Peeing in your dry suit mid dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info...

A lot of my uncertainty has to do with mentally coming to grips with the preparation part...:confused:

You can just use hair clippers and cut your nether region hair very short. Much easier/cheaper than waxing. Doesn’t hurt either. And no itching. If you shave, oh God, the itching after (had to do that years ago for a surgical procedure).

And no itching. If you shave, oh God, the itching after (had to do that years ago for a surgical procedure).
The itching is from shaving against the grain (needed for surgery, not needed for this.) Try shaving with the growth of the hair instead. As you said, a little stubble is fine so no need to shave against the grain.

I might be taking a drysuit course soon, and am not sure how far the washroom facilities are from where we will be doing the open water dives. In a wetsuit I can never hold it, so this is always on my mind. In fact, it was the main reason why I waited so long to try drysuit. I might very well start with diapers...and move on to She-Ps.
One thing to bear in mind is that Immersion Diuresis seems to be less of an issue with drysuit diving - from anecdotal evidence anyway. Where you might feel the need to go in a wetsuit you might not find the need mid dive with a drysuit. Try it first and see.

The itching is from shaving against the grain (needed for surgery, not needed for this.) Try shaving with the growth of the hair instead. As you said, a little stubble is fine so no need to shave against the grain.

There’s no need to shave. Use the hair clippers instead. Much better.

<<There is no reason to drink so much that you can't go an hour without peeing.>> Besides the possibility of it being more than hour, you must not be up on the latest hydration guidelines being pushed (unisex). 50% of your body weight = number of ounces of water to drink per day. 200 lbs = 100 ounces. :) yeah, over 12 8oz glasses

I do know some who meet that or are close, without spending all day in the loo.

Wow, gluing stuff to your body to dive. Gotta be tough to be a woman.

Besides the possibility of it being more than hour, you must not be up on the latest hydration guidelines being pushed (unisex).
I am. This is the latest position from DAN on hydration;
Dehydration gets a substantial amount of attention in the lay diving community as a risk factor for DCS, but probably more than is warranted. Sound hydration is important for good health, both for general and for diving health, but for your dive profile, thermal stress and exertion level are far more important risk factors for DCS. The undue focus on dehydration is probably a result of two issues. The first is that substantial fluid shifts can result from DCS, often creating a need for substantial fluid therapy and creating an impression that this was a cause, rather than a consequence, of the disease. The second issue is human nature — the understandable desire to assign blame for a condition that is capricious. DCS is fickle. A diver may adhere to a similar dive profile many times without incident but then develop DCS while following the very same profile. It is comforting to try and identify a single causal agent, even if this is more wishful than factual. It is important for divers to realize that a multitude of factors can subtly affect the risk on any one dive and that there is a probabilistic nature to the disease. Focusing on a range of strategies to reduce risk is more effective than trying to put all the blame on one.

State of Hydration | Decompression Sickness - DAN Health & Diving

There is no reason to drink so much that you can't go an hour without peeing.

Ridiculous. And besides an hour dive means closer to two when you factor in comfortably gearing up and down.

One thing to bear in mind is that Immersion Diuresis seems to be less of an issue with drysuit diving - from anecdotal evidence anyway.

Not in my experience. Get me in the water and I have to pee. Sure just another anecdotal point but if the woman is concerned about making it through the dive (or multiple dives) comfortably without having to pee then we offer viable solutions, not tell her she shouldn't have to pee so much.

@MaxBottomtime yes, that is the position of Dan on the role of hydration in getting DCS...but we weren't talking about drinking water to try to prevent DCS so I wasn't referring to that. Drinking 50% of your body weight in ounces just referred to what exercise types are pushing around here so people could be processing a lot of water. :). I know from personal experience that there are a lot of levels of dehydration with physical effects that don't require running in a desert to get. Spending all our time in air conditioned environments masks your hydration level until you are outside in the heat for a period of time. I finally figured out I was fine when inside but being outside in heat away from shade gave me physical symptoms of feeling awful, sick to my stomach, lethargy, and headaches from dehydration.

@Marie13 I was thinking that gluing stuff to the body is just ANOTHER thing women have to do. I wouldn't know about the condom catheter because as soon as the word "catheter" came out I'd say NO THANKS I'll freeze diving wet instead. :)

Back
Top Bottom