Trip Report: Beqa Lagoon Resort, June 5-12 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave for Beqa in 16 days!! Been looking at maps trying to get a better idea of where exactly BLR is on Beqa island, can anyone comment as to what village area it's closest to? Google maps seems to be lacking.

I'm heading to BLR in October on a dive trip with my LDS and am ridiculously excited--let's just say that, having grown up in Southeast Asia, having a ~2-month diving season (I get really cold, so July & August are about my only wetsuit diving times!) in New England kind of sucks... I miss my tropical waters!

Since I don't have a 3 mm wetsuit & to travel lighter (I'm so fitting a week's worth of clothes/gear in my DiveCaddy), I'm renting it from their dive shop, but am wondering what to do about my booties. Presently, I have 6.5 mm full ones, which are probably overkill and too bulky, so I'm considering getting some lighter 3mm ones-- anyone have particular suggestions? Or do the BLR guys rent 'em as well-- that way I don't even have to worry about making sure they're dry for the flight back :)

Leave for Beqa in 16 days!! Been looking at maps trying to get a better idea of where exactly BLR is on Beqa island, can anyone comment as to what village area it's closest to? Google maps seems to be lacking.

I found this map
beqa-lagoon-dive-sites-map.jpg

Our local dive club is headed to Beqa Lagoon Resort in August, can't wait!

Awesome map! I did find it on google later, it shows under it's former name of marlin bay resort.

Since I don't have a 3 mm wetsuit & to travel lighter (I'm so fitting a week's worth of clothes/gear in my DiveCaddy), I'm renting it from their dive shop, but am wondering what to do about my booties. Presently, I have 6.5 mm full ones, which are probably overkill and too bulky, so I'm considering getting some lighter 3mm ones-- anyone have particular suggestions? Or do the BLR guys rent 'em as well-- that way I don't even have to worry about making sure they're dry for the flight back :)

I was at Beqa in May/June '09. Loved the place, will definitely be back. To the OP, thanks for the trip report, very well done. I relived my trip as I read your report.

I switched to full foot fins for travel a few years back. They're lighter & no need for booties. They form fit to my feet, making them comfortable & give me great control. Plus they're cheap, got mine, Oceanics, for $40.

FYI, they WILL NOT let you do the shark dive, or would not in '09, in yellow fins. Something about the color & the bull sharks. I thought they were playing with my head. I have yellow full foot fins & I had to borrow blue fins from the dive shop, no charge.

The shark dive is amazing. We did it on, I believe, Monday & immediately signed up for Friday. Sensory overload, big time.

I was at Beqa in May/June '09. Loved the place, will definitely be back. To the OP, thanks for the trip report, very well done. I relived my trip as I read your report.

I switched to full foot fins for travel a few years back. They're lighter & no need for booties. They form fit to my feet, making them comfortable & give me great control. Plus they're cheap, got mine, Oceanics, for $40.

FYI, they WILL NOT let you do the shark dive, or would not in '09, in yellow fins. Something about the color & the bull sharks. I thought they were playing with my head. I have yellow full foot fins & I had to borrow blue fins from the dive shop, no charge.

The shark dive is amazing. We did it on, I believe, Monday & immediately signed up for Friday. Sensory overload, big time.

Thanks for the info. I have bright pink Scubapro Twin Jet fins, and another person in our group has yellow Twin Jet fins so we will have to figure something out.

I'm heading to BLR in October on a dive trip with my LDS and am ridiculously excited--let's just say that, having grown up in Southeast Asia, having a ~2-month diving season (I get really cold, so July & August are about my only wetsuit diving times!) in New England kind of sucks... I miss my tropical waters!

Hi, sorry for the delay in answering this ... had no idea people were posting questions here still =)

Full-foot fins as someone suggested are a great idea although personally I find after half a week they rub my ankles raw ... if you want to use slip-ons and want a lighter shoe what about something like Blue Reef's 3mm Slipper or Deep Sea's 3/5mm Aqua Purge Slipper? That's what I travel with, anyhow (the Deep Sea ones).

Not sure what BLR rents for divers, never asked -- from my experience however most destinations rent full-foot fins to avoid having to deal with booties, etc.

I definitely think a 6.5mm boot will give you some warm feets in Fiji =)

I fly out a week from Thursday with a group from Aquaventures here in Minneapolis, and after this Endless Winter, I cannot wait to get to Beqa! Thanks for such a detailed trip report, and the suggestions for ear beer and a dry bag are well taken!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom