Pencils for WetNotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pencil that comes with DiveRites Executive slate is my favorite. After seeing the link to the Pop-A-Points, it's the same thing. My only complaint is that if anything it stay sharp too long! IIt writes in such a thin line that it can be hard to see underwater. So I've been wearing down the tip a bit whenever changing points....about once a year!

Scubaroo I've tried almost everything out there and I have found that the best thing (for me) is to take a regular wooden pencil, break off the eraser, sharpen both ends, and add a drop of oil to the tapered wooden surface before a day of diving. This seems to keep them from swelling or splitting!
Norm

Dectek once bubbled...
Roak....where ya staying in Akumal? I know of a couple local Jerseyites down there. One dude from San Diego too.
I left that evening to stay at the airport, so I never saw your question, and when I came back because I was so far behind!

I stayed at Aquatech and was diving with Connie.

And by the way everyone, those pencils are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Roak

I just picked up a pack of Liquid Lead Penciles from Staples for about 5 bucks for 8 of them. Work real well.
Eric

I worked for the largest pencil and oldest pencil manufacturer in the world for 10 years. I think I can tell you a little about pencils. First wooden pencils are made from three parts, the first being two slats of cedar wood, and grooved to hold a piece of graphite lead. The graphite and wood are glued together and pressure applied. Paint is coated on the out side, a ferrel and eraser if needed is fixed on one end. These pencils were never intended for use underwater. If used will swell, the glue will soften and the lead and (bonded) wood will seperate.
There is another type of pencil which used on paper is inferior, but works well under water. It's an extruded pencil. The wood and lead are both plastic and exturded at the same time. Since there isn't any wood, glue, or graphite to delaminate this pencil will not seperate. The best known brand of this type of pencil is American Pencil or Berol.
As for China Markers, or grease pencils, these will not work under water long as they are wrapped in paper with a string close to the wax core. The paper will soak and come off.
The best bet is to fine a cheap golf pencil made by American or Berol. Hope this helps. :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom