Pat Tillman, the Army and The Silver Star

If review shows that Pat Tillman did not merit Silver Star, should it be rescinded?

• Yes, I think the award should be rescinded

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No, I think the awared should stand as is

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'd like to post a question, especially to the members of the board who are decorated veterans, regarding whether or not you think the United States Army should review its decision to award, posthumously, Pat Tillman the Silver Star Medal for gallantry in action given the recent uncovering of the cover up of death by friendly fire.

Do you think the award should be rescinded?

The "coverup" is a total fabrication by the @#$%^&* press. The original combat report suspected the possibility of friendly fire in the "fog of war."
There was never any "coverup," but rather the normal flow of investigation, with the results published at the end of that investigation.
The fact that his death was from friendly fire in no way detracts from his actions and is totally irrelevant to the award.
@#$%^&* press.
Rick

what army?

Well, Zippsy, as I so clearly posted in the initial post, "the United States Army".

If you're going to ask a question regarding a post, please extend the poster the courtesy of reading the thread first.

Slipslop,

Pat Tillman was a young American professional football player who interrupted a lucrative career to serve his country.

He was killed while serving in Afghanistan.

The initial report resulting from the investigation of the event indicated that Tillman was leading an assault against a hostile position when he was killed.

A subsequent investigation showed the facts of the first report to be fabricated.

As a result of the first investigation Tillman was awarded the Silver Star Medal, the third highest award for bravery/gallantry in action which can be bestowed upon a member of the United States armed forces.

Yeah, TC, you're right.
I've edited the post.
Got Iraq on the brain, I guess . . . .

Yeah, i hear you.

By the way, i know about the friendly fire thing but was there more to it than that? I hadn't heard there was.

The award should stand.

I think it should be reviewed, but that is not to say it should be rescinded.

It looks pretty obvious that the military put some spin on events when what amounted to a very high profile poster boy got killed. Acknowledging it was a blue on blue incident would have been potentially devestating to recruitment efforts so I can understand why they were not jumping at the bit to state that fact until they had investigated and were sure.

But unfortunately, their inital inaccuracy in reporting the circumstances of his death casts a pall over the posthumous award of the silver star as it obviously creates some doubt in some people's minds whether the award was just more spin. (there is afterall even a poll on scubaboard. )

So I think the US Army owes it to him to review the award in light of all the available evidence and either confirm or rescind the award. I agree with Rick that whether he was killed by freeindly fire or not is irrelevent. It makes the incident much more tragic, but no less heroic and I think a review would establish that fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom