DIY Jon Line - Comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looks nifty, but I'd try to find a pouch of some sort to store it. I personally just use the Dive Rite jon line if I need one and while it's a bit expensive, they work well.

second the monkey chain idea for shortening them

upload_2017-3-2_14-38-48.jpeg

From Petsmart $9.95

I cut the swivel bolt snap off and put a open carabineer that busted the snap on it. For the times I need it, it works very well. I can hook the carabineer through my crotch strap if I will be there a while, if not, I just hang on to it. I rarely use it below my 20 - 30' stops. Fits tightly in my shorts otherwise.

As a plus, if I need to walk my dog.... Always got a leash!

Stuart, when I coil lengths of rope for quick use I like the butterfly coil. You can skip the last step of it in the "Securing" portion, but this is a fairly clear rundown.

Most of my lengths of line/rope/cord can all be 100% extended by simply pulling on one end. With a good butterfly coil, it'd be as simple as shackling yourself to the jon line, removing the bungee loops, and hooking the hook onto the line. Pulling on the hook would fully extend that loop of line and you'd be fully "deployed." I hope that makes sense.

Stuart, when I coil lengths of rope for quick use I like the butterfly coil. You can skip the last step of it in the "Securing" portion, but this is a fairly clear rundown.

Most of my lengths of line/rope/cord can all be 100% extended by simply pulling on one end. With a good butterfly coil, it'd be as simple as shackling yourself to the jon line, removing the bungee loops, and hooking the hook onto the line. Pulling on the hook would fully extend that loop of line and you'd be fully "deployed." I hope that makes sense.

Thanks. That is basically how I coiled the line before I secured it in the bungee loops. My thought is that I would not remove the bungees. I rigged it where the snap shackle end and the clip end both come out the same end of the loops. So, I would just twist the whole bundle of coiled line from the interior of the Jon line clip's V to outside the V, snap the shackle to my scooter ring, hook the clip onto the anchor line, put one turn of line around the clip's hook, and let go. As the current pushes me away, the line will gradually pull out of the two bungee loops until it's fully extended.

I think. I definitely want to try it sometime when there is some current, but little enough that I can swim against it if things don't go as planned. :)

Here's a view from the other end of the cost spectrum... my AN/DP instructor made one for these from twisted manila rope for each student while we watched. He may have been showing off how easily he could splice loops in the rope "like a real sailor", but he also said the rough rope would grip the anchor line with a prusik better than poly and wouldn't slip. And it definitely did not slip while we did deco in an goodly current.

Stuart: Now that I think about it, you wouldn't need to undo the bungee from my system. The coiling that I use would let one coil go at time until the line was taught. and the bungees let go. If that's what your system does, then great! I hadn't seen others use that kind of thing often. Normally I see coiled line rat's nest before it uncoils, which is what the butterfly coil prevents.

Stuart: Now that I think about it, you wouldn't need to undo the bungee from my system. The coiling that I use would let one coil go at time until the line was taught. and the bungees let go. If that's what your system does, then great! I hadn't seen others use that kind of thing often. Normally I see coiled line rat's nest before it uncoils, which is what the butterfly coil prevents.

Yep. I did butterfly coils, but not the turns around the bunch, like were shown in step 2 of the page you linked. I guess great minds think alike. ;-)

Problem is, do you really NEED a Jon line?

I have to tread carefully, here, as Jon Hulbert is a local (to me). Never met him, never tried to. I'll never ever dive in his circles. I do have a picture of him and his buds on the Bow Mariner. Have a flag too. Pic was autographed by all but him. Dive meeting raffle, fun stuff.

Anyway, see pic. It is one of our local versions of the Jon line. It is great for shooting heavy goodie bags and the occasional recovered Danforth anchor. Make sure that the clip can pass through the ring. Several ways to secure the line on the bottom and still be able to run your reel line through it. If you F* up or your reel jams, you aren't going anywhere. Getting pulled off a wreck in the NE Atlantic can make you really unpopular very fast.

Notice the whipping on the finished product. Use nylon line, you need the stretch. No knots, just pull the ends with pliers and cut off flush. They retreat back under the coils then you dress them with neoprene cement. Whip the top and bottom of your splice.

Learn that splice...

Jon Line.jpg

Attachments

• Eye Splice.jpg
    Eye Splice.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 302
Problem is, do you really NEED a Jon line?

I have to tread carefully, here, as Jon Hulbert is a local (to me). Never met him, never tried to. I'll never ever dive in his circles. I do have a picture of him and his buds on the Bow Mariner. Have a flag too. Pic was autographed by all but him. Dive meeting raffle, fun stuff.

Anyway, see pic. It is one of our local versions of the Jon line. It is great for shooting heavy goodie bags and the occasional recovered Danforth anchor. Make sure that the clip can pass through the ring. Several ways to secure the line on the bottom and still be able to run your reel line through it. If you F* up or your reel jams, you aren't going anywhere. Getting pulled off a wreck in the NE Atlantic can make you really unpopular very fast.

Notice the whipping on the finished product. Use nylon line, you need the stretch. No knots, just pull the ends with pliers and cut off flush. They retreat back under the coils then you dress them with neoprene cement. Whip the top and bottom of your splice.

Learn that splice...

View attachment 399162

I was thinking of making up one of these. How long is yours and do you remember what size line you used?

Back
Top Bottom