Pelham

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what is the water temp like in pelham during the winter months? thanks!

fndmylove:

Rocketman here on Scubaboard tried to get me to go with him and dive wet the first weekend of December last year. He said it was cold but that the water temps weren't that bad. The problem was the air temps between the dives. (which is the real reason that most people dive dry in the winter here.... air temps.)

Michael, I think bugman is verfering to getting Loving:11: that might interfer with some diving:D

Ahh, I see. I've been "busy" lately and not thinking to well. :wink: (Enough of that already, I'm ready to dive! (Is that bad? :p))

Michael

Water temps on bottom will be 55F, I doubt the surface gets any colder, but I can't speak from experience... I've dived ABWA's quarry before, but only in the summer - benefit of having friends in Tuscaloosa(hour SW of Pelham) during foozball season :D

fndmylove:

About the 3d thermocline, the temps is a constant 55 - 57 due to spring fed waters. Temps above that tend to be more seasonal. I can't remember when I hit the 3d thermocline this past Spring, but it definitely was there at 71'. It started getting really chilly around 50'.
Howard

Air temps 58 morning 65 afternoon would have been enjoyable without the 6 to 8 mph wind gusts. I had to wear a beanie and vest during SI. Vis was great around 40' to 60'

surface 72 degrees
50' 72 "
73' 68 "
130' 57 "

I have dove there a couple of times lately and I thought it was a great place. The people were wonderful and the diving was good too.

When I was there @ three weekends ago:
Surface @ 80's
50' upper 60's
60' lower to mid 60's
75' I registered 59 degrees

So far I have not made it past 75' but I want to go back sometime soon and try it again. It is a really nice place to dive and not that far from Montgomery. So if you guys go soon let me know and I would love to meet you all.

fndmylove:
By January it will be in the mid to low 50s top to bottom. December may still be in the low to mid 60s on the surface, just depends on the weather.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom