Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) needs to man up!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really got it going with this one, huh? :D

I'm far from a hypocrite. I love meat and seafood. The thing is, there's plenty of both available and that can be sustained. When you start killing a species that takes a LONG time to recover (longer than it takes for people to consume) then it's going to be extinct. For every species we send to extinction, that's one more dent in the food chain. Dent a car enough times and eventually it's considered destroyed.

I doubt cows will become extinct because we've established ranches to replenish the food supply. If necessary, some species of seafood could be done the same way. Where will you ever establish a whale farm? Not goin to happen obviously. Do we really need to consume EVERYTHING?

Japan will not stop if you leave them alone. Also, slavery and segregation were legal at one time too. Should people have just said, "oh well, maybe if we ignore it things will get better." I want whales to be around when I get older so I can show my kids. I may disagree with the sea shepherd's tactics sometimes, but at least they have enough balls to do SOMETHING about it.

Your slavery analogy is really over the top.

Japan does not have a history of responding well to foreign nations trying to change their policies...

Why does whaling mean your children won't be able to see whales? You can whale sustainably.

on two wheels:
I doubt cows will become extinct because we've established ranches to replenish the food supply. If necessary, some species of seafood could be done the same way. Where will you ever establish a whale farm? Not goin to happen obviously. Do we really need to consume EVERYTHING?

Well cows might not become extinct but what of the enormous environmental damage that occurs from livestock farming? Is this better than some whales dying? If so, why? Why is it ok for you to eat cows, which the farming of does damage to the environment, but not others to eat whales?

Wait until you see the fundraising email you get:D
Funny thing is that I'm a conservative voter. This goes against my primary beliefs but I love these guys so, I support them.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please stop the name calling, it's not productive, and a violation of the TOS.

Your slavery analogy is really over the top.

Japan does not have a history of responding well to foreign nations trying to change their policies...

Why does whaling mean your children won't be able to see whales? You can whale sustainably.
QUOTE]

By hunting in an internationally recognised whale sanctuary? Where exactly is this sustainability to come from if the very place they're protected is where they're massacred?

Somebody earlier used the 't' word. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Taliban = terrorists, IRA = terrorists, Nelson Mandela = terrorist, USAF = terrorists. I'm sure you get the idea.

By hunting in an internationally recognised whale sanctuary? Where exactly is this sustainability to come from if the very place they're protected is where they're massacred?

Why does hunting in a whale sanctuary mean that your children won't be able to see whales? Minke whales are not endangered. Just because some place is a whale sanctuary does not mean that any whaling going on there is not sustainable.

Considering that we both hail from English-speaking nations, I'm struggling to see where the translation is breaking down.

The sanctuary was established to protect whales, many species of which were at risk of extinction in 1981. Despite attempts to do so, Japan has so far failed to have the sanctuary disbanded and therefore should not be butchering them with harpoons and grenades. Whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary are protected, regardless of whether they're Minkes, Fins or any other species. In Britain, British people have the right to vote... it doesn't matter if they're white, black, Asian or any other colour/ethnicity. The principal here is the same.

I don't know who brought up 'children', but the fact is that if the moratorium hadn't been imposed, many species of whales we saw in 1981 would either be critically endangered or extinct. When animals become extinct, it means that you are unable to see them.

If you are suggesting that these animals are no longer endangered, please find a reliable source of information and contact the IWC.

The sanctuary was established to protect whales, many species of which were at risk of extinction in 1981. Despite attempts to do so, Japan has so far failed to have the sanctuary disbanded and therefore should not be butchering them with harpoons and grenades. Whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary are protected, regardless of whether they're Minkes, Fins or any other species. In Britain, British people have the right to vote... it doesn't matter if they're white, black, Asian or any other colour/ethnicity. The principal here is the same.

So I guess you would be ok with Japan whaling non endangered species of whale sustainably?

I don't know who brought up 'children',

drdrdiver

but the fact is that if the moratorium hadn't been imposed, many species of whales we saw in 1981 would either be critically endangered or extinct. When animals become extinct, it means that you are unable to see them.

Sure. But what about whales that are not close to extinction or endangered at all? Why can't Japan whale them?

If you are suggesting that these animals are no longer endangered, please find a reliable source of information and contact the IWC.

You are presuming me wanting to argue on the internet about this with me actually caring one way or another whether whaling is stopped :wink:

So I guess you would be ok with Japan whaling non endangered species of whale sustainably?

Absolutely. I'm not sure if it was you who asked if I was a vegan, but I'm not. I'm not even vegitarian. Because whaling/fishing is so difficult to regulate, it quickly becomes unsustainable. Therefore, the Southern (and Indian) Ocean Whale Sanctuary (SOWS) must remain protected for any species which reside there.

Sure. But what about whales that are not close to extinction or endangered at all? Why can't Japan whale them?

They can, just not in contravention of the terms of the 1981 moratorium as laid-down by the IWC... of which Japan is a founding member! The SOWS must remain protected.

You are presuming me wanting to argue on the internet about this with me actually caring one way or another whether whaling is stopped

I haven't taken issue with whether you care or not, I'm arguing for the SOWS whereas you're arguing against it. As for me though, I certainly do care... I'd hate for my children to grow up in a world where humans are the only animals left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom