DIY Jon Line - Comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I decided I should have a Jon line. I looked at all the pre-made options and decided I didn't like any of them, so I bought some parts and made my own.

Jon Line Clip - $8 from LeisurePro
Snap Shackle - $5 from Amazon
17' of paracord - can't remember - $5?
1' of bungee - $0.50 from Dive Gear Express

2017-03-01%2020.11.45.jpg

I tied a 1' loop into the end of each end of the paracord, to leave it at 15' long.

2017-03-01%2020.07.50.jpg

I did a Prussik loop to attach the paracord to the hole in the Jon Line clip and tied the bungee cord around the loop in the Jon Line clip, then tied 2 loops in the bungee cord, around the clip.

2017-03-01%2020.25.41.jpg

I did another Prussik loop through the snap shackle.

2017-03-01%2020.26.54.jpg

Then tucked all the coiled up paracord through the 2 loops of bungee cord. Snap shackle connected to the Jon line loop to keep it from being able to accidentally pull apart.

2017-03-01%2020.37.59.jpg

2017-03-01%2020.38.14.jpg

During the process, I pondered the hook at the end of the Jon Line clip and decided it is probably to facilitate doing something to ensure the clip doesn't accidentally detach from the anchor line you have it hooked onto.

I figured I could use it like this (corrugated hose standing in for anchor line):

2017-03-01%2020.29.27.jpg

Or this:

2017-03-01%2020.29.54.jpg

Or I could take advantage of my bungee loops to do this:

2017-03-01%2020.31.17.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome and invited.

Some explanation on my motivation. I have never used a Jon line, but I do dive wrecks in NC, where ascents are normally performed following the anchor line up. And I do some of those dives as deco dives. I have not yet had such a strong current that it was a major problem, but I have experienced crowding on the anchor line with people trying to hang while other people try to get by. Not an issue at all when there is little or no current. But it seems like it could be a real cluster if there were a strong current - especially if you're trying to do a longer deco stop, with a buddy or 2 at the same depth.

I know that some people say "never clip yourself to an anchor line." But, it seems like there might be times when it would be really helpful to have both hands available for things other than clutching a Jon line in a ripping current. And, my understanding of the main reason not to clip yourself to an anchor line is the danger of your line getting caught by a passing boat or some other thing where you're being dragged by the line you clipped to yourself. In that situation, a bolt snap or, His Noodliness forbid, suicide clip could be impossible to detach and your only option would be to cut yourself loose - if you can get a cutting device out and use it successfully.

Thus, the snap shackle. It's plenty strong enough to hold me in a current. But, it can be opened/released no matter how much load is on it, just by grabbing the little ring on the side and pulling.

The loop on the ends is big enough to hold onto or even stick your arm through and crook an elbow to hold yourself. But, I'm thinking that it would easiest to attach and to release from, if I just clip the snap shackle to my scooter ring on my crotch strap - or possibly a D-ring on my shoulder strap.

I determined the length of the line with this reasoning: If there is a diver my size that's holding onto the anchor line at the same depth I'm clipped off, and they are fully extended, with the arms straight and their fins straight out behind them, I don't want them kicking me in my face. So, I measured the length of myself from outstretched fingertips to fin tips, laying flat, then added the length from the top of my head to my crotch. That came out to just under 15'. So, I think, with a 15' line, I can clip it to my scooter ring and be pretty safe from being finned in the face.

I'm not entirely happy with the bungee cord and loops for packaging it. It should be reasonably easy to deploy, but I'm not so sure how easy it will be to pack away in the water, as I go to get out. I'm also a little concerned about creating an entanglement hazard for myself at the time of deployment. So, idea in that area would be especially welcome.

All good, Stuart, but also think about how to quickly and efficiently unhook and stow.

I've wondered about making a Jon line out of thick bungee, or at least have a bungee segment in the line, to serve as a shock absorber from ihe inevitable here's and snaps and strumming in the anchor line.

I decided I should have a Jon line. I looked at all the pre-made options and decided I didn't like any of them, so I bought some parts and made my own.
I'm not entirely happy with the bungee cord and loops for packaging it. It should be reasonably easy to deploy, but I'm not so sure how easy it will be to pack away in the water, as I go to get out. I'm also a little concerned about creating an entanglement hazard for myself at the time of deployment. So, idea in that area would be especially welcome.
to be honest it seems a little elaborate to accomplish only one task - do you have other uses in mind for it?
I have a simple option - a long(1.5m ) piece of bungy with clips one each end - i uses it primarily fro deco stops longer than 10min but utilise for other things - a back up bungy for sidemount breaks ( if you dive sidemount that is) or a leash for my buddy if zero or near zero vis

if im on a anchor to the wreck or bottomto a surface buoy I sling it around and clip in or just put my arm through and hang there if im on a boat anchor do the same but just hold with hand and the bungy absorbs wave movement

I can see entanglement being a possibility or just a nuisance

For shortening the line, I would use a Chain Knot, (may also be referred to as a Chain Sinnet or Daisy chain

Quick Video here

I use it on my reef hook, use a double ender to secure the hook to the shackle. when you want to deploy, release the double ender and pull.

I have to admit I've never seen the need for a "Jon line", and view them with some distrust. However each to their own, I don't dive in your location.

Oh - you will see some videos suggesting this method for electrical cords, please don't

All good, Stuart, but also think about how to quickly and efficiently unhook and stow.

I've wondered about making a Jon line out of thick bungee, or at least have a bungee segment in the line, to serve as a shock absorber from ihe inevitable here's and snaps and strumming in the anchor line.

Yeah, I mentioned my concerns about the unhook and stow in my OP. I agree it's a concern. I think I will initially try attaching the Jon line clip to the anchor line using the method in the first picture I posted - i.e. the line itself just wrapped over and pulled into that hook. So, it is simple to unloop the line from the hook and then pull the clip off the anchor line with one hand.

For stowing, I think I would just wind the line around the clip and finish with clipping the snap shackle to the loop on the Jon line clip. Then put the whole thing back in the pocket where it came from. Leaving it that way may actually be the better way to keep it stowed and prepped for deployment, too. I want to actually take it out and play with it.

to be honest it seems a little elaborate to accomplish only one task - do you have other uses in mind for it?
I have a simple option - a long(1.5m ) piece of bungy with clips one each end - i uses it primarily fro deco stops longer than 10min but utilise for other things - a back up bungy for sidemount breaks ( if you dive sidemount that is) or a leash for my buddy if zero or near zero vis

if im on a anchor to the wreck or bottomto a surface buoy I sling it around and clip in or just put my arm through and hang there if im on a boat anchor do the same but just hold with hand and the bungy absorbs wave movement

I can see entanglement being a possibility or just a nuisance

I do not have any other use in mind.

1.5m does not seem long enough, to me. I've been on anchor line hangs where the line was literally dragging me up and down 2 to 3 meters at a time because of surface wave action. This line is intended to be long enough to somewhat insulate me from that, too.

I do agree that entanglement is one of the concerns I have with this. But, that's no different than from using a reel I don't think.

I really considered that option. But:

- I think it would be a lot harder to deploy and attach if the current is really strong, so I'm really having to do it one-handed. Especially if there is also wave action yanking the anchor line up and down.

- I want to be able to clip the Jon line to myself, so I can use both hands for things besides holding on. The double ender is not satisfactory to me for that task. Maybe if I attached a snap shackle to one end of the double ender...

For shortening the line, I would use a Chain Knot, (may also be referred to as a Chain Sinnet or Daisy chain

Quick Video here

I use it on my reef hook, use a double ender to secure the hook to the shackle. when you want to deploy, release the double ender and pull.

I have to admit I've never seen the need for a "Jon line", and view them with some distrust. However each to their own, I don't dive in your location.

Oh - you will see some videos suggesting this method for electrical cords, please don't

Thanks. I was meaning to look up how to tie a daisy chain like that. I've seen it, but didn't know how to do it. That seems like a good idea for this to help reduce the chance of entanglement during deployment.

I have not yet NEEDED a Jon line. But, there have been a few times when it would have been nice to just hang at depth and not have to hold onto anything. The NC wrecks are usually not done as drift dives, so deco hangs mean holding onto the anchor line. With a strong current, that can get tiring. Especially if the surface is rough and anchor line is constantly going up and down several feet at a time.

The times I have used a Jon Line - similar to your setup but I used 1 inch webbing and rolled the webbing and stowed it. I used a loop in the webbing for a single hand hold...
I think rope on the clip is over kill but your mileage may vary...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom