it simple. I have one I made and one I bought from vdh. You really need the tool. I cannot believe how many years I struggled until it occurred to me to purchase the tool. I saw one at a vintage dive so copied it but of course the one vdh has looks factory.

Pesky is wise, yes, leave the pin a little long and then work it down to the correct length. Some will say we are being to picky but I like it to be exact.

N

Back
Top Bottom