On This Veteran's Day, Especially Those Who Saw Combat. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo

Banned
Reaction score
South Santa Monica Bay/Los Angeles California, USA
# of dives
1000 - 2499
"To all Veterans alive today --You all deserve long and happy lives in peace. . ."

Rumbaoa, Corporal Prudencio
GENERAL ORDERS
NUMBER 580; 14 AUGUST 1951
AWARD OF THE SILVER STAR. By direction of the President, under the provisions of the Act of Congress, approved 9 July 1918 (WD Bul 43, 1918), and pursuant to authority in AR 600-45, the Silver Star for gallantry in action is awarded to the following-named enlisted man:

Corporal Prudencio E Rumbaoa, RA 29 044 898, Infantry, United States Army, a member of Company A, 19th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division distinguished himself by courageous action near Chaechi-hyon, Korea on 3 June 1951. His company was attacking with the mission of securing a very high and steep-sided hill from an estimated reinforced enemy company, stubbornly defending the hill from well-prepared, sandbagged and camouflaged positions. The enemy had a preponderance of automatic weapons strategically placed on the forward slope which made it necessary for the attacking platoons to work in and destroy them from very close range. As the company advanced up the slope, the lead platoon was pinned down by one of these automatic weapon positions. Corporal Rumbaoa, a rifleman, refused to take cover and continued to advance through the intense enemy fire. Firing his rifle as he attacked, he succeeded in killing the gunner, momentarily silencing the position. Running the next 20 yards with complete disregard for his personal safety, he jumped into the enemy hole. With slashing bayonet and crushing rifle butt smashes, he overpowered and killed the 3 remaining enemy and signaled his company to advance. From this forward and exposed position, he delivered accurate and devastating covering fire for the advancing company as he killed 4 grenadiers who attempted to slow the advance from high ground overlooking the company. Throughout the entire action, he killed 8 enemy and allowed his company to advance and secure the objective. Corporal Rumbaoa's courageous action and deep devotion to duty reflect the highest credit on himself and the United States Infantry. Entered military service from Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii.

Thanks Dad, for your service & duty; For never giving up, for looking after your buddies and for God's Grace in surviving & coming back home to live a long and good Life. . .

To my Father and my Hero, may you now Rest in Peace:
image.jpeg

(To @Mrs. B , note the Combat Infantryman Badge and the Silver Star Ribbon in the picture above -real awards of merit & courage unlike the "poser REMF's" and stolen-valor veterans here on Scubaboard, with the fake wall frame certificates for dubious "combat action". . .)

Wow that's an incredible story! The kind of stuff you see in movies. Apparently you come from good stock.

Wow that's an incredible story! The kind of stuff you see in movies. Apparently you come from good stock.

You have some great Marines in Dunedin that were both Iwo Jima Marines and they came to our ball

We met them for breakfast and they meet there once a week

I’ll download the pic I have with them when my signal is better!

E734CB0C-87D9-4E8C-8CC8-02C4E34725A7.jpeg

Yes those two are a national treasure! I’m blanking in their name but they have the same name and how weird is that???

both at Iwo Jima at the same time and then they became friends in Florida

Really fit and upright, one had a cane but that guy on the left had the body of a fifty year old :wink:

BTW General Bydler told me you have more combat vets per square mile than anywhere in USA

General Bydler = excellent IMO

D3EE12A3-D2D1-40A0-BDCC-31E41B3A893E.jpeg

I think he just retired, his son is a 2nd LT in flight school and JB says so is his daughter

There was an unfortunate element of racism in the Army back in those days as well -which I think just as much motivated my Father to prove he was a worthy American Soldier -the only Filipino/Asian and the smallest man in physical stature in his platoon- and to do what he did on the battlefield. I also think that's why he was only awarded the Silver Star, instead of the higher Distinguished Service Cross Medal (the only one above that is the Medal of Honor).

And this Immigrant -my Father- deservedly earned his US Citizenship as well. . .

Your father deserves everyone's highest respect and the DSC.
From the thread title I think I can add an uncle who parachuted on D-Day with the 507 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne. He landed in a swamp and went on to survive battle for a month and earned the Silver Star. Then, two days before his unit was sent back to England for rest, he was machine-gunned on Hill 95 in France and now rests at the American Cemetery at Normandy.
80930002.JPG

May all stolen valor perpetrators be investigated and revealed, as many already have!

In honor of soldiers who call it Armistice Day, or Poppy Day, I'll add this photo. My grandfather toward the end of WW I, in the uniform of the Eastern Ontario Regiment, His Majesty's Canadian Expeditionary Force. He was lucky, his service was late in the war and he never made it closer to the front than a reserve battalion in England. Many of his friends weren't so lucky.

23379983_10212391551476245_6844628120004206186_n.jpg

Perhaps my great-grandfather was one of his friends. He didn't come home. The story of his service has unfortunately been lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom