Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) needs to man up!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they took the funds necessary to operate the ships and instead passed them on to a Japanese "lobbyist" they would probably be a lot more effective in influencing Japanese legislation against whaling. That would not allow Watson to play his game, so it would never be considered.

If they took the funds necessary to operate the ships and instead passed them on to a Japanese "lobbyist" they would probably be a lot more effective in influencing Japanese legislation against whaling. That would not allow Watson to play his game, so it would never be considered.

The Japanese are very selfish and they are using this "research" money from whaling to provide themselves with cures for all sorts of things including better sex. They love their whales and aren't changing and will continue to break the law by pretending they're actually do whale research.

You can't convince them to give up what they want by being nice anymore than the Taliban has been nice since we've started being nicer.

I don't agree. I think Sea Shepherd does more harm than good. If I was a whaler and some group like Sea Shepherd started attacking me I'd just whale more. I think if they left Japan alone they would have gotten bored and moved on from whaling by now.

Basically what Japan is doing is legal, whether one disagrees with their actions or not. I would prefer all fishing be stopped myself, including whaling, but I recognise that I can't impose my will on others.

Japan will not stop if you leave them alone. Also, slavery and segregation were legal at one time too. Should people have just said, "oh well, maybe if we ignore it things will get better." I want whales to be around when I get older so I can show my kids. I may disagree with the sea shepherd's tactics sometimes, but at least they have enough balls to do SOMETHING about it.

well there it is ... "we have to do something to save the whales for my children's sake" comment

killing all the whales?
Killing all the whales of one species?
... can you show me any evidence that is what will, or is happening ?

well there it is ... "we have to do something to save the whales for my children's sake" comment

killing all the whales?
Killing all the whales of one species?
... can you show me any evidence that is what will, or is happening ?

Show me that whale populations are exploding. How about proof for that?

The point Im trying to make is that if we let one species or genus be hunted to the brink or extinction then why not hunt all species to extinction. For instance, Tuna stocks are extremely low, yet an international moratorium is impossible to achieve. Also, considering humanities past of hunting things to the edge of their ability to recover I dont have hope that the Japanese actually intend to control themselves. Human hunting + human pollution can really do a whammy on a species. Unless when you go the ocean you see sooooo many whales you can indicate I am wrong. I bet you can't though.

Yes, I am concerned that the future holds a very empty ocean. Quite honestly I would rather err on the side of caution and let the species rebound doubly, than not worry about it and end up with nothing pretty to see on dives. So dramatic yes, but with good cause. Regardless, there is no reason hunt whales and nothing was ever accomplished with a so-so attitude towards change--sometimes you need an extreme position.

First, whale hunting bad, whales good.

Second, "direct action" groups are terrorist organizations, just like ALF, the Taliban, ect. ect., just because this guy isn't doing much damage by comparison, it is what it is.

If I was Captain of a ship in international waters and ANYONE tried to board my vessel by force, I would take whatever action nessesary to prevent that, and dump the bodies overboard. I don't know what international law says on the subject, but I am guessing defending your boat against an attempt to board by force is permited.

Do I think Japan should stop whaling, yes I do. Do I support terrorism, I do not.

"hunted to the brink or extinction"

... maybe their's some data on that one for Minki whales?

I don't want whales hunted in general, but I REALLY don't want ANYONE, GROUP, or whatever deciding that gorilla terrorist like tactics are acceptable ... because they think it's warranted, that the ends justify the means , that the target deserves what they get, or that they brought it on themselves
... I do not see any difference between their thinking and any other extreamist group in the world doing whatever it takes to get their message accross

Both valid points, and certainly something to consider.

First, whale hunting bad, whales good.

Second, "direct action" groups are terrorist organizations, just like ALF, the Taliban, ect. ect., just because this guy isn't doing much damage by comparison, it is what it is.

If I was Captain of a ship in international waters and ANYONE tried to board my vessel by force, I would take whatever action nessesary to prevent that, and dump the bodies overboard. I don't know what international law says on the subject, but I am guessing defending your boat against an attempt to board by force is permited.

Do I think Japan should stop whaling, yes I do. Do I support terrorism, I do not.

"hunted to the brink or extinction"

... maybe their's some data on that one for Minki whales?

I don't want whales hunted in general, but I REALLY don't want ANYONE, GROUP, or whatever deciding that gorilla terrorist like tactics are acceptable ... because they think it's warranted, that the ends justify the means , that the target deserves what they get, or that they brought it on themselves
... I do not see any difference between their thinking and any other extreamist group in the world doing whatever it takes to get their message accross

This thread has stimulated me to send Sea Shepherd another 50 bucks :)

Back
Top Bottom