pDCS=0.66 use deco gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probability of DCS. based on empirical evidence from dives.

50% chance of death means this would be a serious type 2 hit. current navy guidance is 0.1% for type 2, so it would be 6.6 to 13.3 times more risky.

more deco and have a contingency plan for IWR.
Using a deco gas would be a mitigation. So the question is if that was the probability then would you definitely use a mitigation or is that an acceptable risk? Clearly the mitigation has risks of its own (eg changing to a rich gas too deep) and costs (eg training, extra kit, cost of gas).

I would mitigate a 1 in 150 chance of death by any means possible. That is not an acceptable risk.

If mitigation isn't enough to drop the risk theres no dive thats worth that.

Just to put this in perspective: usually the probability of a driving related accident (DCS our other) is assumed to be in the ballpark of 0.01%, one accidents per 10,000 dives.

I would mitigate a 1 in 150 chance of death by any means possible. That is not an acceptable risk.

If mitigation isn't enough to drop the risk theres no dive thats worth that.
For real.

I do this for fun. These risks were discussing are just wild.

The risk is waaaay to high to even consider the dive unless it is mitigated extremely heavily enough. The plan needs some serious tweeking.

Suppose a dive profile has a pDCS of 1.33 on best mix. Suppose that getting bent is very bad with a 50% chance of death due to location etc.

Would you do this dive or use a deco mix to reduce the pDCS?

The level of risk you are willing to take on a dive is a purely personal matter, hopefully based on proper training, and plenty of experience. Those of us with family might have a lower tolerance of risk than those without, but it’s purely personal presuming you can properly risk assess this dive or event. So bearing all that in mind, what does it matter what we all think?

I was conned into thinking GUE training was the best, and here I was never taught how to calculate my pDeath. Turns out I've been under planning all my dives...

In all seriousness what is this? Who teaches this? If you have time to calculate a pDeath why not just calculate the gas you need to safely do a dive. Unbelievable.

Just to put this in perspective: usually the probability of a driving related accident (DCS our other) is assumed to be in the ballpark of 0.01%, one accidents per 10,000 dives.
Yes, but that is from a lot of people doing no stop diving well away from the limits. Those dives will often be limited by gas and so low risk from a deco point of view.

Apparently the USN limit is 2% for mild DCS and 0.1% for serious. I am talking serious here so it sounds like nobody is prepared to accept this level of risk.

What if it took a year of these dives to get get to a 0.66% probability of death? Say 50 or 60 dives at 0.01%, is that ok?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom