Trip Report Raja Ampat 10-Night Indo-Siren Liveaboard Dec. 2 – 12, 2022 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
IMG_0045.jpeg

For complex trips I tend to make 2 threads; one a trip report (this one) focused on my trip and one a ‘research notes’ thread compiling heavily hyper-linked and credited content from ScubaBoard and elsewhere, very dense but to provide resources for people researching a destination new to them. Even with the former, I aim to cover what the destination is known for, alternatives I chose it over and why, my experience with the destination, accommodation and dive services provider and related content. This requires a trade-off between a report comprehensive enough to tell others considering the trip what they need to know and concise enough they might read it. I use sections for organization so people can jump to what interests them.

The messenger is part of the message. If you want people who’ve been to Raja Ampat and other Indonesian destinations multiple times and can compare and contrast from extensive 1st hand experience, that is not me. See reports by @Dan , @Luko and others. My goal is to help intermediate divers like myself with U.S./Caribbean region dive experience better understand options when they are captivated by ScubaBoard discussions on how Indonesian diving is so awesome you’ll fly home and slap the Caribbean. For a 1st (and perhaps only, ‘bucket list’) trip, where should you go? What’s involved in getting there, what’s it like, and what does it cost?

I.) Pre-planning.
IMG_0410.jpeg

Spend too much time on ScubaBoard getting jealous of trip reports on flung destinations with much better diving than the Caribbean. Review options – Raja Ampat, Komodo, Papua New Guinea, Red Sea, Maldives, Philippines, Palau and Fiji. Rule out Bali and Thailand which seem targeted for the topside + diving set; I just want to dive. Maldives diving has a reputation for sharks but reef quality gets varied reviews and diving tends to be deep and ‘only’ 3/day on a liveaboard. Nah. Palau – sharky, outside the coral triangle so a bit less diversity, current and reef hooks (not all dives), doesn’t seem to have quite the rep. as Raja Ampat. Philippines (I’d have picked Puerto Galera with El Galleon and Asia Divers) has a rep. for ‘almost as good, quicker to get to, cheaper’ vs. Raja Ampat, but for a one-time bucket list trip I’m not after ‘almost.’ Komodo – net impression of reviews suggests vs. Raja Ampat diving very good but not quite on par, and the currents might be more than my chubby old sedentary self is ready for. Would’ve liked to see wild Komodo dragons and hit a place everyone’s heard of, but pass. Red Sea – said to be better than the Caribbean but not on par with Indonesia, good prices, some dive sites get crowded, oceanic white-tips would be cool but…pass. Fiji – soft coral capitol of the world; some tiger sharks but I saw those in Jupiter, FL. Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands sound as good (or maybe a tad better? (e.g.: WW 2 wrecks)) vs. Raja Ampat, but more off-the-beaten-path, trip might not reliably adhere to the plan and have a rep. as quite expensive. I wouldn’t take advantage of the topside exploration options that’d make PNG a winner.

Settle on Raja Ampat. Make a world map my desktop wallpaper to develop a sense of where these places are in relation to each other. I recommend this one:
World_Map_(political).svg.png

And this one:
Indonesia_(orthographic_projection).svg.png

Take a U.S./Caribbean regional map and metaphorically convert to a China/Indo-Pacific regional map to relate where things are. China in place of the U.S., the Philippines in place of the Caribbean, etc… Imagine someone set off a huge bomb, blew Central America to pieces and blasted them down along and below the equator…okay, many of those pieces form the island nation of Indonesia. Same bomb obliterated South America except a medium chunk just under the equator (New Guinea) and a big one way south (Australia). New Guinea is divided by a vertical line into a west (left) half – part of Indonesia, and an east (right) half – the sovereign nation of Papua, New Guinea. To the east (right) of New Guinea are a bunch of little islands, some of which form the Solomon Islands. The Coral Triangle (only in a crude sense a triangle) encompasses the Philippines, Indonesia and the Solomon Islands.

Google Maps - US Caribbean.jpg

Google Maps - Coral Triangle.jpg

Both Google maps acquired by using GoogleMaps.com, Print, choosing PDF as the printer, then saving to a JPEG in Apple's Preview app. Intellectual property rights are Google's.

II.) Indonesia.
image.png

The Republic of Indonesia is the world’s largest island nation (consisting of > 17,000 islands) and 4th most populous country (most populous Muslim-majority nation), lies between the Indian and Pacific Oceans, has > 267 million people (over half live on Java), with hundreds of distinct ethnic and linguistic groups – hence the motto ‘Many, yet one.’ The capital, Jakarta, is the 2nd most populous urban area (and fastest sinking city) in the world.

Most of Indonesia has a tropical climate, mainly tropical rainforest climate, and 2 seasons – wet (mainly Nov. – April.) and dry (mainly May – Oct.). ‘Interesting’ weather includes monsoons, and historically volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. It’s 2nd to Australia in number of endemic species.

Indonesia has a presidential multi-party system with executive, legislative and judicial branches. It’s divided into 34 provinces, each with a legislature and governor. The official language is Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesian), a standardized variety of Malay (but per Wikipedia there are > 700 indigenous local languages). The constitution stipulates religious freedom. Education is compulsory for 12 years and the literacy rate 96%.

They drive on the left-hand side of the road. Their currency is the Indonesian Rupiah (IDR); when I was there, the value of $1 U.S. was around 14,000 IDR (yes, a penny was worth many rupiah). The tap water is considered unsafe to drink (but Jakarta’s is chlorinated, so I’m unsure about it).
IMG_0498.jpeg.jpg

Research indicated great diversity by region in terms of cultural norms (e.g.: how much body coverage is expected in public places). Toiletry practices vary from ‘squatty potties’ with a tub of water and a bucket (no toilet paper, and it’s traditional not to offer anyone something with your left hand…yeah, there’s a connection) to western-style toilets with toilet paper and often the addition of a ‘bum gun’ (Swiss-Belhotel toilets had bidets). The pervasiveness of English varies. In the tourist-frequented areas I went, English was quite common, decently fluent and I never had to resort to squatty potties or do without toilet paper (plus I now like bum guns and bidets).
IMG_1489.jpeg

Western-style toilet with toilet paper and bum gun at FM7 Resort Hotel in Jakarta
IMG_1510.jpeg

Squatty Potty with toilet paper and bum gun at an airport.

An equatorial archipelago of 4 main islands (Waigeo, Batanta, Salawati, Misool plus Kofiau) and > 1,500 small islands, cays and shoals, part of the Coral Triangle and administratively part of the province of West Papua. Most of the islands form the Raja Ampat Regency, encompassing around 27,000 square miles with a population of 47,885 (in 2018). The main occupation is fishing, traditional culture is strong and they speak the Papuan language. Blue Water Dive Travel recommends up-to-date vaccinations for typhoid, tetanus/diphtheria, hepatitis A and polio for all tropical trips, and malaria prophylaxis.

While the wildlife focus is heavily marine, there are topside creatures, too – such as yellow-crested cockatoos, king parrots, birds of paradise, bandicoot, spotted cuscus, striped opossum, Waigeou cuscus, saltwater crocodiles (risk to divers is very low, but Russian diver Sergey Lykhvar was killed in 2016 and David Shem-Tov survived an attack in July 2009), Indonesian forest dragon (looks like an iguana), mangrove monitor, bluetail monitor, spectacled flying fox and many more (see the iNaturalist Raja Ampat Check List for land and marine life). Also see Crocodile encounters in Raja Ampat? On my trip we dove near mangroves at times, but from discussion with the Cruise Director I believe we weren’t near areas salt-water crocodiles were known to frequent (there are places she’s been warned not to snorkel). On a prior trip they were at a place where they could see creeks in the distance and an Australian guest saw bubbles coming up in the creek and recognized that as an indicator of crocodiles. In short, we didn’t worry about them, but they do exist in Raja Ampat.
IMG_7876.JPG

Salt-water crocodile at Gatorland near Orlando, Florida, Aug. '08 (nowhere near Raja Ampat).
  • Per Blue Water Dive Travel, water temp.s around 89 (elsewhere said 80-86; Aggressor Fleet said 82-86) year-round and viz. 30-70 feet. Can involve strong currents – some divers use reef hooks. Remote – takes 3 or more flights to reach from most parts of the world. Regarding a Raja Ampat Aggressor trip, Outofofficebrb (Post #5) said all diving is done off inflatable boats, some entries required negative descent due to strong current and ensuring group cohesion while hitting the split point, quick descents and equalizing while sorting out gear and comfort issues were important, no mooring lines to aid ascent or descent, some drift diving and some swimming against current, and she’d rate it more difficult than Cozumel. Billt4sf (Post #2) said Dampier Strait sites tend to have more current, those in the south much less, but the south has pinnacles with sometimes strong current and reef hooks with negative entry used; moon phase makes a big difference, more current just after a new or full moon.
  • IMG_1588.jpeg
  • IMG_9805 (1).jpeg
  • Live-aboard trips offered Oct. to May, the prime diving season; less rain, calmer seas & better viz. Mid.-June – Mid.-Sept. monsoon season – some liveaboards don’t go; south gets inaccessible but north and central parts remain accessible. Dan (Post #5) opined Dec. is the best time for Raja Ampat; he said (Post #17) good liveaboards usually fill up about 12 months ahead. Darnold9999 (Post #4) recommended one avoid repositioning trips (e.g.: from Komodo to Raja Ampat), as outside Raja Ampat’s marine park you’ll see a number of dynamited reefs.
  • Popular liveaboard destination but land-based is an option. Sorido Bay Dive Resort and Misool Eco Resort are reputable. For the tight budget diver, there are homestay options…which can be isolated with very spartan amenity levels (see The cheaper option – homestays). With land-based stays mosquitos may be more of a risk, so prophylactic anti-malarial medication may be considered. Raja Ampat is tropical and humid; cheaper land-based options may lack air conditioning – see Humidity and sleep in Raja Ampat.
  • Home Stays – much cheaper, rustic, apt to be lacking in western amenities. Per Backpackers -In The World- most lack 24-hour electricity, it’s by generator from 6 p.m. – 11 p.m., take a headlight because nighttime bathroom trips may need it, water is apt to be from wells (not running water), food’s what they serve with no other options, and don’t expect wifi.
  • Cheaper resorts – may lack air conditioning.
  • Higher end resorts – air conditioning.
  • Liveaboard providers – varied price/amenity levels.
  • Recommend fly internationally to Jakarta, overnight nearby (before & after recommended), 4-hour flight to Sorong (baggage allowances can be small) (and overnight, likely at Swiss-Belhotel, if planning a liveaboard) – departure for most liveaboards. Billt2sf said you can’t get there without going through Jakarta, Bali or maybe Singapore, all significantly west of it, and none with a direct flight to R.A. He suggested plan a rest break rather than travel 24 hours and immediately jump on a liveaboard. It took me 3 flights and over 24-hours to get from Nashville, TN to Jakarta, starting in the very early a.m., and Jakarta was 11-hours ‘ahead’ of U.S. winter central standard time so there’s the jet lag factor to consider. It’s wise to have extra time for luggage to catch up with you, if needed. If you plan to fly to Sorong and board a liveaboard the same day (against advice), be mindful domestic flights’ reliability record is…spotty.
  • IMG_1852.jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9878 (1).jpeg.jpg
    IMG_9878 (1).jpeg.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 59
Why is Raja Ampat so special? Pooling Papua Paradise Eco Resort’s Why is There So Much Biodiversity in Raja Ampat with what Indo-Siren Cruise Director Alexa taught us, it’s in the center of the Coral Triangle (a region with great diversity), had an extremely long run of continuous productive reef ecosystem (e.g.: no Ice Age wiped it out awhile), has warm water but with characteristics that may buffer against ‘hot spikes’ that would stress and kill more coral, it’s isolated so less pollution (though plenty of trash floats by on the surface), the Pacific Ocean to the northeast is 15-cm higher than average sea level and the Indian Ocean to the southwest 15-cm below average sea level so there’s continuous water flow through the region, and upwellings in the Pacific bring up nutrients carried by those currents to nourish life (albeit at the cost of some visibility; it’s good, but not on par with Cozumel).
IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

IMG_9955.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

IMG_0101.jpeg.jpg

IMG_9731.jpeg.jpg

IV.) Travel Agent Use.
I used Tim Yeo with Blue Water Dive Travel for this and my Jan. 2020 Galapagos trip and was pleased. Tim also handled trips for at least a couple of ours on this trip and some booked on the next and he’s reputable by reports on ScubaBoard, as a number of dive travel agents and agencies are. Some divers book their own trips, but if this level of international travel and Indonesia in particular are new to you, I highly recommend a good dive travel agent (who engages in dive travel himself and has 1st hand experience, as Tim does).
  • I gave him my dive goals and he quickly contrasted Raja Ampat with Komodo, helping cement my choice of Raja Ampat.
  • I gave him my liveaboard market niche (e.g.: mid.-range/value with decent amenities but not high luxury), and he quickly presented 3 reputable options.
  • It didn’t cost me anything.
  • Liveaboard.com had a 20% off sale on the Indo-Siren when I wanted to go; I told Tim and Blue Water Dive Travel matched it.
  • Given my travel parameters (e.g.: flying Economy, no extra topside touring, paying with cash not ‘miles’), he considered options and presented a recommended flight and hotel schedule which I accepted (figuring Tim would know what layovers are reasonable and necessary at foreign airports I had no experience with).
  • When I, like a number of other people, couldn’t get the domestic airfare payment system to accept my U.S. credit card, he had it paid through Blue Water Dive Travel and I reimbursed them.
  • He notified me when it became clear the Dec. 2021 trip wouldn’t go and needed rescheduling, once I approved the reschedule date did the rescheduling for me.
  • The sale price wasn’t ‘price-protected’ for the reschedule, but Tim told me BWDT was meeting with the owners of Master Liveaboard Fleet and Siren Fleet to negotiate a better option for their customers, and ultimately I kept the sale price.
  • Master Liveaboard Fleet required both dive (I had) and trip (I didn’t) insurance and Indonesia wanted COVID-19 coverage; Tim pointed out a provider I then used.
  • Tim arranged for the FM7 Resort Hotel shuttle to meet me at the airport in Jakarta when I flew in the first time.
  • He handled many miscellaneous questions from me (e.g.: baggage, safety of tap water in Jakarta, where there was a money machine outside when exiting the airport in Sorong).
  • I wasn't affected, but when the trip immediately after mine was cancelled late in the trip, he worked through the weekend trying to get his clients for the cancelled trip booked on alternate boats.

• On ScubaBoard we are blessed with a range of reputable travel agent and agency endorsements by fellow divers. I’ve made and booked my own arrangements in a number of U.S. and Caribbean destinations, but researching and booking my Raja Ampat trip independently would’ve been a nightmare at my level of ability.

Attachments

• IMG_9892.jpeg.jpg
    IMG_9892.jpeg.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 62
V.) Planning (Included to offer an example time line).

Contact dive travel agent (Tim Yeo with Blue Water Travel) to ask about a prospective trip for late 2021, explain my situation (e.g.: chubby intermediate diver in his 50’s), lay out my understanding based on reading so he can correct errors, ask questions and get recommendations and cost estimates. He considered Raja Ampat better than Komodo for diving and suggested 3 possibilities; La Galigo 8-night trip early Nov. to southern Raja Ampat (e.g.: Misool area, but also the best area north in Dampier Straits); Samambaia 11-night Nov. 29 – Dec. 10 trip or 8-nights Dec. 13 - 21 as a great midrange boat, or Indo-Siren 10-nights Dec. 7-17. Note: there is too much travel ordeal involved getting there and back to settle for a 7-day trip; the 10-day Indo-Siren trips aim to also hit the Misool region but the 7-day trips don’t.

Eliminate La Galigo trip as too short and a little too early. Tempted by Samambaia but Liveaboard.com listed Indo-Siren sale at 20% ($1,068) off and Blue Water Travel agreed to match it; the price difference between Samambai and Indo-Siren trips was around $1,558. Book it. Tim said pre-COVID roundtrip international airfare ran around $1,200 - $1,500, domestic flights added around $300, and overnight hotel in Jakarta each way $100/night so $200 (note: also needed one night at Swiss-Belhotel in Sorong).

Minor Quibble: when Blue Water Travel’s system sent a request for a payment, it defaulted to the total amount owed, not necessarily the portion due at the time. I needed to manually change that; if you just click through and pay, you may pay off your whole trip before you have to. I messed up and did this; Tim had the extra refunded to me.

Tim said we should start looking at flights about 9 – 10 months before the trip.

Due to the pandemic, the trip got cancelled; Tim notified me Sept. 3, 2021, and offered dates for reschedule. The reschedule made for Dec. 2 – 12, 2022 was not price-protected regarding the 20% off sale, but Tim said they had a meeting with the owners of Siren and Master Fleet to negotiate a better option for their guests, and Master Liveaboard Fleet honored the sale price.

Tim set up an international airfare itinerary with American Airlines, cleared it with me and booked. He recommended staying at the FM7 Resort Hotel in Jakarta one night coming and going, and one night at Swiss-Belhotel in Sorong prior to boarding the Indo-Siren. Those hotels are often mentioned and widely used on such trips; the FM7 gets good reviews, the Swiss-Belhotel gets mixed reviews on Trip Adviser, cited as being the best of the lot available. Tim set up domestic flights on Batik Air; I and a number of U.S.-based divers couldn’t pay with American credit cards, so Tim paid via Blue Water Travel and I repaid them. We discussed Batik Air’s included luggage weight allowance (25-kg for me; online it looks like 20-kg is more typical); he explained they probably don’t care if it’s 1 bag or 2, the total weight is the issue (my experience bore this out), and in his experience it cost around $1 - $5 per extra kg. Flights and hotels weren’t booked till after the trip reschedule, so there were no hassles with that. Tim said with Indonesian domestic airlines their excess baggage weight policies are seldom clear, a lot depends on the person at the checkout counter, their credit card machines are often not working so I might have to pay in cash, and it’d be better to pay in local IDR but they accept most major currencies like UDS and EUR (albeit with a less-than-desirable exchange rate).

On the other hand, SB member @cozcharlie got back from a trip early Oct. 2022 and reported some issues which I misunderstood, so he clarified in a post below (which I'll quote here, to avoid spreading misinformation). Per @cozcharlie -
I actually was able to get money from multiple ATMs at Jakarta airport. I was rejected by the first one(didn’t seem to work for anyone) but had no problems at second two. I was just using a plain old ATM card , not a debit card.

I used Tim Yeo with Blue Water Dive Travel for this and my Jan. 2020 Galapagos trip and was pleased. Tim also handled trips for at least a couple of ours on this trip and some booked on the next and he’s reputable by reports on ScubaBoard, as a number of dive travel agents and agencies are. Some divers book their own trips, but if this level of international travel and Indonesia in particular are new to you, I highly recommend a good dive travel agent (who engages in dive travel himself and has 1st hand experience, as Tim does).

My experience: Batik Air charged $63.80 for 7-kg luggage weight overage for my return flight, which breaks down to around $9.11/kg, they took my U.S. VISA-based credit card without complaint, I couldn’t get money from 3 Jakarta Airport ATMs with my bank debit card, my Batik Air travel allowance on my Traveloka reservation was 25-kg (online it appears 20-kg is more typical, so you may be looking at bigger costs going and coming). For the international leg of the trip, my American Airlines ticket covered 1 checked bag, but I had to pay $100 extra for the 2nd checked bag both going and coming.

I checked into upgrade costs for international flights to business class or first class. They were very expensive; the thought of being stuck in economy class for a 12-hour stretch is bad, but I’m retired and budget-minded. From what I’m told, on long over ocean international flights, Internet service may be spotty and/or slow if available. Better download some books and things.

Note: I found the distance from my face to the back of the seat facing me too short for comfortable reading. At least they fed us meals on the long flights.

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg.jpg

My experience: I was too cheap to pay even Economy upgrades for aisle or window seats. A big guy stuck in a middle seat for well over 10-hours trans-Pacific flight can get pretty awful (I was in a middle seat on all flights there, and every flight was pretty packed). On the return leg, I had no e-mail prompt to check in, didn’t check in till I got the Jakarta Airport, the check-in counter lady asked if I wanted an aisle or window seat, and got me aisle seats for no extra charge on all 3 international flights coming home. I only saw inflight Internet on an international flight mentioned once, on offer on the Tokyo-to-Dallas trip, IIRC it was $29, and I didn’t pay. I watched some free inflight movies and recommend Wonder Woman, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore and The Bad Guys. I found the distance from my face to the seat in front of me too short for comfortable reading distance. USB-chargers on the backs of plane seats charged my iPhone very slowly. On long international flights they fed us pretty well, actual meals.
IMG_9721.jpeg.jpg

Small cuttlefish on a night dive. I didn't see them out by day.
Note: Garuda Airlines has a reputation as more expensive but more reliable with a more generous baggage weight allowance by way of sports equipment. Batik Air has a rep. for being cheaper, having lower baggage allowance and being less reliable.

I got multiple e-mails from American Airlines about flight changes; they spooked me but flight time adjustments tended to be quite small.
IMG_0615.jpeg

Travel insurance (in addition to dive insurance) was required by Master Liveaboards, and Indonesia wanted COVID-19 coverage. Tim suggested Arch RoamRight as a reputable option, so I purchased a policy on Nov. 30, 2020 for $258 (for trip cost $4,272; product was Pro Plus), and when my trip was cancelled and rescheduled, they moved the coverage period to the new dates, no extra charge.

May 17, 2022 – Got confirmation my vaccine info. was approved and could now be added to the PeduliLindungi app. I’d learned about the PeduliLindungi app. on ScubaBoard.

Sept. 9, 2022 – Confirmation I enrolled in the U.S. Smart Traveler Program.
IMG_9696.jpeg.jpg

There were many sea stars (starfish), and multiple species, on our trip.
Oct. 28, 2022 – Tim Yeo sent notice of a $150 fuel surcharge ($15/night) added; he said it’s just under average of what they’re seeing from all the boats, and a lot of liveaboards have been charging a fuel surcharge due to a large increase in price of fuel.
IMG_0021.jpeg.jpg

Oct. 2022 – Write out a detailed itinerary plan (e.g.: air travel and hotel dates and times, layover and flight durations, when the ferry leaves from Sorong, etc… Make question list – how to get from airports to hotels, hotel to liveaboard, when to get IDR for excess baggage weight on Batik Air, etc… Work on packing list, things I need to get (e.g.: sun hat).
IMG_9564.jpeg.jpg

Even the sea urchins were often ornate.
Nov. 16, 2022 – Tim Yeo e-mailed me that point of departure changed to Sorong, so I don’t have to take the ferry. The plan remains for someone to come get me at the Swiss-Belhotel lobby at noon on departure day.

Nov. 26. Late that evening got 2 e-mails from JAL (Japan Airlines); gotta wear a face mask on plane and in airport. Recommend check-in via app. and use VeriFLY to check COVID quarantine documents in advance. Note: while my international flights were all booked as American Airlines, Japan Airlines does ‘code-sharing’ flights with them. So it’s Japan Airlines running my flights between Tokyo and Jakarta, but American Airlines between Tokyo and Dallas. Japan Airlines told us to wear masks and ‘try to keep conversation to a minimum’ – they seem on the more risk averse side of the pandemic debate.

Nov. 27 in the morning: got e-mail from American Airlines it’s time to check in. Printed boarding passes but didn’t offer option to pre-pay baggage. Then uploaded my vaccine certification card photo into VeriFly. Wouldn’t scan QR code from Walgreens or Walmart record because that one code didn’t have all the record, I guess. Didn’t offer to scan multiple cords to upload multiple images, so the card photo I sent had the original vaccination + 2 boosters but not my latest. VeriFly’s still a bit confusing to use; finally figured out how to get to the list of what’s needed for the Japan Airlines portion of the trip, which led to entering vaccination record.
IMG_9655.jpeg.jpg

I saw 1 hawksbill and several green sea turtles.
My experience: Japan Airlines’ e-mail can be confusing and intimidating because it appears to assume I’m planning to stay in Japan for a time, not just grab a connecting flight, so it put forward requirements that didn’t apply to me. Depending on what part of Tokyo’s Narita Airport you’re in, it can appear a bit quiet and low key, or elaborate with big shops. Announcements were also in English, though some of the women had soft voices and could be hard to understand through the announcement system.
IMG_9433.jpeg.jpg

There were many jellyfish at times.

VI.) Travel Itinerary Plan (and what actually happened).
IMG_9357.jpeg.jpg

Note: Flight times are as originally scheduled. I got a number of notices from American Airlines about minor changes that didn’t change much. My return layover in Dallas ended up planned for 1 hour, 31 minutes, very tight to deplane, go through Customs (Global Entry sped that up), get and turn in my 2 checked bags (a nerve-wracking time killer) and get to the gate in time to board…which likely would’ve worked out even without the flight delay that left me blessed with plenty of time in Dallas. On my Indonesian domestic flight back from Sorong to Jakarta, Batik Air added a stop in Makassar to my ‘non-stop’ flight, which meant deplaning, taking a shuttle to get into the airport, standing in line to get my boarding pass changed, then taking another shuttle out to a different plane.

Nov. 28.

Leave home at 4 a.m. (or earlier!).​
Depart Nashville Airport at 7:11 a.m. Flt. AA2583.​
2:24 flight time.​
Arrive in Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport 9:35 a.m. 1:05 layover.​
Depart DFW at 10:40 a.m. on Flt. AA61.​
13:50 flight time.​
Update: The American Airlines rep. at the check-in counter in Nashville indicated I had to do the Indonesian e-CD Customs Declaration Form at check-in…which led to a frantic effort to get the URL typed into my iPhone, the questions answered and show her the QR code so I could get my boarding pass. I’d planned to do this during layover in Tokyo!​

Nov. 29.

Arrive in Tokyo (NRT) at 3:30 p.m. (Due to time zone changes). Flt. AA8499. 2:25 layover.​
8:00 flight time.​
Do e-CD Customs Declaration Form for Indonesia online during layover.​
Depart NRT at 5:55 p.m. on Flt. AA8499.​
Arrive in Jakarta at 11:55 p.m.​
Withdraw the max. amount from an airport ATM. Tim said ATMs vary in max. withdrawal rates/day; he typically takes out the max. at the 1st he comes across at the airport, using that for cash till he runs low and hits another. He said there are money changers at the airport and in town. He said there are working ATMs and money changers in the Jakarta airport and in town. A counter person might convert USD to IDR at a really bad exchange rate.​
Update: I tried 3 ATMs at Jakarta Airport with my bank debit card and none let me get money. Ended up not needing rupiah (e.g.: Batik Air took my credit card for excess baggage weight payment, and a Sorong airport taxi driver took me to Swiss-Belhotel for $20 USD (maybe double a ‘proper’ fare, if I understand correctly, but good enough with the frightening traffic in Sorong – he earned it). Some airport shops don’t take USD or credit cards (but a nice guy gave me a Coke Zero!).​
IMG_1514.jpeg

Nov. 30.

Go to a booth to show vaccination status (Note: did this with my U.S. CDC paper card).​
Go to a booth to pay Visa on Arrival fee and get a receipt.​
Get in line for Immigration to get actual Visa stamp on passport with departure date and some symbol.​
Pick up bags and get in line to clear customs; must show QR code for customs form that was filled out online (can only be done 24-hours or so in advance). May have to fill out health declaration using PeduliLindungi App if QR code to scan doesn’t work (was not an issue).​
Take taxi or shuttle to FM7 Resort Hotel in Jakarta. Tim said FM7 Resort Hotel has a shuttle – e-mail info@fm7hotel.com or call +62 21 5591 1177 with reservation # and flight details to set up airport transfers. Tim had to wait for the shuttle, so he prefers to take a taxi – it’s faster (but he arranged the shuttle to come get me). Technically check in night of Nov. 29. Breakfast at hotel is 6 a.m. – 10 a.m.; their restaurant is open way late (think I ate there around 1:30 – 2 a.m. or so?).​

IMG_1487.jpeg

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1488.jpeg

IMG_1489.jpeg

That evening, take taxi or shuttle from FM7 Resort Hotel back to Jakarta Airport. I think it was Terminal 2D.​
Need to arrive in time for 00:35 a.m. departure after midnight.​
Update: When you get to Jakarta airport and are waiting for your checked bags on the luggage carousel, if a porter offers to take your bags and guide you through the remainder of the proceedings, let him and tip afterward; he can make your day go better. My Blue Water Dive Travel agent Tim Yeo had FM7 Resort Hotel send their free shuttle to meet me.​

Dec. 1.

Use airport ATM to get IDR currency to pay extra weight baggage fees for Batik Air (Note: tried 3 ATMs and none worked with my bank debit card, that uses VISA system. Paid Batik Air luggage charges with my credit card, no problems. You do have to check in, get your luggage weighed, take a paper showing the weight to a separate counter, pay, then bring back your receipt to get your boarding pass to proceed with getting through security and the gate for your flight).​
Depart Jakarta at 00:35 a.m. on Batik Air ID-7797. Check in at least 90 minutes before departure.​
Arrive at Sorong at 6:40 a.m.​
Note: There’s a 2-hour time zone difference between Jakarta and Sorong. Flight time maybe 4:05? Compared to winter U.S. central standard time, Jakarta is 11-hours different and Sorong (same time as Tokyo, Japan) is 9-hours different (I was told we were ‘ahead’ of America, but I got there heading west which I’m used to thinking is like going back in time, so I’m still confused).​
Take taxi to Swiss-Belhotel. Note: Swiss-Belhotel does not have a shuttle!​
Update: I couldn’t get 3 airport ATMs to work for me. They did have English instructions, didn’t give me money, couldn’t complete my transaction, at least 2 claimed I entered the wrong PIN (no I did not!!!) and threatened if I did that 3 times my card would be disabled. From reports I’d feared I couldn’t pay Batik Air’s excess luggage weight fee without IDR in cash (had no trouble, just used my VISA credit card) or a cab driver from Sorong Airport to Swiss-Belhotel (there was a throng of taxi drivers and he did it for $20 U.S.).​
IMG_1532.jpeg

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1536.jpeg

IMG_1540.jpeg

IMG_1538.jpeg

IMG_1539.jpeg

Update #2: Some Sorong Airport shops took my U.S. credit card; at least one wouldn’t (or U.S. cash). I couldn’t find Diet Coke, Coke Zero or Pepsi equivalents there.​
IMG_1543.jpeg

The rooms I saw at Swiss-Belhotel had very small balconies (good for drying swim trunks on the way home); this is the view from my first room there.

Dec. 2.

Take taxi from Swiss-Belhotel to ferry terminal (per Tim transfer included in liveaboard price). Tim said pickup time is noon – be ready in the reception area of the hotel.​
Take ferry transfer from Sorong to Waisai at 2:30 p.m. (That’s what usually happens, but I got advance notice pickup would be in Sorong).​
Board the Indo-Siren – embarkation at 5 p.m. Might get up to ~ 34 dives, minimum 30.​
Pay $180 USD marine, park and port fees (did this at end of trip).​
My reservation says $45 for 13 Liter AL100 tank and $130 standard nitrox package to be paid onboard.​
They can do Visa or Mastercard, either with a 3% surcharge.​
Update: Due to rough seas we couldn’t make it to the northern part of Raja Ampat (e.g.: Wayag). The itinerary plan appeared designed to offer us 30 dives. Due to schedule modifications related to a boat engine breakdown, we were offered a total of 31.​

Attachments

• IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1536.jpeg
    IMG_1536.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 58
Dec. 3-10.

Plan up to 4 dives/day (3 day, 1 sunset/night); really 3-4/day.​
IMG_1632.jpeg

IMG_1635.jpeg

Schedule:​
Light breakfast then dive briefing.​
Dive 1.​
Full breakfast, relaxation, dive briefing.​
Dive 2.​
Lunch, relaxation, dive briefing.​
Dive 3.​
Snacks and relaxation, dive briefing.​
Dive 4 (sunset or night dive).​
Dinner.​

Update: Indo-Siren tends to have more evening than true night dives; we were told Raja Ampat has some good night diving, but not a lot of sites with it. Dinner followed the last dive, so evening dives freed us up earlier.​
IMG_9962.jpeg

I saw 1 toadfish this trip.

Dec. 11.

Up to 2 dives.​
Note: Crew gratuities can only be accepted as cash!
IMG_9880.jpeg

A wobbegong shark was #1 on my 'to see' list. Our guide Stefan found a couple.

Dec. 12.

Disembark Indo-Siren in Sorong no later than 10 a.m.​
Take taxi or shuttle to Airport (transfer included in package deal). Check in at least 90 minutes before departure. Tim said I’ll be dropped off at Sorong Airport at 10 a.m.​
Depart Sorong at 3:35 p.m. on Batik Air ID-6155.​
Due to 2-hour time zone difference, flight time maybe 5:30?​
Arrive in Jakarta at 7:05 p.m.​
Take taxi or shuttle to FM7 Resort Hotel.​
Update: the Indo-Siren engine got a hole and the boat was stuck on Dec. 10th. An extra dive was added the 10th, we still had 2 dives the 11th, an enclosed ‘bus-like’ speed boat came and took us to Sorong, we were overnighted at the Swiss-Belhotel (except 2 guests booked elsewhere), provided dinner, and taken to the airport the 12th…an excellent response by our great Cruise Director Alexa and Master Liveaboard Fleet.​
Update #2: Batik Air added a stop in Makassar with no advance notice before I reached the airport, we arrived in Jakarta about an hour later than originally planned, and I had maybe 5 hours in bed before getting up at 2:45 a.m. to get ready and downstairs for the hotel shuttle to Jakarta Airport.​
IMG_0780.jpeg.jpg

There were many triggerfish, like this clown trigger fish.
IMG_9877.jpeg

If I've got my I.D. right from an online picture guide, had I known this was the dreaded titan triggerfish, I'd have been a bit scared. I saw a number of them (but always individually); they looked about 2 feet long.
IMG_9369.jpeg

The only stingrays I saw were some blue-spotted stingrays.
IMG_9686.jpeg

The moray eels I saw all looked a lot like the California morays.

Dec. 13.

Take taxi or shuttle to Jakarta Airport.​
Depart Jakarta on Flt. AA8497 at 6:35 a.m.​
7:20 flight time.​
Arrive in Tokyo at 3:55 p.m. 2:35 layover.​
Depart Tokyo at 6:30 p.m. on AA60.​
11:35 flight time (Update: we were told 10 hours, 41 minutes on the plane).​
Arrive at DFW at 3:05 p.m. (Due to time zone changes headed east). 1:30 layover (Update: plane at Nashville had quite a delay, so ended up with plenty of time).​
Depart DFW at 4:35 p.m. on AA2238.​
1:50 flight time.​
Arrive at Nashville at 6:25 p.m. on AA2238. Wife drove me home.​

VII.) English And Amenities.
  • I traveled through Narita International Airport in Tokyo, Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Jakarta and Domine Eduard Osok Airport in Sorong (with a stop changing planes in Makassar). The big majority of staff had decent English ability, signage and ATMs (3 of which I tried at Jakarta’s airport and couldn’t get to work with my bank ATM card) typically offered English and announcements and airport gates were given in English plus another language. Staff presentations/briefings about the Indo-Siren were given in English.

• Indonesian airports may have some ‘squatty potties,’ but also western-style toilets, usually with ‘bum guns’ but also toilet paper holders (in Sorong’s airport, some holders were empty but I found some).

• Not all Jakarta airport shops took credit cards or U.S. dollars, but some did. At Sorong’s airport, one souvenir shop did and one didn’t. At Narita Airport I had no trouble using a credit card. While another diver reported strong resistance by Batik Air (domestic flights airline) to accepting a credit card to pay excess baggage weight (which you’ll probably have to do), they readily accepted mine.

• The FM7 Resort Hotel in Jakarta and Indo-Siren en-suite bathrooms and ‘public’ bathrooms on the outer sides all had bum guns and toilet paper. The Swiss-Belhotel in Sorong toilets had a bidet and toilet paper. Hot water was available in the showers.

VIII.) How Difficult Was The Diving?

The Messenger:
IMG_1726.jpeg

Photo by my room mate Glenn.
Group photo.jpg

Photo of Guests & Crew by our Cruise Director Alexa.

This is relative and I don’t set the bar high as a diver. I’m early 53, 6’1”, around 265-lbs, obese, fairly sedentary (I don’t get winded walking across a room and can walk a mile at a decent clip, but I can’t run it, and I’m not recognized at the gym). I don’t multi-task well and am not great with situational awareness. I think I maintain decent horizontal trim when conditions are good. Most of my diving has been in Bonaire, with a mix of Florida and other Caribbean destinations (28 dives in Cozumel, so I’ve dealt with current/drift diving) and 19 dives in the Galapagos (so I’ve dealt with pangas before). My dive count is over 500. In Cozumel I had trouble drifting faster than the guides. I vary but am not reliably ‘good’ at extended stationary hovering to look at and snap shoot small creatures, especially if I have to drop down a few feet to where the guide is to do it. I am sadly prone to occasionally hit things with a fin when struggling with this juggling act, a deficit I’m ashamed of and keep working to improve. In other words, I dive okay, not great, but task loading is a strain. I have no professional or technical dive training.
IMG_0646.JPG

Every octopus I saw by day was in a hole, shown me by guides.

At night we saw little ones. I don't think I saw any blue-ringed octopi, though.

A man’s got to know his limitations,” – Inspector ‘Dirty’ Harry Callahan, Magnum Force.

My air consumption rate is fair; 0.60 - 0.65 cf/minute isn’t uncommon in easy diving (my gas consumption rate in cubic feet/minute per my Cobalt 2 for dives 16 – 25 was 0.67, 0.60, 0.60, 0.64, 0.53, 0.64, 0.60, 0.64, 0.67 and 0.78 – the last is the one I called due to fighting current). I rented one of their 13-liter 100-cf tanks (rated fill pressure 3,300 PSI), and still tended to run low on air first. Per my Oceanic VT3 computer, starting gas pressures varied from 2,912 to 3,292 PSI, tending to cluster around 3,000 or a bit more. A typical dive time for me might run around 50 minutes, give or take; I ascended with an SMB and did my safety stop and got on the dinghy; other divers stayed down considerably longer. Aside from the 24 minute dive I called early, my dive times ranged from 41:30 to 66:30 (minutes:seconds).

Disclaimer: from what we were told, staff aim for 60 minute dive times and if not under pressure to keep a schedule are open to longer times if the divers’ air is sufficient. Most people got substantially longer dive times than I did.
IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

We saw plenty of mantis shrimp.

Despite trying multiple masks I’ve resigned myself that leakage (mainly under my nose and cheek ‘laugh lines’ is a thing with me. I’m told Vaseline is petroleum-based so don’t use that, silicone grease was suggested but nowhere near viscous enough, and I’m afraid peanut butter might make fish go at my face. I have to clear my mask often.

My eyes are weird. I’m a bit far sighted in my left eye, quite near-sighted in my right eye (which has a hypoplastic optic nerve and a small cataract; imagine scrawling a spider web pattern with Chapstick on your right glasses lens and trying to read through it), and I can’t make out the tinier macro subjects well. I use an old Canon G16 in a Fantasea housing for snapshots; usually my only custom setting besides underwater scene mode is switching between flash-off and force-flash. On this trip I eventually broke down and started switching in and out of the macro setting, so setting up for a shot, I’d fiddle with the camera settings while trying to get to the guide, hover, clear my mask (while he thinks he’s pointing out where the creature is to me), then get 2 or 3 shots, hope I’m lucky and try to back out and move on.
IMG_0543.JPG

Crocodile fish.

I dive a BP/W system with an attached Dive Rite thigh pocket; it’s more hassle to get into and out of, but aids horizontal trim (plus it’s paid for and mine). It lacks pockets other than the Dive Rite (where I pack an SMB, because no matter how I rolled it up in the past, it often spewed out the side and trailed by dive’s end). I had not dealt with reef hooks before. My last 2 dives staff let me use an AquaLung BCD so my BP/W rig could dry more; it was okay, horizontal trim a bit harder to maintain and at the surface I was vertical and held high, the bottom of my chin at the surface. I’ve got a size 15 foot and dive 2-XL Deep 6 Eddy fins, mainly with a flutter kick.
IMG_0280.jpeg.jpg

Plenty of scorpion fish.
IMG_0559.JPG

Including this leaf scorpion fish Glenn showed me.

In a group finning into moderate current, you may see leaner and/or fitter people moving forward at a decent clip, while I fin pretty vigorously to hold position or advance slowly. Struggling with current can get me breathing faster, going through my gas faster, exasperated and when I try to control my breathing rate at risk for a CO2 headache. I called one dive nearly 20-minutes in when we were fighting current, I wondered when (and if) we’d get past it, looked up and saw the guide and other divers congregating in the current to photograph some macro subject, and that flipped my ‘forget this’ button; I waited till the guide looked at me, signaled my intent to ascend, he came over, and I went on up with his okay (note: the Cruise Director later told me we would’ve eventually reached a turn and began a drift dive). That was 1 dive out of 31. I later overheard a guide in a different group working with the French divers who complemented them on their strong kicking ability such that she could go into current.

Disclaimer: I didn’t see up-currents, down-currents, really fast currents or ‘sweep you rapidly away at the surface’ currents. Current strength wasn’t anything that’d impress a mainstream Cozumel diver. The issue was the need to fin against it at times, rather than drift with it continuously. Current direction changes, so planning has to take in site topography, desired places to reach and what the current is doing when the guide sticks his head in the water. We weren’t fighting substantial current most of the time.

Note: If you are fit with good cardio., strong legs and kicking/finning ability and/or your cross-sectional area to push through the water is smaller than mine, you may find Raja Ampat diving not nearly so ‘challenging.’ Current is not constant, sometimes it’s very mild and we did some drift diving. It’s not all difficult, but at times it is.
IMG_0276.jpeg.jpg

Tunicates were all over the place on some dives.

In summary, diving in Raja Ampat (my trip) could be easy to moderately challenging on occasion for some, on up to intermittently a strain and sometimes frustratingly difficult for others. My dive game wasn’t quite at the Raja Ampat level, but I had a good time and an enriching trip with a good margin of safety.

Disclaimer: You can’t please all of the people all of the time. Guides try to mitigate current issues, but there’s only so much they can do. Entering current offers advantages for people who can handle it. My aborted dive was near the full moon, which tends to worsen currents. Raja Ampat offers an impressive number and diversity of macro. subjects, guides are needed to find some of those, and many guests much value those observation and photo opportunities (you should see the photos my roommate Glenn was getting with his Olympus TG6 in microscope mode with an external (video?) light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom