Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
The only thing necessary for greed and power to win is non-action on the oppressed. It's either get better because required, or worse.... :shakehead

As you can see, some of the people posting in this thread think it's not a big deal and just part of the everyday annoyance of travel. That's how JetBlue, and other airlines will continue the awful practice of incarcerating passengers in a narrow tubeand no food, water or toilets. If that is not abuse, then I don't know.:shakehead

pilot fish:
If that is not abuse

It's not. Nor is it oppression. You guys really need to go look those words up, because I don't think you're using them properly.

pilot fish:
then I don't know.:shakehead

Well, admitting you have a problem is the first step in seeking help.

Oh, and why is it that you allow yourself the privilege of juvenile comments such as:
pilot fish:
OHGOSitDown
or
pilot fish:
OhGoSITONAPLANE
Yet seem to be annoyed when others respond in kind? Do you hold some sort of patent on the concept?

wardric:
I live in a country that is drowning under bills of rights of all sorts.

What???? And they haven't fixed all of your problems? How can that be? Pilot fish is certain that it is all we need to solve the airline crisis.

Maybe if he passed around a petition too.

pilot fish:
Nobody, except JetBlue passengers, was kept on the tarmac, on a major carrier, confined in a plane for 8, 10 or 11 hours in 2006

That's not what I meant. I wonder how many incidents per year there are across the industry, of people having to sit on planes waiting for more than 2 or 3 hours. Not just during this storm. It would add to the discussion greatly to see how often this occurs as a percentage of total flights.

DandyDon:
How often does a kidnapping have to happen to pass a law prohibiting it...?

Jet Blue's first big failure was in Feb 2007.

And with rights forfeited with the purchase of every ticket, agreeing to the airlines policies, could things get worse...?

The only thing necessary for greed and power to win is non-action on the oppressed. It's either get better because required, or worse.... :shakehead

That's what I'd like to know Don. How many other incidents have there been? Including all airlines?

Sorry, misunderstood you. Dandy Don has those figures, or some of them anyway. It has happend a number of times, he stated, and showed links for, and the airline industry promised to do better and POLICE THEMSELVES. We now see what good that did:no

Diver Dennis:
That's not what I meant. I wonder how many incidents per year there are across the industry, of people having to sit on planes waiting for more than 2 or 3 hours. Not just during this storm. It would add to the discussion greatly to see how often this occurs as a percentage of total flights.

Diver Dennis:

HOW DARE YOU TRY TO BE RATIONAL!!!

Diver Dennis:
That's what I'd like to know Don. How many other incidents have there been? Including all airlines?

I'm not sure where you'd find those numbers, since I don't think they report time on tarmac.

Here are some numbers, from 2006, which might help get some perspective.

If you look at 2006, you'll see that 77.4% of all flights were on time. So, theoretically, if they were on time, they were not delayed (at least excessively) on the tarmac.

Of the flights delayed (for all reasons), the average delay was 53 minutes. But, obviously, most of those delays would have taken place with passengers in the terminal (or still flying on a connected flight).

I don't know if those numbers help, but I think that they show that the possibility that large numbers of people are frequently being stranded for long stretches on the airplanes is almost certainly not the case.

It does show how bad weather can wreak havoc with air travel, and that we have a system stretched to it's limits, with pressure from demands such as high volume and low cost.

There are problems and they need addressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom