Pencils for WetNotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, what's a decent pencil / writing instrument for use with WetNotes? The supplied pencils have a habit of swelling when wet, and the tip breaks / falls out, and they're impossible to sharpen underwater (I'm not going to start clipping off a pencil sharpener on a bolt snap!).

Someone mentioned a while ago the old fashion pencils that have a tube of fresh tips mounted in plastic running down the center - when a tip is worn out, you pull the plastic holder, and shove it back in the end of the pencil, which forces a new tip out. Haven't been able to find them anywhere though. Do mechanical pencils like a Pacer with the 0.7mm refills work? How about tradesmens pencils (the flat kind, forget their proper name)?

mechanical pencils work fine (I use the cheap ones, since I sometimes loose/ break them). I imagine carpenter's pencils would work fine too, but they would also have the problem of the wood swelling.

Scubaroo once bubbled...

Someone mentioned a while ago the old fashion pencils that have a tube of fresh tips mounted in plastic running down the center - when a tip is worn out, you pull the plastic holder, and shove it back in the end of the pencil, which forces a new tip out. Haven't been able to find them anywhere though.

They have them at every Target that I have been too. Made by a company called Rose Art. I bought 20 the last time I was there.

Fisher Space Pens. Yeah, the older folks are all going, "like the astronauts used?" That's the pen. The work in space and underwater.

Pro:
They write underwater, reliably, for a long, long time.
They considerably reduce the "smudgy" factor.
They can't be erased.

Con:
They cost more and are kind of hard to find.
They can't be erased.

Works for me, anyway.

Steven

Sorry 'bout that!

I thought I had seen it here!
( just read my post. I even said it. )

All credit to o-ring!!

Kell

Do they fit in the binder of wetnotes?

The one I had I think was a little 'fat' for that,
though that was quite a while ago when
I had one.