Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Nobody, except JetBlue passengers, was kept on the tarmac, on a major carrier, confined in a plane for 8, 10 or 11 hours in 2006

pilot fish:
That's how JetBlue, and other airlines will continue the awful practice of incarcerating passengers in a narrow tubeand no food, water or toilets.

:coffee: ...................................

Thanks OGD. I would submit that the occurrence of an incident like this is rare enough that the vast majority of the traveling public would not be affected.

I am more worried about NTSB findings and suggestions that are not implemented because they are not "cost effective". That means that the occurrence of accidents due to certain types of failures are are low enough that the cost of implementing a fix is far less than the cost of lawsuits resulting from passenger deaths.

OHGoDive:
I assume you're addressing me.

Bureau of Transportation Statistics
United States Department of Transportation

AGAIN PSHHTTT What do they know?? :mooner:

If you look at 2006, you'll see that 77.4% of all flights were on time. So, theoretically, if they were on time, they were not delayed (at least excessively) on the tarmac.
:shakehead

I believe most people now realize that when a plane has pulled back from the terminal on time it is considered as ontime departure.:shakehead

If 22.6% of planes are NOT on time, the question is, of the 22.6% that were delayed, what percent of them had languished on the runway for hours?:wink:

For all we know, 22.6% could have remained on the runway for hours? We do not have those numbers. The airline industry has hidden them and the Government has not yet required them. That should change.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Diver Dennis:
Thanks OGD. I would submit that the occurrence of an incident like this is rare enough that the vast majority of the traveling public would not be affected.

I am more worried about NTSB findings and suggestions that are not implemented because they are not "cost effective". That means that the occurrence of accidents due to certain types of failures are are low enough that the cost of implementing a fix is far less than the cost of lawsuits resulting from passenger deaths.
But that does not matter to PF. He does not seem to believe that there would be any cost to implement a solution at all.

However, on the accident front, this is a different topic than a delay of a flight departure. Can you spell PINTO. The comparison that DD makes to kidnapping is a false anology. If we were to take this to the extreme, then there would be no argument against eliminating the death penalty because of the possiblity that one innocent person is executed. The arguments have to be made in perspective. I suggest that comparing accidents to keeping people on an aircraft on the tarmac is also a false analogy. OTOH, implementing a bill of rights is a very heavy handed response to a relatively small problem. I define "small problem" in relation to all of the flights that depart "on time" and experience no or very short flight delays.

edit: gee, look I posted at 747,the time, not the airplane

pilot fish:
:shakehead

I believe most people now realize that when a plane has pulled back from the terminal on time it is considered as ontime departure.:shakehead

Well, that's just not true. But, if you wish to continue to believe it, feel free. Pushed back does not necessarily equal on time. I see how the misconception feeds your hysteria though.

If 22.6% of planes are NOT on time, the question is, of the 22.6% that were delayed, what percent of them had languished on the runway for hours?:wink:

Well, this is a valid question. We know of a handful of flights in 2006 where this did occur. However, we can surmise from the average of 53 minutes per delay that it would be a very small percentage.

For all we know, 22.6% could have remained on the runway for hours?

Could have, but if it were a significant number of them, that would have inflated the average delay time well beyond 53 minutes, wouldn't it have?

We do not have those numbers. The airline industry has hidden them and the Government has not yet required them. That should change.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

So, in order to support your hypothesis that this happens all the time, but we just don't know of it, your assertion is that the airline industry is in collusion with the Government to hide the truth?

This is your argument? I just want to make sure before I consider a rebuttal.

LMAO I just blew snot out of my nose from laughing so hard. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom