Pdic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a cert question. I was certified by the PDIC (professional diving instructors corporation) and am looking to continue my education buy getting some advanced training in the not-too-distant future. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the curriculum put forth by the PDIC. Is it as good as PADI? Does it cover all the same stuff? How is it different from PADI? Will I need to (or should I consider) taking a PADI open water before taking something like PADi advanced open water, or will the PDIC open water cover all the same stuff I'd need to know before taking the PADI advanced?

Thanks.

I did OW with a PDIC shop and it is entirely portable to another agency for continuing education. While there are differences in the published curriculum's the variances in what specific instructors skip or add far outweighs the standards comparison. That being said feel free to take your next step with the best local instructor you can find. Most classes like AOW have some element of skills review and that will serve to close any gaps.

Pete

I have a cert question. I was certified by the PDIC (professional diving instructors corporation) and am looking to continue my education buy getting some advanced training in the not-too-distant future. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the curriculum put forth by the PDIC. Is it as good as PADI? Does it cover all the same stuff? How is it different from PADI? Will I need to (or should I consider) taking a PADI open water before taking something like PADi advanced open water, or will the PDIC open water cover all the same stuff I'd need to know before taking the PADI advanced?

Thanks.

To be honest with you, the training standards of PDIC exceed those of PADI for most courses from Open Water through Instructor. While PADI's instructor development program is excellent for quality control of a diving professional, the actual diving standards PADI instructors are held to may not be as broad-based as some other agencies demand at the instructor level. PDIC Open Water demands more skills and a greater knowledge base from the student. For example, PDIC training asks the open water student to complete air sharing skills with and without the facemask in place which would include making an out of air/gas ascent without a mask both using an additional second stage "octopus" regulator and buddy breathing with a primary regulator. The PDIC Open Water program asks the student to be able to perform self rescue and buddy rescue including the ability to perform rescue breathing in water while towing the buddy toward shore or a boat. The PDIC program also teaches the divers to use US Navy No-Decompression and Standard Air Decompression tables and be able to plan dives at altitude, plan deco dives and conduct omitted decompression procedures at the Open Water level.

The PDIC Advanced Open Water program focuses on boat diving, navigation, search and recovery, diver stress and rescue, limited visibility and night diving, deep diving and decompression diving on air. These are the core requirements. The minimum dives include a skill development and evaluation dive, natural navigation dive, compass navigation dive, night dive, and deep dive. PADI courses allow a little more "fluff" to be interjected at the AOW level. Some PADI instructors will let you earn your AOW by taking fluffier components while others will encourage you to take the components such as those PDIC requires to help educate a diver for better performance at the advanced level.

Personally, I use the skill development dive to demonstrate some technical swimming and propulsion skills and introduce the student to better trim and buoyancy. I introduce the proper use of a reel and line during the natural navigation dive and begin to reinforce the concept of MOD awareness to prep the student for nitrox instruction. I also begin using liftbags as DSMB's at the start of the course. During the compass navigation dive we swim search patterns to locate large objects such as a sunken boat and small objects such as brake assembly and use a liftbag for lifting artifacts. The during the night dive we learn the proper use of lights, good team light communication and how to handle out of air/gas emergencies at night. During the deep dive we plan simulated air decompression dives and handle emergencies such as out of gas deco stops, omitted deco, loss of depth and timing devices, no mask ascents while in deco, etc. I try to get my students to take the night, deep, search and recovery, wreck diving, and other specialties so we can have the time to really get into the nuts and bolts of each discipline so that a night diving certification isn't just going underwater at night looking at fish and coming up to a handshake, but the ability to handle a night dive with good team awareness, light discipline and eventually the ability to safely ascend in the dark while air sharing without lights and perform like cave trained divers in the dark. These are examples of how I care to do a good job as a diving educator for PDIC. There are instructors for other agencies who care to do a good job too and will try to give their best to their students. So, it is the instructor that makes the difference in your training more so than what agency will issue the C-card.

And, yes, you can take a PDIC OW card to a PADI instructor and enroll in a PADI AOW class. The biggest concern for instructors isn't so much what agency issued a card, but how much experience a diver has and how often that diver dives. Divers who continue their education and experience by actively diving tend to be better students.

I'd be happy to come to Alaska and teach you a PDIC AOW course for airfare, a place to sleep, and some cheap food. :D

~ Trace

I agree with Trace here. IIRC the PDIC standard prerequisite for AOW is 25 dives whereas PADI you can go directly into AOW from your OW training. So let me ask you. Which one do you think has higher standards?

Although PADI has prettier pictures in the manuals:D

This is good to know. I too was certified through PDIC. I was worried I made a mistake when it took 6 months and several phone calls to get my c-card.(then I got two) I too am looking to continue my education with more advanced classes, and will not be going through PDIC, only because the dive shop I took my OW class through is closed more than open and hard to communicate with. The shop I use now uses PADI.

I did my Advance through PDIC many years ago but have since moved on. I will soon consider moving on from where I am and I might do the PDIC Instructors.

I am a Padi and Naui Instructor.
Come on down to Ketchikan and I will show you a Fun safe course with no BS.
PM me and we could do an advanced course in short order

To be honest with you, the training standards of PDIC exceed those of PADI for most courses from Open Water through Instructor.

:11: You must be kidding!:wink:

Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom