Philippines again called "Center of the Center for Marine Diversity"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I thought people who visit this sub-forum might be interested in an excerpt from a book published just last year by a group of American researchers from California.... The book is called "INDO-PACIFIC NUDIBRANCHS AND SEA SLUGS-A Field guide to the World's most diverse fauna" by Terrence M. Gosliner, David W. Behrens, and Angel Valdes.

This will be "old news" for some I'm sure :)

".....Within the Coral Triangle recent studies (Carpenter & Springer 2005) have demonstrated the greatest diversity of shore-fishes has been found in the area known as the Verde Island Passage (the waters between Luzon and Mindoro Island, in the northern Philippine Archipelago). The same is true for nudibranchs and their relatives. In the "Anilao" area which includes the municipality of Mabini, the offshore communities of Tingloy and the area around Puerto Galera in northern Mindoro we have now found more than 640 species of opisthobranch! This area is truly the Center of the Center of Marine Diversity or the Apex of the Coral Triangle.

What is also surprising is that this region is not only so rich, but that more than half of the species found here are newly discovered, undescribed species. This is one reason why this area has received so much of our attention and research focus since 1992."

".... We are still far from finding the total number of species that inhabit this region. For example, in 2008, we found 97 species not previously known from the Philippines and at least 50 of these were new species. That is an amazing average of one new species per dive!......."

Just thought I would share :)

Definitely one of a number of incentives driving me towards the PI for diving and filming!!!

oooh. no mention of mindanao? that was the reason for lots of popcorn in a similar thread a while back.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

oooh. no mention of mindanao? that was the reason for lots of popcorn in a similar thread a while back.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

hahaha I remember someone calling someone a "white anglo-saxon piece of s***" or something to that effect

Thanks, so is the book worth having? Is it any different from the other identification book by Behrens? I also noticed that there is a Nudibranchs - Encyclopedia - Catalogue of Asia/Indo-Pacific Sea Slugs By Neville Coleman book out there. Anyone have them together?

Thanks.

Thanks, so is the book worth having? Is it any different from the other identification book by Behrens? I also noticed that there is a Nudibranchs - Encyclopedia - Catalogue of Asia/Indo-Pacific Sea Slugs By Neville Coleman book out there. Anyone have them together?

Thanks.

I don't have the Coleman nudibranch book. I think the only other Behrens book I have is "Nudibranch Behavior". My other major identification book is "Nudibranchs of the World" by Helmut Debelius. I also have his "Asia Pacific Reef Guide" which I like. I have Gosliners "Coral-Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific" which I like also.

I just browsed through it a little last night. It seems like a good book :) I'd say it's comparable with the Debelius book as far as first impressions. This book though focuses (like the title says) on the Indo-Pacific region.

I'm not really going to have a chance to do an in-depth comparison. The movers will be here today to pack everything.

hahaha I remember someone calling someone a "white anglo-saxon piece of s***" or something to that effect

I seem to recall being called a seal clubber in that one...:rofl3: or maybe it was in another one...:confused: I've been having amnesia lately...:D:D:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom