Perdix AI and VPM Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already paid for it, so the question is whether or not they will believe me when I tell them it isn't active and if I could simply get a refund. If they will refund it, I'll definitely go that route, otherwise I'll unlock it and move on. It was only $55, so it's not the end of the world either way. Oh well... C'est la vie n'est pas? :wink: Thanks for all the input.
I hear you. I still can't imagine why they charge that much for it. Except, maybe, because they can? I have been toying a bit with coding a cave diving tool, and a small art of this I looked at the source code for the deco algorithms of subsurface. And once you have Buhlmann in place, implementing VPM is just a few extra lines. I just can't see how they justify charging more than a dollar for this. Unless they're PharmaBro.

It might be a only few more lines but if you do your testing properly, they are 150% more testing at least.

I think at least some of the money goes to the people who developed it. Maybe ask shearwater but I don't think it's a profit thing for them I think it's for a licence for the algorithm.
Agreed - AFAIK Buhlman is an open source algorithm whereas VPM , to the best of my knowledge, is proprietary and therefore needs a license payment to be made by anyone wishing to use it.

Agreed - AFAIK Buhlman is an open source algorithm whereas VPM , to the best of my knowledge, is proprietary and therefore needs a license payment to be made by anyone wishing to use it.

shearwater said they are using an open source version of VPM from Erik Baker. It is significantly more intense to implement than ZHL so they are probably just trying to recover the software programming costs. The number of licenses they sell is pretty insignificant I imagine

Transferring VPM
Nitrox and computers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom