http://www.diveheart.org/

Petition CDC to Lift Travel Advisory to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The petition was a very good idea. When I signed the count was just over 50, now you are closing in on 900.

If I could offer a word of advice to those making comments. The CDC's paramount concern is health risk, not how this is affecting the local economy. Instead I'd recommend you point out the inconsistency with the WHO position and that really the horse is out of the barn - virus is now worldwide and health experts are treating it like a new, but common, flu strain. (If anything, if serious about prevention local infection, Coz might want to prevent any travel in or out of Coz but that's never going to happen.)

Check out a video put together a couple of days ago (May 11th) about Puerto Vallata in general .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DknNF51058w

Some of the shots are not recent and are very possibly stock footage but the interviews are up to date (except for the info on the zero cases of H1N1)

It will help everyone to make up their own mind about the situation.

At this time there are already some Flu cases in the state of Jalisco (where Vallarta is located) and Nayarit (just across the Ameca river) and there might be a couple in Vallarta but children are going back to school on Monday after 2 weeks of mandatory vacation.

Those of us living or visiting in Mexico are taking basic WHO and Secretaria de Salud precautions, but life (and of course diving !!) goes on.

We will be working on an UW mapping project at Los Arcos in the coming days regardless , no doubt about that !

One of the diving precautions we do take is only using our own regs and/or properly desinfecting them before diving . We do not conduct real s-drills before dives, we just make sure long hoses are free in case they are needed. Of course if a long hose is needed during a dive it is better not to drown than having to take treatment for H1N1 in case of infection.

Maybe it it will be a good idea to have someone in Cozumel make a similar video with divers visiting the island from abroad.

Happy diving !

This is, very seriously, totally useless.

CDC goes by epidemiologal and other data. They don't care the teensiest, tiniest bit about general public opinion.

Science is not a democratic process. I'm not saying it can't be or isn't politicized, but they could get tens of millions of petitions and it wouldn't change a thing. Nor should it.

I agree. And besides, do you really WANT the CDC to start making in a practice of basing their suggestions on what people who are financially involved want them to say?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom