Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly that is not exactly the case. Flights are NOT being cancelled because passengers are cancelling. The flights are being cancelled by Jetblue because JETBLUE is reorganizing and trying to gets its messed up company in order. They have screwed a lot of people and have now are extendeing that by cancellingf more flights they are unable to handle. :(

catherine96821:
let the market sort it out.
I think it already is (cancellations today)
The market is swift and fair.
The government is rarely the solution to any problem.

I look for Wall St to punish Jetblue, current price, $13.85. I look for it to open lower and exceed it's usual 5 million shares traded daily. I look for it to close down 10% to 15%. I look for increased short positions and increased downward pressure.

The Street will now see that it can no longer maintain its business model of cheap fares, this debacle has revealed why they cannot, and in order for it to stay competitive they will have to raise fares. The BS you will hear is it's because of the Passenger Bill of Rights. NO its not! It's because with those cheap fares they can not maintain a competitive structure and stay competitive with other airlines.

They have a 52 week trading range of $8,90 to $17.02. I see it trading at teh lower end over the next 6 months. We'll see if the public has learned anything also.

pilot fish:
I look for Wall St to punish Jetblue, current price, $13.85. I look for it to open lower and exceed it's usual 5 million shares traded daily. I look for it to close down 10% to 15%. I look for increased short positions and increased downward pressure.

The Street will now see that it can no longer maintain its business model of cheap fares, this debacle has revealed why they cannot, and in order for it to stay competitive they will have to raise fares. The BS you will hear is it's because of the Passenger Bill of Rights. NO its not! It's because with those cheap fares they can not maintain a competitive structure and stay competitive with other airlines.

They have a 52 week trading range of $8,90 to $17.02. I see it trading at teh lower end over the next 6 months. We'll see if the public has learned anything also.

People cry out for cheaper prices. They kick, scream, wail and otherwise demand that someone offer them an alternative to the tyranny of the evil airlines. Then, when they do, not only do they grab what they can, but they gripe about what they have to give up.

The fact of the matter is, that for the past 7 years, JetBlue has been doing EXACTLY what you NOW say is IMPOSSIBLE to do. One incident like this, ONE, in 7 years, and POOF, people like you demand that they give up, close up shop, and play just like the carriers that you railed against 7 years ago when you were screaming about how expensive airline travel was.

In your idyllic paradise of a world, people would jet around the world with unlimited leg room, on time departures and early arrivals, baggage would be hand delivered, flight attendants would be courteous, and all for the phenomonal price of $5 per flight. How's that supposed to work? I don't see too many airlines in the list of most profitable US corporations.

People seem to have come to the conclusion that air travel is some sort of entitlement. They deserve low-cost, high-service air travel because, well, just because. It's crazy.

I'll take the lower costs if the incidence of failure is one day every 7 years. I like those odds a lot better than the ones of your Wall Street analysis coming true.

A stock opening down after they announce they're planning to spend some 30 million dollars on something intangible and pretty much useless to their business. There's a shocker.

If you truly believe you have their stock figured out, how many shares are you planning to short? Maybe you'll be able to fly on your own private jet if you're willing to back up your words with some savvy investment action. I suspect though, that you aren't quite that confident in your predictions.

OHGoDive:
People cry out for cheaper prices. They kick, scream, wail and otherwise demand that someone offer them an alternative to the tyranny of the evil airlines. Then, when they do, not only do they grab what they can, but they gripe about what they have to give up.

The fact of the matter is, that for the past 7 years, JetBlue has been doing EXACTLY what you NOW say is IMPOSSIBLE to do. One incident like this, ONE, in 7 years, and POOF, people like you demand that they give up, close up shop, and play just like the carriers that you railed against 7 years ago when you were screaming about how expensive airline travel was.

In your idyllic paradise of a world, people would jet around the world with unlimited leg room, on time departures and early arrivals, baggage would be hand delivered, flight attendants would be courteous, and all for the phenomonal price of $5 per flight. How's that supposed to work? I don't see too many airlines in the list of most profitable US corporations.

People seem to have come to the conclusion that air travel is some sort of entitlement. They deserve low-cost, high-service air travel because, well, just because. It's crazy.

I'll take the lower costs if the incidence of failure is one day every 7 years. I like those odds a lot better than the ones of your Wall Street analysis coming true.

If you truly believe you have their stock figured out, how many shares are you planning to short? Maybe you'll be able to fly on your own private jet if you're willing to back up your words with some savvy investment action. I suspect though, that you aren't quite that confident in your predictions.

I agree 100% with you. I like the cheaper prices and the service has always been good. Many here cross the border by car and take a JetBlue plane from Burlington, Vt. I've been in worst conditions during a blackout in a cuban airport. Nobody whined about it. As Howard says, stuff happens.

He is a Troll, look at his sig :wink: .:viking2:

pilot fish:

JetBlue Shares Fall Most in 7 Months on Flight Delays (Update3)

By Eric Torbenson and Greg Bensinger

Feb. 20 (Bloomberg) -- JetBlue Airways Corp. shares fell the most in seven months after a winter storm stranded thousands of passengers and Chief Executive Officer David Neeleman said the crisis may cost the company $30 million.

Neeleman apologized to consumers and said JetBlue will implement a ``Customer Bill of Rights'' with compensation payments and procedures to prevent a repeat. The Feb. 14 storm left hundreds aboard planes as long as 10 hours and caused more than 1,000 flight cancellations.

The storm's financial impact, combined with the worst scheduling disruptions in the seven-year-old-carrier's history, could further damage its image with investors, and set back efforts to recover from two consecutive annual losses.

``This was a big wake-up call for JetBlue,'' Neeleman said in a statement. ``If there's a silver lining, it is the fact that our airline is going to be stronger and even better prepared to serve our customers.''

The airline pledged to deplane customers if any aircraft is delayed on the ground for five hours. Customers whose flights have arrived but can't get to a gate will receive vouchers for future travel ranging from $25 to the full amount of a round- trip fare, depending on the length of the delay.

The shares fell 61 cents, to $12.95, at 12:36 p.m. New York time in Nasdaq Stock Market composite trading, after sinking as low as $12.51. It was the biggest fall since a 10 percent drop July 13. They rose 20 percent in the 12 months before today.

Retroactive to Storm

The provisions will be retroactive to Feb. 14, the day of the storm, JetBlue said in the statement.

The airline has given $10 million in refunds, $16 million in travel vouchers and incurred $4 million in incremental expenses, such as overtime, Neeleman said in a conference call. By comparison, JetBlue fourth-quarter earnings were $17 million.

The carrier held hundreds of customers in aircraft on the ground for hours at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and stranded thousands more at the terminal after the Valentine's Day storm, followed by days of additional flight cancellations.

``What happened on Valentine's Day is completely unacceptable,'' Neeleman said in an interview today on CNN.

From Feb. 14 to Feb. 16, JetBlue canceled 617 flights, or 38 percent, of 1,637 scheduled, the company said. The airline canceled 25 percent, or 456, of about 1,800 flights from Feb. 17 through yesterday, spokeswoman Alison Eshelman said.

JetBlue will return to normal operations tomorrow, the company said in a statement.

Largest at JFK

Seven-year-old JetBlue has the most daily departures at Kennedy, about 200 a day, and carried more than one-fourth of the total number of passengers there last year. Its signature is free live satellite television service at each seat.

It has been one of the fastest-growing low-cost carriers, competing against Delta Air Lines Inc., US Airways Group Inc. and other large airlines with a network that's concentrated along the East Coast.

The airline, formed in 1999 with financial backers including financier George Soros, has been headed since its inception by Neeleman, who started Salt Lake City-based Morris Air, which was acquired by Southwest Airlines Co. in 1993.

JetBlue was downgraded to ``equal-weight'' from ``overweight'' today by Morgan Stanley.

`Dead Money'

``The stock will be dead money for the next few months,'' Morgan Stanley analyst William Greene wrote in a note, weighed down in revenue growth, cost initiatives and earnings momentum.

The low-cost carrier will add 1,300 workers for emergency duties, double the number of reservationists for crucial situations and double or triple its base of employees who schedule crew duties, the Wall Street Journal said.

``The company will recover and could become a better airline for it,'' Greene said in his note. ``The company has a public relations problem now and is likely to take dramatic steps to improve its brand image.''

To contact the reporters on this story: Eric Torbenson in Dallas at etorbenson@bloomberg.net ; Greg Bensinger in New York at gbensinger1@bloomberg.

OHGoDive:
Oh, and as an aside, I think I understand why so many people are so extremely horrified at the prospect of spending significant time inside an airplane on the ground. :)

cdiver2:
TWO people thats a very broad brush

No, not when you consider that it's two out of the total number of posters here expressing their horror at being incarcerated inside of a tube of death. That makes it quite a large percentage.

And, if I do say so myself, an interesting observation. :coffee:

Self imposed fines and "restictions" are very ineffective.You can see from the wide slack they have given themselves " -5 hours- covers their butt. People don't want a voucher for future travel on JetBlue when you have screwed up that badly, they want their money back so they can fly on another airline.

"The airline pledged to deplane customers if any aircraft is delayed on the ground for five hours. Customers whose flights have arrived but can't get to a gate will receive vouchers for future travel ranging from $25 to the full amount of a round- trip fare, depending on the length of the delay. "

Got to agree. Five hours is too long - plus in this incedent, they explained that they did ask for evacuation after five hours, but it took more than five more to accomplsh it.

The last thing I'd want is a free ticket or voucher to the same airline who held me hostage in a metal tomb for 11 hours. I'm surprised we haven't seen news of a class action suit yet...?

well, I remember getting dragged around in an RV for days, by my dad, with two minutes at the gas station...so jetting off to Micronesia or Iceland with a wait of five hours might just be okay.

You guys, this doesn't happen that often. I think what we have is a deep seated fear of your loss of control. You can fix that by just getting off. This doesn't need a global fix.

Back
Top Bottom