Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a new dive computer. In the past I had a Cochran Gemini AI but since it bit the dust (and the company closed) I need a new one. I like AI but it isn’t a must. I do need large face/letter computer (I’m 66 yo). I was looking at a Peregrine. The display is what I like and Shearwater is a good company with a solid reputation. I have pause though because of the power source, namely it being rechargeable and cordless rechargeable at that. Does anyone have any experience using this computer especially the recharging aspect?

Take a look at the Ratio iX3M Pro. It is also a 3 gas computer like the Peregrine but is air integrated.

I have heard no complaints. I have Shearwater computers, but not that model. They are top shelf.

I have a peregrine and love it. I am 67 and the display is great. The text is very easy to see and the colors have good contrast against the background. You can change the colors if you want and where stuff is displayed. I haven't changed the default displays.

They provide every thing you need to recharge it. The battery lasts a really long time. I only turn on bluetooth when I upload my dives and I use a moderate sampling rate. I check my peregrine a day or two before I go diving to make sure the battery is charged and so far I haven't needed to recharge it.

Recharging my Peregrine is a snap. It charges wirelessly on the same charger that I use for my phone. Very cool feature. But, it doesn't use much battery, so it's not a big deal. I love the thing. It recently helped me through my first deco situation. I gave it a nice cleaning and recharging as a reward.

I didn't like the wrist strap though. I replaced it with shock cord and pitched the strap in the trash. I never looked back.

I have a peregrine and love it. I am 67 and the display is great. The text is very easy to see and the colors have good contrast against the background. You can change the colors if you want and where stuff is displayed. I haven't changed the default displays.

They provide every thing you need to recharge it. The battery lasts a really long time. I only turn on bluetooth when I upload my dives and I use a moderate sampling rate. I check my peregrine a day or two before I go diving to make sure the battery is charged and so far I haven't needed to recharge it.
Thanks for the reply. How long does a full charge last?

Thanks for the reply. How long does a full charge last?

Shearwater claim "up to 30 hours" on medium brightness. Couldn't say if that is true, but I just checked mine and it's done a bit over 10 hours since my last charge a little over 3 months ago (long winter) and it's showing about 70%.

I have two Peregrines. They are very popular and nobody complains about them. They will run a week of dives on a charge. And they charge easy and fast. The display is bright and easy to read. The only thing is I wish it had an integral compass. As to AI, I do not want it, will not have it, have no interest in it. I like my spg just fine. I look at my pressure when I hook up, watch my needle before I step in, maybe check it once or twice at the most during the dive. I dive for exploration and photography, not data tracking, better things to do than track data and mull over graphs of my air consumption afterwards. The Shearwater Cloud actually works and is easy to set up. There is no downside to the Peregrine and the form factor is excellent and it sits low on the arm. The silicone strap, well, mine popped the first time I put it on at the seam on the end. But the supplied bungee material has been fine since. I have about 200 dives on my first one, my wife has about 30 dives on hers now.

I really like mine. Before every dive, I charge my phone and my OrcaTorch and my….well, nope…not the Peregrine. The battery seems to last forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom