Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
What would a more expensive ticket do for me ? I'd still be trapped. First class had to wait too :)
Get you onto a different airline.
From an article I read it appears that the decision to roll off from the gates was taken by a rather youthful (and short staffed) management. Other airlines didn't do it, so didn't suffer the same problems. Their staff were generally older and more experienced, and there were enough of them. Of course....their tickets cost more........:wink:

PF, I think everything has been said here until there is more information.

I think that all opinions have been posted, and I see no indication that anyone involved on the thread is going to change their mind on this.

Until more information may come available, I see no point in re-stating. :wink:

Come on Don, party pooper you.

Oh, that's what you meant by more expensive ticket? Yes, you're right. Sorry, I thought you meant first class on the same airline. makes a lot of sense.

Kim:
Get you onto a different airline.
From an article I read it appears that the decision to roll off from the gates was taken by a rather youthful (and short staffed) management. Other airlines didn't do it, so didn't suffer the same problems. Their staff were generally older and more experienced, and there were enough of them. Of course....their tickets cost more........:wink:

A man was flying from Seattle to San Francisco. Unexpectedly, the plane was diverted to Sacramento along the way. The flight attendant explained that there would be a delay, and if the passengers wanted to get off the aircraft the plane would re-board in 50 minutes.

Everybody got off the plane except one lady who was blind. The man had noticed her as he walked by and could tell the lady was blind because her Seeing Eye dog lay quietly underneath the seats in front of her throughout the entire flight.

He could also tell she had flown this very flight before because the pilot approached her, and calling her by name, said, "Kathy, we are in Sacramento for almost an hour. Would you like to get off and stretch your legs?" The blind lady replied, "No thanks, but maybe my dog would like to stretch his legs."

Picture this:

All the people in the gate area came to a complete standstill when they looked up and saw the pilot walk off the plane with a Seeing Eye dog! The pilot was even wearing sunglasses.

People scattered. They not only tried to change planes, but they were trying to change airlines!

True story.... Have a great day and remember...

THINGS AREN'T ALWAYS AS THEY APPEAR.

pilot fish:
A man was flying from Seattle to San Francisco. Unexpectedly, the plane was diverted to Sacramento along the way. The flight attendant explained that there would be a delay, and if the passengers wanted to get off the aircraft the plane would re-board in 50 minutes.

Everybody got off the plane except one lady who was blind. The man had noticed her as he walked by and could tell the lady was blind because her Seeing Eye dog lay quietly underneath the seats in front of her throughout the entire flight.

He could also tell she had flown this very flight before because the pilot approached her, and calling her by name, said, "Kathy, we are in Sacramento for almost an hour. Would you like to get off and stretch your legs?" The blind lady replied, "No thanks, but maybe my dog would like to stretch his legs."

Picture this:

All the people in the gate area came to a complete standstill when they looked up and saw the pilot walk off the plane with a Seeing Eye dog! The pilot was even wearing sunglasses.

People scattered. They not only tried to change planes, but they were trying to change airlines!

True story.... Have a great day and remember...

THINGS AREN'T ALWAYS AS THEY APPEAR.
People are so picky. A blind pilot complete the first part of the trip just fine, but suddenly they don't trust him to finish the trip...?!

A popular email, I have it with pics. However, not true: http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/pilotdog.htm

Okay here is something new to me....
Two More Flights Abandoned Fliers on Way to Denver
By Gary Stoller, USA TODAY

(Feb. 21) - In a second recent incident of its kind, about 100 passengers on two airline flights diverted from Denver because of bad weather were left behind at a Nebraska airport on Feb. 8.

Darwin Skelton, airport manager at Scottsbluff, Neb., said crews of United Express and American Connection flights left the passengers behind about six hours after landing. The flights, from Madison, Wis., and St. Louis, diverted to Scottsbluff because of fog in Denver.

"It's the first time I've ever seen anything like it, and I hope it doesn't happen to passengers again," Skelton says.

The incident occurred less than two months after two United Express jets diverted to Cheyenne, Wyo., after a blizzard hit the Denver airport Dec. 20 and left without their passengers. Skelton and a passenger, Fran Van Hoogstraat, a business traveler from St. Louis on the American Connection plane, contacted USA TODAY after an account of the Cheyenne incident was published Tuesday.

At Scottsbluff, some passengers rented the few Hertz cars available at the airport, but most later that night boarded a Denver-bound charter bus arranged by Hertz. Scottsbluff is about a 3?-hour drive from Denver.

Van Hoogstraat says passengers were angry. They didn't know what to do and received no direction from the airlines or the pilots, she says. "Nobody communicated with us."

Both planes in the Nebraska incident were operated by St. Louis-based Trans States Airlines, which operates flights under contract with American, United and US Airways. The planes took off from the Nebraska airport without passengers at 4:20 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Bill Mishk, Trans States' vice president of marketing, says the pilots took off only after they learned that buses would be sent for the passengers. "If there was a breakdown in communications, we certainly apologize for it," Mishk says.

Skelton says he talked to the pilots before they departed, and they were unsure when buses would be sent by their company.

Hertz manager Jessica Ryks says she contacted a local bus company after the planes left and collected $20 from each passenger to pay for them. As she was preparing a final receipt for a passenger, she was notified that United Express and American Connection would pay for the buses. She refunded the money.

United Airlines, spokeswoman Megan McCarthy says, apologized "for not communicating soon enough to our customers." American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner says he's unaware of what happened in Nebraska, and it isn't American's responsibility. "Trans States is responsible," he says.

"Let the market sort it out" has a nice ring to it, but it just doesn't seem to work. More and more passengers are treated like bodies to load, park, now dump.

This is a small, regional airline contracting to the majors. Even if we bankrupt the minors, the majors will just contract with new ones, and here we go again.

No, I don't think the market can protect us.... :(

DandyDon:
No, I don't think the market can protect us.... :(
Believe me....in the end it will.......actually......if you believe in Capitalism as a viable economical model it HAS to.
The problem here is that people want things for cheap - they really don't want to pay what it costs. We're all so used to that thinking that the pendulum has swung too far and companies trying to satisfy customer demand for price have cut so seriously into what they offer, guarantee etc that increasingly, when an unusual situation develops, they haven't got it covered. So they have a problem. What do you do when something works OK 95% of the time......but occasionally doesn't? Hire someone to cover that missing 5% who you have to pay for 100% of the time as you never know when it's going to happen?
It's pretty obvious that costs more.......BUT WE DON'T WANT TO PAY!!!!!

It's really simple. You get what you pay for, and when you pay enough....the market WILL protect you.

While we are waiting for the market to sort it out, we need a passengers bill of rights to protect us from abusive treatment by the airlines, such as being confiend against our will on a plane that is parked on the runaway for many, many hours. We cannot let any industry govern itself and impose penalties on itself. Just think of the tabacco industry. If you allow airlines to treat you like a piece of luggage - guess what ?

pilot fish:
While we are waiting for the market to sort it out, we need a passengers bill of rights to protect us from abusive treatment by the airlines, such as being confiend against our will on a plane that is parked on the runaway for many, many hours. We cannot let any industry govern itself and impose penalties on itself. Just think of the tabacco industry. If you allow airlines to treat you like a piece of luggage - guess what ?

+1

The pendulum has swung so far that passengers are being treated simply as objects. If you confront and assert, you often are threatened with "we can call security if you don't sit down and be quiet". Security is being utilized as a way to shield and perpetuate BAD customer service. (not to mention illegal)

"We don't care...we don't have to!" used to apply to 'ma bell' and now applies to airlines.

A Passenger Bill of Rights please, or alternatively people just have to be creative and assertive to get off the plane, as a SAFETY MEASURE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom