Philippines potential diving holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ellie w

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me, I'm looking to book my next dive holiday, and am thinking of Philippines - would be there for 2-3 weeks in Dec/Jan/Feb. I'm a solo 26yo female traveller and would like to find a few places with a healthy balance of fun (but not crazy thailand style parties, more some beers on beach and cards!) and great diving. I'm keen to see some big stuff, but beautiful scenery as well and Would ideally love to be in with a chance of seeing whale sharks and mantas, but I'm conscious that if I go in December (looking most likely) then this may not be an option!

In my mind i'm hoping to find somewhere chillled and beautiful but with a good number of fellow independent travellers up for a laugh like Ko Phayam in thailand, but with fantastic diving accessible! I realise this is probably too much to hope for!

I've been to other parts of SE Asia a lot but very unfamiliar with Philippines so any recommendations welcomed. I've posted similar messages in other boards so please don't think i'm trolling, just undecided and looking forward to peoples ideas!

Thanks
Ellie

PS: I'm really grateful for any comments, but am not at my computer often so may be a little poor at replying - please don't be offended though!

As already mentioned in the Indonesia thread, Malapascua would be good, lots of macro and Monad shoal with the thresher sharks and occasional Manta Ray and Mobula's. Malapascua ticks all your other boxes as well, I would recommend you to check out the Philippines.
In Bohol it's fairly easy to see whalesharks.

Hi Ellie

You basically described Malapascua almost perfectly. the only thing missing is a whale shark. There are plenty of independent travellers and nice beach bars but the island still remains quiet rather then having a large party scene.

Sounds ideal for you.

After Malapascua I would add Southern Leyte(Sogod Bay) where whaleshark is around from Nov to May. Slightly off the beaten track but no rowdy party at all. But it will take you half a day to travel from Malapascua to Sogod Bay though.
Alternatively, Bohol is also very good. Nice beach with plenty of independent travellers.
Dec to Feb is peak season in Philippines so you might have to reserve your room.

Hi Limbo, Mucksavage and Centrals! Thanks for all your responses, you've been really helpful, and I have indeed decided on the Philippines for my trip- whoohoo! Very excited! Now just to let work agree to releasing me. I think I will head to Malapascua then potentially on to Coron bay and also inland, who knows! Always a little worried travelling at peak time as I hate booking ahead, but sacrifices have to be made :)

Thanks again all for your recommendations; I really appreciate it and will most likely be back on here to firm up my plans later!
Happy diving all
Ellie

Hey Ellie W,

Good choice ;-)
Since you also want to see Whale Sharks I would recommend you to combine Malapascua with Oslob: easier then Leyte, only about 2,5 to 3 hour drive by taxi or local bus from Cebu City. Have a look at the website www.oslobwhalesharks.com . The Whale Sharks here are being fed (something not everyone agrees on) but you will be very likely to see them and they are treated well (no touching policies). Also this place is not too touristy.

For accommodation on Malapascua please have a look at our website www.malapascua.net or send us an email at info@malapascua.net

Hope to see you here in december!

Kind Regards,
Erica

One of the ladies from the TSRCP just spend 2 months there and has been working with the LGU. She said that it might not be ideal, but tht they are trying to control the interactions etc, but as always it is a case of monitoring and maintaining that control! They made a report and recommendations to the Mayor which will hopefully improve the situation and keep the sharks safe.

They are still waiting to see if the sharks migrate or not.

Hello Jim,

I went there twice myself beginning of April and was pleasantly surprised by the briefing, the rules and the way the fishermen treated the whale sharks. Although it was the weekend there were not many people at all. Off course it isn't natural and if it turns out this affects the sharks' natural behavior too much, people should start thinking of alternatives but I do think it's a good thing local people start realizing a live shark brings up as much, if not more than a dead finned one...

Erica

Back
Top Bottom