Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) needs to man up!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see him as both. Well, perhaps blustering egomaniac is a bit strong.

It was the nicest thing I could think of to say about him. If I said what I really think of him I would probably get a vacation from this family friendly board.

I just mailed them 50 bucks :)

Looks like he's succeeding with his primary goal.:D

I read somewhere long ago, "Fighting for peace is like f**king for virginity." :cool2: He risks the lives of his crew, violates international laws (boarding a vessel underway without permission), ramming ships, etc. Essentially, he is as much a criminal as they are, just with more acceptable goals. Allowing a crew to "vote" on a mission isn't teaching them to take over if/when he steps down. It's teaching them HIS way which is simply don't make a decision. He may have had a heyday when he was an amazing Captain, leader, whatever. However, if the show is depicting him accurately, those days are long gone. He is NOT a leader.

As for his crew, there are some great and brave people on that boat. The guys that are willing to leave sight of the boat in a RIB, take on water cannons and mother nature are impressive. I can only imagine what could be accomplished if all the money they spend on those efforts were used to press the legal channels for change (such as closing this research loophole). Millions of dollars and the right PR representitive and a skilled attorney can have HUGE impacts in almost any field.

There are already dozens (at least) of similar conservation organisations who challenge such acts through legal channels. I'm an overt supporter of both Sea Shepherd and Shark Trust for example. Sea Shepherd are a direct action group, which is as welcome as the diplomatic approach.

If the diplomatic approach is so effective, please explain why Japan and Norway has consistently breached the rules of the moratorium practically every year since it's inception in 1986. Sea Shepherd are the enforcers, and if the diplomatic approach was enough, they wouldn't have a job to do.

Japan still whales despite Sea Shepherd's actions so doesn't seem 'direct action' has worked either.

Japan still whales despite Sea Shepherd's actions so doesn't seem 'direct action' has worked either.

That's because 'worked' implies that Sea Shepherd's actions have ceased.

They're costing the fleet millions of dollars, whilst saving hundreds of beautiful, graceful and innocent animals from harpoons stuffed with grenade packs... and they're doing this every year. Whether you agree or disagree with Sea Shepherd's actions, this is fact.

As long as this continues, it is 'working'. Would the diplomatic approach reap similar statistics without Watson's intervention? Of course not.

As long as this continues, it is 'working'. Would the diplomatic approach reap similar statistics without Watson's intervention? Of course not.
If you insert any fanatical group in place of "Watson's" ... this can be said for most fanatics and their groups , they believe that their actions are warranted and the only way to get results

There are already dozens (at least) of similar conservation organisations who challenge such acts through legal channels. I'm an overt supporter of both Sea Shepherd and Shark Trust for example. Sea Shepherd are a direct action group, which is as welcome as the diplomatic approach.

If the diplomatic approach is so effective, please explain why Japan and Norway has consistently breached the rules of the moratorium practically every year since it's inception in 1986. Sea Shepherd are the enforcers, and if the diplomatic approach was enough, they wouldn't have a job to do.

So, if I think fuel-burning cars are a crime to nature (regardless of local laws) You have no problem with me slashing your tires, pouring bleach in your gas tank, taking a baseball bat to your car? This is the same thing the wackos on SeaShepard are doing. Taking a personal issue and attacking others to cause economic loss in an effort to force a change. This is also labled as terrorism.

That's because 'worked' implies that Sea Shepherd's actions have ceased.

As I said in a prior post, if I was Japan I would keep whaling just to site Sea Shepherd so to me they've caused the deaths of more whales that would have otherwise occured.

They're costing the fleet millions of dollars, whilst saving hundreds of beautiful, graceful and innocent animals from harpoons stuffed with grenade packs... and they're doing this every year. Whether you agree or disagree with Sea Shepherd's actions, this is fact.

And it is costing Sea Shepherd boats and millions of dollars. This is fact. Perhaps if they hadn't squandered this cash on their anti-whaling missions they would have more money for things like: http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-100517-1.html (a much more worthy mission imo).

Why are whales special and not to be eaten? Are you vegan?

I don't agree with 'of course not'.

Back
Top Bottom