Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) needs to man up!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The IWC estimates Minke whales in the Southern Hemisphere at 761,000. So averaging 500 a year, the Japanese will need over 1400 years to eradicate the Minke whale. When are you taking your kids? I think you got time.

Your slavery analogy is really over the top.

Japan does not have a history of responding well to foreign nations trying to change their policies...

Why does whaling mean your children won't be able to see whales? You can whale sustainably.

Well cows might not become extinct but what of the enormous environmental damage that occurs from livestock farming? Is this better than some whales dying? If so, why? Why is it ok for you to eat cows, which the farming of does damage to the environment, but not others to eat whales?

Why is my slavery analogy over the top? Is it just brings up a topic you think is more reprehensible than whaling? It is a valid analogy.

Also, why hunt whales? Whale meat isnt supplying food for a nation, it is a delicacy that is very expensive. Also, whale numbers arent so high that we arent making any impact at all. Further, with the destruction of habitat, humans are causing negative impacts on whale number indirectly. Do you know exactly how we are impacting them? Chances are no, because not one biologist in the world truly understands that due to the interplay of whale habitat, breeding number, and food sources.

There is no reason to hunt whales, and defending a horrible practice by saying, "why not kill them?" is ridiculous.

Why is my slavery analogy over the top? Is it just brings up a topic you think is more reprehensible than whaling? It is a valid analogy.

Slavery involves harming humans not non-human animals like whales. Your analogy equates humans and whales which is nonsensical to me... If you were a vegan for moral reasons then fair enough you could make this point as eating animals for food or farming their products means they are our slaves. Are you vegan out of interest?

Also, why hunt whales?

Why hunt any animal?

Whale meat isnt supplying food for a nation,

So? Why is this relevant? Given the obesity levels in Western nations it seems a lot of what we eat isn't really supplying food for our nations either but, more a luxury...

it is a delicacy that is very expensive.

Of course. Because they have to battle hippies in rough seas to get it.

Also, whale numbers arent so high that we arent making any impact at all.

Says who?

Further, with the destruction of habitat, humans are causing negative impacts on whale number indirectly. Do you know exactly how we are impacting them? Chances are no, because not one biologist in the world truly understands that due to the interplay of whale habitat, breeding number, and food sources.

Whales eat a lot, a lot of fish and things like that, which harms fishing stock actually.

Do you know exactly how they are being impacted on by whaling? What about any meat or animal products you use? Or any product you own? Do you know exactly how the processing of them affects the environment?

There is no reason to hunt whales, and defending a horrible practice by saying, "why not kill them?" is ridiculous.

There is no reason for you to eat all that you eat, no reason for you to go diving (this impacts on the environment as well), no reason for you to buy most of what you buy (why do you need more than one pair of shoes? pants? jumpers? why do you need internet access on your leisure time to debate about whaling? All that energy used... Do you have a car? Get my point?).

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, is all.

Also, what Hockeynut said.

Whales eat a lot, a lot of fish and things like that, which harms fishing stock actually.

Do you know exactly how they are being impacted on by whaling? What about any meat or animal products you use? Or any product you own? Do you know exactly how the processing of them affects the environment?

There is no reason for you to eat all that you eat, no reason for you to go diving (this impacts on the environment as well), no reason for you to buy most of what you buy (why do you need more than one pair of shoes? pants? jumpers? why do you need internet access on your leisure time to debate about whaling? All that energy used... Do you have a car? Get my point?).

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, is all.

Also, what Hockeynut said.

Nope not vegan, but i dont eat a whole lot of meat either. And yes, whales eat. We should probably slaughter them to protect the other animals in the ocean, huh? And, im so sorry you are here to let me know that I am wasting my energy on the internet. I should go live in the woods, right? Apparently humans have no hope of doing a leisure activity AND limiting their impact on the environment. Perhaps, if more people thought about limiting their impact on the environment and less time sayin "why not" or screaming 'hypocrite' every time someone defended sustainable practices we could get somewhere.

I might just go out an start harvesting coral now, because Im sure I could NEVER deplete the coral reefs out there, and I like the way it looks on my shelf. Thanks for the idea and inspiration of "Why not?"

I'm torn; part of me dislikes the Sea Sheppard's tactics, but a bigger part of me hates the whaler's and anyone that supports that industry. When it comes down to it, all is fair in WAR.

Okey dokey then...no bitching when another Sea Sherpard boat is sunk and/or people are killed. Remember....all is fair!

Nope not vegan, but i dont eat a whole lot of meat either.

Why do you think your eating and consumption of animal products is better morally than whaling?

And yes, whales eat. We should probably slaughter them to protect the other animals in the ocean, huh?

It's called culling. There's precedent in other species. But no I'm not really suggesting that... only as an example of how it's not all sunshine and roses from the whales themselves :wink:

And, im so sorry you are here to let me know that I am wasting my energy on the internet. I should go live in the woods, right?

No. I don't think you should at all. As I said 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'. You yourself have a huge impact on the environment... not sure why you think you're some how superior than Japanese whalers.

Apparently humans have no hope of doing a leisure activity AND limiting their impact on the environment.

Many leisure activities impact on the environment. Boating, for example. I have no problem with this but I do have a problem with people acting morally superior when they themselves have a big impact on the environment.

Perhaps, if more people thought about limiting their impact on the environment and less time sayin "why not" or screaming 'hypocrite' every time someone defended sustainable practices we could get somewhere.

Exactly... Look at home first, before you look at the Japanese. As Hockeynut said, at 500 a year, you'd take a long time to get through the Antarctic minke whale population...

I might just go out an start harvesting coral now, because Im sure I could NEVER deplete the coral reefs out there, and I like the way it looks on my shelf. Thanks for the idea and inspiration of "Why not?"

If you can harvest coral sustainably, knock yourself out.

The IWC estimates Minke whales in the Southern Hemisphere at 761,000. So averaging 500 a year, the Japanese will need over 1400 years to eradicate the Minke whale. When are you taking your kids? I think you got time.

The IWC is about as honest as any government agency. They want to allow Japan to continue? Simply inflate the numbers. And who's giving the numbers anyway? Japan is the one doing the most "research." :rofl3:

Back to Paul Watson. Having seen the first episode of the season, it looks like there have been some good changes. Seems he has a much more capable right hand man on the Steve Irwin, sent out some great guys for the other boats and moved Peter Brown to a position more suitable for him. Just saddens me that the speed boat gets destroyed. Ugh!!

Just saddens me that the speed boat gets destroyed. Ugh!!

That's what it was there for, it was an expendable prop for the show.

I don't have any children.

As much as I'd like to leave it there for comedy value, I must stress that the principal remains. Doesn't have to be my children, it could be twenty generations down the line. The point is this place will be a lesser place without the whales/sharks/tuna/coral gardens/harp seals... take your pick of all the thousands of species we're doing our best to eradicate.

:rofl3:

Did you really just use that to justify whaling?! One of the funniest posts I've ever seen! If you're worried about harm to fish stocks, let us fight the whalers and you can fight the fishermen. :wink:

That's what it was there for, it was an expendable prop for the show.

That's actually a good call. I was fortunate enough to catch the SS presentation at the London Dive Show last year and the Adi Gill was given a special mention... seemed like it was purely for publicity. The way it was reported during the clashes re-inforced this in my mind. In fact, as a Sea Shepherd supporter, I wouldn't be surprised if it's destruction itself was planned for the cameras.

Back
Top Bottom