Peeing in a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in the northeast and recently I have been thinking about a drysuit. I know that having one would definitely expand my diving opportunities. I started reading up on them and ran into several articles having to do with the valve/(ahem) condom connection. It sounds like it is uncomfortable, at best (especially the removal part, but a squeeze there is a possibility, too....ouch). Does anybody just drysuit dive wearing Depends? I know that I can't make it through any dive without peeing.

Thoughts?

Late to the thread so haven't read all the comments on this thread. I started my diving in the northeast when I lived in NYC and dove in a 7mm wetsuit. After the first season, I decided to get a drysuit so I could expand my local dive season, and my instructor (who knew I wanted to eventually get into technical diving and cave diving) told me get a P-valve put on my suit when I was ordering my suit. He said I'd need it to stay hydrated for the dives I would be doing.

The P-Valve (plus my She-P for the women divers) were the best investment to my diving after my drysuit purchase. I always have the P-valve connected when I'm diving dry regardless of how long or short the dive may be. With the exception of one buddy who prefers to wear diapers, all my drysuit buddies have a P-valve in their drysuit for the same reasons I do. I have a balanced P-valve so I don't get the squeeze you mentioned.

I enjoy the comfort of knowing I can stay hydrated and not worry about getting out of my gear and drysuit fast enough to hit the bathroom in time. Added benefit when I was diving an off the beaten path Mexican caves where there are no toilets in the wood/jungle. Also great for boat diving so I'm not being knocked around while I'm using "the head" on a boat.

Safe diving, everyone!

Just because I have a pee valve doesn't mean I use it every time. But when I want it, you can't beat it. Could I survive without it, yes. But I am way more comfortable with it.

I find the mere act of "strapping in" causes me to have to pee less. I think I am so afraid of a blow-out, that my body goes full Sahara on me.

If I don't bother, the second I start deco, I gotta go. I am please with how I've been able to master keeping my trim with my legs crossed. :(

Well, if you have decent undergarments, there's a fair chance that immersion diuresis is a lot less of an issue if you dive dry.

No matter what I do, when I dive wet I get some serious issues holding it when I get close to an hour run time. If I'm diving dry (which I usually do), I really have to mess up my limit-the-amount-of-coffee-and-and-make-sure-I-take-a-leak-before-zipping-up routine to have issues as long as my run time doesn't seriously exceed one hour.

This actually answers the exact question I was going to ask, and I'm glad I took time to read before asking it.

In my case, I can have 1h+ dive in warm water typically without a great urge. However, I often dive wet for an hour in cold water, and if temps are below 50F (10C), chances of "warming the suit" are pretty high.

This weekend, I will likely do my first couple of 1h+ cold water dives in a drysuit. I don't have any urination system, and planning to just wing it. It's somewhat comforting to read that urge to urinate is less pronounced when diving dry. It makes sense, based on my limited understanding of physiology of diving wet.

Question from someone who has never used one... How do you pee if you're on the boat doing your surface interval in your drysuit and plumbed in to your p valve?

Question from someone who has never used one... How do you pee if you're on the boat doing your surface interval in your drysuit and plumbed in to your p valve?

I don't have a p valve on my drysuit, but I imagine if the boat was not moving I'd just go hang off the ladder and get it out into the sea.
If the boat was moving I'd ask the captain if he could stop for a few secs or if he'd rather have his beloved boat deck pissed on :D

A quick-disconnect fitting is commonly used. So you just unplug yourself, go to the head, and pee normally.

A quick-disconnect fitting is commonly used. So you just unplug yourself, go to the head, and pee normally.
OK, so you would still need to get your drysuit off... that is what I was wondering. So better to pee before getting back on the boat. thanks

OK, so you would still need to get your drysuit off... that is what I was wondering. So better to pee before getting back on the boat. thanks

Better to pee before getting back on the boat in any case. But don't you usually unzip and pull down your drysuit top for comfort during the surface interval? If so, there's not much more to do if you want to pee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom