Phillipine Traveler Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nat104

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The US State Department has a travel warning posted for Philippines, travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_2190.html]Philippines, islands of Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago in particular. Does this give anyone pause in planning trip to Tubbataha? Thank you for your expertise.
NAT

No pause or concern for anything in the Philippines. GO DIVING! I think the US State Department might want to put our own country on the "WATCH LIST". The statistics below scare me more than anything.........

Oh, and I am an American citizen.
--------------------------------

Daily Gun Deaths

The New York Times has a chilling graphical representation of daily gun deaths. Homicide, Suicide and Accidents/Legal police action.
gundeath.jpg

Nat,

Tubbataha is in Region VI or the Western Visayas, While the areas mentiond are in the Regions VII, XII and the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao(ARMM). There is adequate distance and between the areas as well as adequate security in the Tubbataha Reef area to ensure I would not have any reservations about making a trip to Tubbataha at this time. The only thing that would keep me from diving Tubbataha right now is $$$$$. :) Hope you enjoy your trip..

Then again Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than all the guns I own put together:rofl3:

Just don't get involved in Maguindanao politics and you should be okay. . .:demented:

I remember the beginning of Easter Week 2000, the US State Dept put out a similar traveler's warning about the Southern Philippines/Mindanao/Sulu Region, and I thought that it didn't apply to me because I was traveling to Borneo Malaysia --to a place called Sipadan Island. The point is just be aware, informed and vigilant while having a good time. . .

Then again Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than all the guns I own put together:rofl3:

Pretty irrelevant post to the topic.

I have traveled solo over a good part of SE Asia, Australia-N.Z., the South Pacific and Europe. Rarely have I felt as threatened as I have driving through some parts of Lost Angeles. Our State Department should post warnings about such places! I wonder if other countries already have?

Of course one should always be alert when traveling. My perception of the people in the PI, both from direct knowledge of those I have met and interaction with those here on SB as well as FB, etc., is that they are a very welcoming people. Of course I have no plans to visit the southern region of the PI such as Mindanao. However, I have stayed in Muslim dominated areas in other countries without feeling threatened.

<snip> Of course I have no plans to visit the southern region of the PI such as Mindanao. <snip>

Why not? I did and I was safe. I ditched my 'keepers' on the last day there and poked around GenSan by myself... even once it started to get dark. Being a white female, I was definitely in the minority but I never felt uncomfortable nor worried... unless there were stray dogs around. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom