Past NDL. And then this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They maybe just fine? I am not sure how equalization issues can be related to DCS issues?

Neither do I. Just wondering about it. I went through hell 12 years ago on my first open water trip with yo-yo diving (still had bad buoyancy skill then). I had water behind my ear drums that took weeks to get rid of them. I think my body slowly absorbed the water out of the inner ear.

I am curious. From my dive computer / Subsurface tests I believe my Aladin runs a BuhlMann 30/90.

Is this considered aggressive?
For a vacation diver doing a week of 5 to 6 dives a day?
I can sure you that Uwatec Aladin is NOT aggressive as compare with Oceanic Veo 180(DSAT). They both have very similar ndl at the bottom but the Veo 180 will allow more dive ndl once above 15m. The difference is huge! Not sure about the Nitrox mode because I haven't done any nitrox dive since acquiring the Veo 180 two yrs ago. Probably irrelevant to you because you do don't use nitrox at all.
I had never done 6 dives a day but 5 dives a day over several days WERE normal especially on liveaboard. Both my Aladin, Pro and Pro Nitrox, never went to deco except on the deep wrecks in Truk but that was only for couple of mins.

Last edited:
I can't recall having an option but in any way I did the table version. Time to refresh my memory on the procedures.
Were you alone on your final deco stop?
You have to abort the deco because of low on air! And you did mention that the dive boat was near by. How come no one bother to drop an emergency tank for you just in case?
Where was the DM on your final stop? Back to the boat and have a ciggy break?
I hope you didn't tip anyone.

When I become convinced the doctor I have is not giving me good advice I get a new doctor, Would you stick with one who was giving you very different advise than other doctors were giving your friends in very similar situations? Especially if they were getting good outcomes? Any time there was as wildly different opinion between doctors as there is between dive computers somebodies medical license should be looked at.

I don't want to ignore my doctor or my dive computer. I want both to give me reasonable solutions.
If you super liberal computer indicating two mins of deco. What would you do? Would you ascend to shallow in such a way that more deco penalty was added?
We are all individual and have various ways to deal with situation. But if I was facing couple of mins of deco in a recreational dive. I will deal with it right away because I only have finite volume of breathing gas and Murphy's Law is always lurking around corner.

Neither do I. Just wondering about it. I went through hell 12 years ago on my first open water trip with yo-yo diving (still had bad buoyancy skill then). I had water behind my ear drums that took weeks to get rid of them. I think my body slowly absorbed the water out of the inner ear.
This could be a great topic for a other thread. My ears get very sensitive as the week progresses. It took many trips to understand what it all meant.

If you super liberal computer indicating two mins of deco. What would you do? Would you ascend to shallow in such a way that more deco penalty was added?
We are all individual and have various ways to deal with situation. But if I was facing couple of mins of deco in a recreational dive. I will deal with it right away because I only have finite volume of breathing gas and Murphy's Law is always lurking around corner.
Only saw it once. My wife was hanging below me at 120' and went into deco. It cleared before we hit 60'.

Point is that we were on the same dive as everyone else, not in our own limited NDL world.

Were you alone on your final deco stop?
You have to abort the deco because of low on air! And you did mention that the dive boat was near by. How come no one bother to drop an emergency tank for you just in case?
Where was the DM on your final stop? Back to the boat and have a ciggy break?
I hope you didn't tip anyone.
I believe the OP provided all of this info - he has been very open. Kudos!

If I remember correctly, the DM stuck with him and then stayed below longer with the OPs computer to prevent it from getting bent (oops, if you need to cheat, just hang it from a weighted rope). So I assume the OP eventually went AOO and bailed.

As a personal note, DMs on a LOB in the Caribbean would have provided all the gas you needed and then made you sit out the next day. They would not have cheated your computer. I have not witnessed this, but on our last LOB trip this happened the prior week. Close to an hour of surprise deco, with multiple DMs joining the victim.

I can't recall having an option but in any way I did the table version. Time to refresh my memory on the procedures.
This is the reason that a computer version of the course was created. People were trained to use the tables, and they they would go out and use computers. The dive shops usually choose what they will teach--they usually don't give the students the choice. They make the chocie for the student, and they don't tell the student there ever was a choice.

am curious. From my dive computer / Subsurface tests I believe my Aladin runs a BuhlMann 30/90.
I would not run that set of GFs. It gives you deep stops and then cuts short the shallow stops.

If I remember correctly, the DM stuck with him and then stayed below longer with the OPs computer to prevent it from getting bent (oops, if you need to cheat, just hang it from a weighted rope). So I assume the OP eventually went AOO and bailed.

I have seen that "hang the computer on a line" trick. Incredible. I have also read threads here where people decide to "adjust" their overly conservative dive computers by entering a richer mix than the one that they are diving.

Normalization of deviance.

Point is that we were on the same dive as everyone else, not in our own limited NDL world.
I misunderstand your point. Every dive I do is very personal. My profile, my computer, my NDL. I dive plan with my buddy but I flap about at different depths than her...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom