Perdido Pass seawall / Jetty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinsmithrn

Registered
Reaction score
Had a couple of great dives around the Perdido Pass Seawall and Jetty in Orange Beach, Alabama. While staying at the Grand Ponte condos located along the pass I dropped in where the seawall meets the rocks and worked my way to the end. The single tank dive was good if not great due to vis. I went in at high tide but the viz was at best 15 feet. Lots of small reef life but this gets hunted quite a bit so most of the big stuff was long gone. Current picked up a bit on the way back but was nothing to worry about at depth. Max depth for this dive was around 28 feet and water temp this late in September was 87 degrees.
The next day because my wife was snorkeling at the entry point I chose to work my way down the wall. Wow! So glad I did. The start of the dive was very unimpressive just a concrete wall, sand, and tons of rays. Then you start to run into random debris scattered on the bottom with lots of tropicals. I was having camera issues but I continued on. The channel runs very close and the current picks up a bit as you progress but you soon Run into the remains of an old seawall pushed out with tons of life on it. The current was manageable and the with the change of tides the viz improved dramatically. Everybody was feeding with the tidal current and was it was just unbelievable that 20 feet above me on the other side of the seawall was a open air resturant with people enjoying their meals as well. What a great convienent dive! Dive safe!
This is an easy dive but the entry point is the edge of a jetty with rocks and the waves can knock you around a bit both getting in and getting out. Gloves and boots are a must.
dive safe!
im gonna try and attach some Picts ... Forgive the quality I was having major camera problems and couldn't salvage much. If you recognize the schooling fish please I'd for me.

Hey I'm down here (perdido beach) right now... if I am staying on the Alabama side of the Florida/Alabama side, how to i get to where I can park and dive?

Yeah, an OK dive. Couple of years ago I did my 500th there.

Back
Top Bottom