Peeing in my wetsuit attracts shark ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think about it this way, sharks follow scents, Fact.

According to that article, sharks follow scents "to locate food, mates and home sites". Some sharks could also be classified as "sharp sighted, curious animals, prone to taking "taste tests" of unfamiliar objects that catch their eye".

Just knowing those two things why would someone say urine (it has a scent) couldn't possibly attract a shark. If there's a possibility, why do it unless you really do want to see sharks.

:eek:fftopic: Now about peeing in wetsuits in general, I'm not going to make many friends with this but it's been my experience that when people pee in their wetsuits, their wetsuits stink, the fluids running down the boat deck when they take their wetsuits off stinks, makes the boat stink, and they stink afterwards too...you can say it's just gross IMO...sorry pee people. :yuck: :focus:

So what? I dive in Palau every year surrounded by sharks. Its warm, so I don't bother with a wetsuit and pee in the water all the time.

So what? I dive in Palau every year surrounded by sharks. Its warm, so I don't bother with a wetsuit and pee in the water all the time.

It doesn't matter in some places, but if you are trying to do a "Blackwater" or "Pelagic Magic" dive it could matter, meaning if to many sharks show up on those dives it gets canceled. Those particular dives aren't cheap to go on, and there is usually no refund. Divers are warned ahead of time. So reducing the chances of sharks showing up is important to some Divemasters.

I bet that whole "pee in your wetsuit attracts sharks" thing was something contrived and perpetuated by dive shops who are sick and tired of hosing down piss filled rental wetsuits.

I was watching one of Jonathon Bird's episodes the other day, and he had one where sharks were feeding on whale feces. Not sure what the correlation is, but I'll stick with just peeing.

:mooner:

T

:eek:fftopic: Now about peeing in wetsuits in general, I'm not going to make many friends with this but it's been my experience that when people pee in their wetsuits, their wetsuits stink, the fluids running down the boat deck when they take their wetsuits off stinks, makes the boat stink, and they stink afterwards too...you can say it's just gross IMO...sorry pee people. :yuck: :focus:

I'm 100% with you on this one!

I have NEVER urinated in my wetsuit before and why would I?:confused:
I mean, it's not like we are all diving for 3 or 4 hours non-stop. Why don't the "wetsuit urinaters" do their thing prior to submerging? What happens when you want to defecate then...do you dump it in your wetsuit as well?:idk::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Think about it this way, sharks follow scents, Fact.

According to that article, sharks follow scents "to locate food, mates and home sites". Some sharks could also be classified as "sharp sighted, curious animals, prone to taking "taste tests" of unfamiliar objects that catch their eye".

Just knowing those two things why would someone say urine (it has a scent) couldn't possibly attract a shark. If there's a possibility, why do it unless you really do want to see sharks.

Human blood does not attract sharks because we are not currently part of their food chain (although that will change if we keep on overfishing they will quickly discover we are easy prey) so I don't see what pee is going to do.

Back
Top Bottom