Peeing in my wetsuit attracts shark ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which comes 1st the shark or the pee? :) Last time I saw a shark it took a big dump and sped off into the deep green.

I'm no expert on mammalian urine (despite peeing in my wetsuit much of the time), but as a marine biologist I am aware that at least some species of sharks that feed on marine mammals can detect the difference between human and marine mammal blood. My guess is they can do likewise with urine. On top of that, many sharks feed on fish and I'm taking a WAG here that mammalian urine wouldn't do much for them!

I'm going with BS on that. If you really want to attract sharks just get a speargun and pop a few fish. The sharks will be there shortly.

And this is something I've always wondered about. If fish dying on a spear, and trembling like they do attracts sharks, which it certainly seems to do in my experience, what about if you're cold under water and shivering? Will the shock waves from that attract them?

I'm no expert on mammalian urine

Good to know!

I'm thinking that the scientific approach here would be to conduct an experiment in which a diver went for dives in known sharky areas like NorCal, the Red Sea, South Africa, etc and peed/didn't pee their suit. Then count shark sightings. There would need to be many dives at each location to get a good correlation.

Once you have the grant money together I'd be happy to volunteer as the bait.

I think Mythbusters should investigate that one during Shark Week this year! I think I will send them an email!:shark:

Carolyn:shark2:

I don't know about sharks, but I had a remora fall in love with me for a few minutes after I peed in my wet suit. It seemed to attract him/her/it.

I think Mythbusters should investigate that one during Shark Week this year! I think I will send them an email!:shark:

Carolyn:shark2:
If they need divers just let me know. :D:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom