Trip Report Raja Ampat 10-Night Indo-Siren Liveaboard Dec. 2 – 12, 2022 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's too new for my non-discriminating eye to do a good compare and contrast of Dampier Strait vs. Misool, etc... Topside Misool had lots of pretty islands, so that's where I finally got out my old Canon SL1 SLR camera with a decent telephoto lens and grabbed some scenery shots. I do have my biases; I like strongly vertical wall structure, and Raja Ampat had it in places. I don't suppose I have a favorite; I look over my snapshots, and find one I like that I somehow missed.

IMG_0017.JPG

There's a lot to be said for shallow areas, since the natural lighting can show the diverse coral reef growth in colorful contrast.
IMG_1660.jpeg

I mentioned the seas were about as flat as the ocean gets; the Cruise Director told me this time of year it tends to be calm in the south. Something I didn't mention is it seemed most days were cloudy but sunny, occasionally strongly overcast, but we didn't much in the way of clear sky days. That's good (because it wasn't baking us on dinghy rides), though I don't know how typical. There were maybe 2 days the whole trip I felt the need to put sunscreen on, about 2 dinghy rides where I felt that strong tropical sun baking down on me. Otherwise not really a problem. I wore a Lycra dive skin to sunburn protection, and an old 5-mm wetsuit 'shirt' (from a 2-piece Farmer John suit I had from years ago) to avoid heat depletion over multi-day diving...and I think I'd have been fine without it). It rained a little our trip, but not hard for long, and didn't disrupt things. Not sure what the usual pattern is.

@drrich2

Pity you need most of the luxury that the Homestay in R4 cannot provide because you will love it.

I'd like to see home stay trip reports with photos and detailed descriptions covering controversial 'sticking points' for potential customers. If anyone's game, might I suggest covering these points:

1.) Roughing it - as we know from trip reports from Blackbeard's Cruises in the Bahamas, there are many people willing to accept tight quarters without a lot of amenities if the price is cheap, the diving good/fun and the food good and plentiful.

2.) Air conditioning is a big deal for some, but not everyone. Huracan Lodge out of Belize lacks it, IIRC, but has positive trip reports and a loyal following of at least a couple of ScubaBoard regulars.

3.) It's my understanding home stays don't tend to offer wifi. The typical American diver is accustomed to land-based resorts offering wifi. People may talk about disconnecting, but being without texts and e-mails for over a week isn't appealing to most. If they can rent a phone or SIM card and get local provider coverage that might solve the problem, but they need to know which home stays and specifically what's involved.

4.) Food - from what I understand, with a home stay, you don't have many options. No restaurants in walking distance. Eat it or leave it. Putting aside specialty concerns (e.g.: vegans, gluten-free), the typical American today is accustomed to having diverse food options and mostly eating what we like, or at least don't dislike. A few generations back Americans had a lot fewer choices and were raised more 'eat it or leave it,' so picky eaters weren't so predominant. We need to know whether customers get a choice of foods, and what those choices are. Since American culture is notorious amongst Europeans for our large portions, I'd also want to know how much food is offered.

5.) Restroom facilities - this could be a key issue for many Americans, if it's a basin of water, a bucket to dip water and no toilet paper. I'm guessing they may not have bum guns, either? In my report I posted photos and descriptions of the toilet situation because while many people won't speak up and ask details, I suspect many care.

So, if I understand correctly, the RA homestay candidate needs to be non-air conditioning reliant (likely fairly lean/fit), willing to eat most anything at all mainstream, willing to do without wifi over a week and open to new experiences in the toilet.

How accurate is my impression? Can we get home stay trip reports with details and photos (including bathroom and food)?

This is the only one that I came across in SB over last couple of yrs.
I am sure there are plenty in other sites.

No AC!

From your link, Stepfen posted this:

FYI the norm for homestays is 2 morning dives per day (around 8am and 11am depending on currents, conditions etc of course). If/when enough guests ask for it, they might consider a third afternoon or night dive. That's for weekdays.
2 Dives/day in a situation with no wifi (and probably no t.v.), no a.c. and very limited food options, in what I suspect is a rather isolated rural locale?

That's going to be a hard sell to a lot of American divers who've paid substantial money (e.g.: they still pay round trip airfare, baggage, probably hotel stays) and committed more time than convenient for many to get to (amongst) the best coral reef diving on Earth, and now with 2 dives/day they're done by 1 p.m. and at loose ends till the next day.

Maybe it's not like that. Reading between the lines, it sounds like that.

Stepfen linked StayRajaAmpat.com, which has a page with some interesting bits:

"Bathrooms: Bathing is almost always by bucket and ladle, using fresh water drawn from a large container."

"Toilets: Homestay toilets will be either western pedestal or squat style and are flushed by hand, using a bucket and ladle as in the bathroom. Toilets are connected to septic tank systems in all the homestays we’ve visited. Toilet paper is usually provided, but it’s a good idea to have some with you in case supplies are low and you can’t cope without it."

@stepfen - care to comment?

There are many homestays on 8 different islands and with various facilities.
You have to use the "filter" for selection.

This one is more expensive but with better facilities.
More you pay more you get.

From my own experience, only once, it was more than adequate. Food was far better than trekking in Nepal( Dal Baht nearly every meal). Dive guide was comparable with anyone I have came across. Transfer was short because most of the sites are quite near. Further away sites would require surcharge as well as demand but there was no demand. We went to several good sites more than once which usually won't happen with LoB.
I know it is not everyone cup of tea but this is interesting option especially for people with more time to spend and will to explore.
Unfortunately I have to wait until 2024 for a return.

Toilet with water to flush? It was not an option in most toilets along the mountain trails in High Nepal.

@Indah

Since currents in Raja Ampat are something I experienced that's been asked about on the forum in the past, and we're discussing RA in the context of alternatives, I'm curious about your offering. From my research notes:

Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort – on the island of Halmahera in North Maluku, Indonesia, roughly half-way between Lembeh Strait and Raja Ampat. Sister resorts include Divers Lodge Lembeh and Magic Bay Rao, Morotai (closed till 2024).

From your website your business has an 'eco-resort' approach, which will appeal to many people.

Lembeh is known for muck diving, but what about the other 2 locations? From your website:

"Diving and snorkeling at the untouched reefs of Weda Bay at the East coast of Central Halmahera, Maluku, Indonesia offers everything from pygmy seahorses, turtles, giant groupers, sharks and schooling fish; from steep walls, some black sand sites with critters to lovely shallow coral gardens and a historical Japanese WWII shipwreck. Diving and snorkeling are extremely exciting here. But also very relaxed. Hardly ever we encounter strong currents and you can also make incredible beautiful shallow dives. Perfect place both for beginners as for very experienced “seen it all” divers. And it is hard to find a better place for snorkeling in the world. Many of the reef are situated 10 kilometers from the shore. The top of the reefs are in excellent condition and very rich in fish-life."

I imagine potential dive tourists interested in diving Indonesia but a little worried about price (so they might consider Puerto Galera in the Philippines) or current but desiring a higher amenity level than home stays are associated with might be interested in Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort. I don't see the all-inclusive 7 or 10-day dive/food/accommodation package deal I was hoping for to compare to liveaboard options, and I've got some questions about your services. I'll try to make a 10-night package to compare to liveaboard options.

1.) Per your website, if I understand correctly, full-bard accommodation per person, per night, for the one-room bungalow is 1,700,000 IDR single occupancy, or 1,125,000 for double occupancy. I Last I checked, $1 U.S. = 14,000 IDR, so $121.43/night or $80.36/night.

Since I traveled alone, for a 10-night stay, let's say $1,214.30 for lodging, meals, free laundry service and slow wireless Internet access at the restaurant.

2.) 1 tank day dive with weights, boat and guide is 600,000 IDR, so $42.86. There's an option to pay more to charter a private boat with a guide. Night dives cost more. I'll stick to day dives to keep this simple. You offer 2 morning dives, an afternoon dive, night dives and 'house reef dives.' I'll use a 30 dives figure, so the dive bill would come out to $1,285.71.

If I did the math right, then a 10-night stay at Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort with 30 dives and full board for a single traveler comes to $2,500.01 U.S., less per person if not alone.

Here are my questions:

1.) Did I get the math right?
2.) Do you offer discounts on multi-day package deals?
3.) Since Indonesian law requires an Indonesian guide, are those house reef dives shore dives from the resort and are they treated the same in cost as boat dives?
4.) You note the houses are cool and have ceiling fans for extra breeze - I take it no air conditioning?
5.) Are the toilets western-style, squatty potties or both? Is there toilet paper? Do they have bum guns?
6.) Since the wifi is noted available at the restaurant, can you share a current menu? People committing to a full board situation may want to know what the food offerings are likely to be.
7.) Are mantas often seen diving your region? What about banded sea kraits?

I know offerings, terms and prices change over time. If this thread serves as a research tool for other divers considering Coral Triangle destinations and perhaps alternatives to Raja Ampat, it'd be helpful to see what you offer. You've contributed well to a number of ScubaBoard threads, and I imagine a number of our members would be interested.
I am afraid you overlooked this message at the openings page of our Weda Resort:

CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE​

Unfortunately we had to decide to close Weda Resort. The nearby expanding industry makes it impossible for us to continue.
We are very happy that all our employees found a new job. We thank them for all their great work. And we thank all our guests and friends for the support the last decade. We hope we may welcome you at our Divers Lodge Lembeh. Or, in 2024, at Magic Bay Rao.
So, for now we fully concentrate on our Divers Lodge Lembeh. The place where my family also live. The service we offer is without doubt unique:
Whether you come alone, with your spouse, buddy or group of friends, you will have your own private boat, you and your companion(s) can make your own schedule, decide when and where to dive and without time limits (as long it is within the safety standards of no decompression diving). If you meet here new friends with whom you want to share the boat and costs, this is of course no problem at all, and we will adjust the schedule accordingly. Price EUR 74 or USD77, – per boat, per day.
Example: if you stay alone in one of our very spacious bungalows with air conditioning, full board, and you make 3 dives (Nitrox up to 35%) daily from own private boat and with your private guide, you will spend much less than when you would be diving from one of the better liveaboards. At Divers Lodge you would only pay IDR 4.485.000 (about EUR 275, – or USD 289, -) per night, all inclusive.

Of course the costs are much lower when you come and/or share with others. Example, for 6 persons sharing 3 bungalows (full board) and one boat, and who make 3 dives with Nitrox, the price will be only IDR 2.710.000 ( EUR 166, – or USD 176, -) per day, per person.

Please have a look at Prices and Booking - Divers Lodge Lembeh - Lembeh Strait for all our rates. Updated 21 Dec. 2022.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom