Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
CNN POLL:

Does the airline industry offer reasonable compensation for flight delays?
Yes 14% 7391 votes

No 86% 46273 votes
Total: 53664 votes

I don't think anyone reasonably compensates me for anything that negatively affects me. Where in the world did they find 14% who voted yes?

What's your point?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :DEADHORSE:

pilot fish:
Dimdave, what would YOU do if you were stuck in a crammed plane on the runway for 11 hours with no water and clogged tolilets?
Eat one of the tasty looking passengers, and use their seat for a toilet?

Like most people, they would sit and suffer and be upset. Most of the other fun things are illegal. And if you don't like them, never travel on them again (ever since I crashed in a corn field on a Comair flight, I have not used them)

Puffer Fish:

Like most people, they would sit and suffer and be upset. Most of the other fun things are illegal. And if you don't like them, never travel on them again (ever since I crashed in a corn field on a Comair flight, I have not used them)

:rofl3:

Now, that's the first rational reason I've seen posted on this thread to not fly a particular carrier.

Although, not to be insensitive (plane crashes are serious business, duly noted), but I'd be tempted to go the Garp route here. I mean, what are the odds that you'd be involved in two Comair crashes?

"The pilots of Comair Flight 5191, who tried to take off from the wrong runway in Lexington, Ky., early Sunday, were repeating a common error, according to government databases and aviation experts.
The CRJ-100 burst into flames and 49 of the 50 people died after the jet sped off a short runway reserved for small private planes. Jets are supposed to use a nearby 7,003-foot runway that is twice the length of the smaller one."

Puffer, are you saying you were the lone survivor of this crash?:confused:

Puffer Fish:

pilot fish:
"The pilots of Comair Flight 5191, who tried to take off from the wrong runway in Lexington, Ky., early Sunday, were repeating a common error, according to government databases and aviation experts.
The CRJ-100 burst into flames and 49 of the 50 people died after the jet sped off a short runway reserved for small private planes. Jets are supposed to use a nearby 7,003-foot runway that is twice the length of the smaller one."

Puffer, are you saying you were the lone survivor of this crash?:confused:
Years earier flight... was a Saab fairchild turbo prop (340, if I remember correctly)flying from Cinc to Louisville. In the fall of the year (will be obvious later why I remember the time of the year), in the late afternoon.

We left on time, and the route is to fly down the ohio river valley.

Sun was still up when the pilot came over the intercom and told us not to be worried, but they were having a little engine problem and were going to turn one engine off. No need to worry, because the plane could fly on one engine.

They turned off the engine on the other side of the plane (I was seated right level with the blades of the now only working engine.

About 5 minutes later, the captain came on and said that he was wrong, it seems we could not fly on one engine (we later found out that it was a cooling system leak and the two systems are connected on that plane), and were going to have to find a place to "land".

As the sun was setting, he found a very large field to land in - not an airport... a field. After warning us to brace, he brought the plane down.

As we came down, it turned out this was a silage corn field, with 8 to 10 ft corn plants. What I remember most of the landing was that of the blades cutting the corn stalks and throwing them against the side of the plane. I thought they were going to come thru the side of the plane.

We stopped really fast, but it was now dark in the valley, light above, on the hill tops. We could see no houses, and once on the ground, we could not move very easily. The pilot had no communication.

We decided to see if we could get help, but were worried about getting lost in the field, so 6 of us (groups of 2) went up, down and sideways, away from the hills. We decided to walk for 15 or 20 minutes (don't remember the exact amount of time) and if we did not get out of the field, we would come back and wait.

I went sideways to the rows (with the flight attendent), and don't know how far we got, but ran out of time and turned back. When we got back, the others were there also and we decided to sleep on the plane.

We drank the soda, beer, eat the peanuts, and tried to sleep.

In the first light of morning, it was cold out and you could see smoke from a house. The pilot and one passenger left for it. About an hour later, they came back and told us that comair was sending a bus for us and we should hike out of the field (with our bags, if we wanted them). I had a backpack checked bag and took it.

The passenger that went with the pilot told us that they hiked out, knocked on the farmers door, asked to use their phone and called comair. Turns out comair did not tell anyone we went down (bad press) and was not looking for us.

About 2 hours later, a yellow school bus shows up and takes us to Louisville.

About a week later, they have a small announcement that they had a plane make an "unscheduled landing".. I still have the news article at home.

My understanding is that they were hoping we were ok, and if we crashed, well then, how much worse would it have been for them? At the time, they were having major political issues due to maint records, and did not want additional news to come out.

I don't fly on them anymore. Never...ever.

I also crashed on my way to vietnam - in anchorage AK, in an overloaded stretch DC8. The plane broke in three pieces, I believe that around 50 were killed/injured, and the rest of us just waited for another plane to take us to sunny Viet Nam. That one does have an internet record. But avoiding flying with Flying Tiger is easy.

Wow Puffer - quite an experience. Thanks for sharing it.

ComAir is a totally different airline, but I can understand your feelings.

Back
Top Bottom